new textures - Project 2

Projects around retexturing and remodeling Descent

Moderators: Frustikus, simX, Aus-RED-5

Irontower

Postby Irontower » Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:19 am

Kaizerwolf wrote:Iron Tower; I have a question. Do you think you could make a set of 6 textures (4 walls, 1 floor, one ceiling) that look like an underwater environment?

Let me explain; I had an idea, to build an underwater level, but to utilize the skybox for it. And, would it be a lot of trouble to make the textures animated, like the sun is reflecting through the water?

If it's a hell of a lot of trouble, it's okay. I'm just wondering though! :D

That sounds interesting. I will try it :)
Irontower

Postby Irontower » Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:47 am

Ok, here are some textures to try. All are animated.

download 14,8mb : http://www.descent.at/files/uwtex.rar

karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:12 am

IronTower,

why don't you offer just the caustic effect as a transparent overlay texture? That way you could put it on any other texture.
Irontower

Postby Irontower » Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:58 pm

Because I have no clue about level building. Does D2x-xl use the transparency that I set to the texture
or must this be done by the level builder?

here are the effect textures
http://www.descent.at/files/effect.rar
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:30 pm

Just give the texture some transparency. D2X-XL will just overlay it properly if the level author uses it as overlay, and will also animate it. Btw, my shield texture actually is an underwater caustics texture.
Kaizerwolf

Postby Kaizerwolf » Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:48 pm

Those are awesome man! I love them!

And yes, depending on how I use them, I could put the water by itself on any surface, and still have it be transparent and animate.

Thank you! Those work perfectly!
What if, in 30 years, you're considered for the highest office in the land and get denied because some sneak found that misspelled post of yours about how "Nickledon" sucked and ruins your political career by exposing it?- poxpower
blarget#

Postby blarget# » Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:18 pm

karx11erx wrote:Just give the texture some transparency. D2X-XL will just overlay it properly if the level author uses it as overlay, and will also animate it. Btw, my shield texture actually is an underwater caustics texture.

i know what he means. i just don't know any way to explain it better. :? or is that the only way?

EDIT oh i know
Make a texture with a alpha channel that is only just the water reflection ,(Not the rocks, metal, so on), just a layer of the reflection in a animation.

that way the user can use what ever texture he wants, and slap on your cool water effects.
Kaizerwolf

Postby Kaizerwolf » Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:26 pm

I know those were just a test, however, in the archive, there are only 3 files, and "rock01#0" is corrupt. The other two extract fine.

EDIT; Ack, disregard that. Something screwed up in Firefox for that download, so only 5000KB of it was downloaded. Sorry!

EDIT2; Implemented a few of the textures for use in the level. However, none of them are animated... am I doing something wrong? The only thing i did was replace a few textures using the "mods" folder thing. Do I need to use an already animated texture for these, or can I use something as simple as "rock01" etc?

(ps. I tried replacing the regular water texture with the new one, and it did not replace. Any ideas?)
What if, in 30 years, you're considered for the highest office in the land and get denied because some sneak found that misspelled post of yours about how "Nickledon" sucked and ruins your political career by exposing it?- poxpower
Irontower

Postby Irontower » Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:52 pm

Kaizerwolf wrote:I know those were just a test, however, in the archive, there are only 3 files, and "rock01#0" is corrupt. The other two extract fine.

EDIT; Ack, disregard that. Something screwed up in Firefox for that download, so only 5000KB of it was downloaded. Sorry!

EDIT2; Implemented a few of the textures for use in the level. However, none of them are animated... am I doing something wrong? The only thing i did was replace a few textures using the "mods" folder thing. Do I need to use an already animated texture for these, or can I use something as simple as "rock01" etc?

(ps. I tried replacing the regular water texture with the new one, and it did not replace. Any ideas?)

For the water textures look in the 256 folder and delete the down scaled ones. D2x-xl will replace them with the new ones.

The animations does only work when the original one is also animated, I think.
Could be that you must change this in DLE-Xp.
Irontower

Postby Irontower » Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:16 pm

two new textures testet. Bare iron, military green.
Opinions wanted.

ImageImage
Kaizerwolf

Postby Kaizerwolf » Sun Nov 15, 2009 4:20 pm

I like the bare iron the most.

The army green just seems like it is lacking something... maybe make it more of a camouflage texture?

Still good though, you've really gotten amazing at this texture work Irontower!
korghano
D2X-XL Friend
D2X-XL Friend

Postby korghano » Sun Nov 15, 2009 4:39 pm

Wär es möglich das Du Teile der Metall Textur metl004 in die Oberfläche der Aussenhaut dieser Bots mit einfügen kannst evt. auch in anderen Farben oder der der Bots ?

Last edited by korghano on Sun Nov 15, 2009 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ACER Aspire 7730G Notebook
Intel Core 2 Duo P7350 2GHz
4GB RAM
2x320GB HDD
Nvidia 9300 M GS
8xDVD SM DL LS
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Sun Nov 15, 2009 4:39 pm

WOW! :bounce: The bottom (green-brown) one looks awesome! :drool:

Just the horns need some change, they stand out too much this way.
Irontower

Postby Irontower » Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:51 pm

I had known that :roll: Everybody likes a different one:)
Ok, I will open a new thread for the robot textures and add all downloads to the first post with an updated image for better overview.
Maybe Diedel can move the last posts about the robots to this thread.

Korghano, ich glaub das wird net gut gehen, da die Texturen recht wild um den Bot gewickelt werden. Hier etwas größeres
halbwegs vernünftig zu plazieren ist mit den derzeitigen Modellen nicht gut möglich.

Diedel, die Hörner sind die gleiche Textur wie die Guns. Ich hab sie jetzt etwas dünkler mit weniger Kontrast gemacht.
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:41 pm

dünkler? Mit "ü"? :lolol:

Übrigens, wenn ich nicht deutsch könnte, wäre ich mit Deinem Englisch manchmal voll aufgeschmissen ... :away:

Tja, es müsste sich noch ein Lebensmüder, pardon, Freiwilliger finden, der die Bots neu texturiert. :mrgreen:

Return to “D2X-XL Retexturing & Remodeling Projects”