Help with skybox textures

Projects around retexturing and remodeling Descent

Moderators: Frustikus, simX, Aus-RED-5

karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:33 am

Lightmap size depends on lightmap quality. Lightmap count depends on number of textured faces a level has. For faces that have completely black or white lightmaps, D2X-XL doesn't store the entire lightmap, but only a reference to a black or white lightmap that is only stored once in the lightmap file.

Since you can now have D2X-XL use up to four threads, lightmap calculation should work faster on quad core CPUs now than it did before.

If you equip a Core i7 920 with a good CPU coolder (OCZ Vendetta 2 Direct Heatpipe cooler is a very good and affordable once), you should be able to easily oc that CPU to 3.6 GHz (probably even w/o increasing voltage). Memory speed may play a role too since lightmaps are quite big, especially on high quality levels.
Sykes

Postby Sykes » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:19 pm

Yokelassence wrote:Well, I had an idea that I could distribute my cache files for this level. Assuming that XL can accept cache files produced by other copies of XL

If that is true then all you need to do is put them in your cache folder and the level will load with light maps pre-calculated.

I found this to work locally for me at least, would it work for other D2X-XL users?

This seems like a fantastic idea, but sometimes I delete my cache file as a typical bug testing technique. Would it be possible to include lightmap data with the map download, and the actual lightmap cache could be included in a sub-directory somewhere? D2X-XL could check the map's location first for the cache, and then the default "cache" folder as a secondary location if it can't find it, and then finally begin to create it's own in the default directory if neither locations includes the cache.

It would increase the size of the download, of course, but it's well worth it for big maps.
Aus-RED-5
Forum Moderator

Postby Aus-RED-5 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:26 pm

If it doesn't do that already......

Sykes wrote:Hmm. That'd be a good feature request. Do you know about the feature tracker?
----System Specs----
Case: Corsair Obsidian 650D Black
Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth X58
CPU: Intel Core i7 960 3.20ghz
Heat Sink: Corsair H100 CPU Water Cooler
Memory: Corsair 6GB (3 x 2048mb) DDR3 1600 Dominator (PC12800 - TR3X6G1600C8D)
Video Card: ATi SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7970 3GB GDDR5 OC Edition
Hard Drives: SSD Corsair Force Series 3 F120 120GB & WD5003ABYX Enterprise RE4 500GB
Media Player: LG BH10LS30 BluRay Burner
Power Supply: Corsair HX-850
Monitor: Benq XL2420T LED
Yokelassence

Postby Yokelassence » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:03 am

As I mentioned before the basic idea is just have the cache files available in a separate RAR archive alongside the initial level release. This is for a few reasons: I can have different archives for different lightmap qualities*, people who don't use lightmaps can skip the extra MB's and when you clear your cache you just just unRAR some new ones.

*Using medium lightmap quality, the lightmap cache file for Anthology is around 13MB, which is still bigger than the one for this level despite using less cubes. With max lightmap quality, my level could very well pump out a lightmap cache file larger than 150MB but I have not tested that. The thing is; you are producing different files for different qualities and I am not sure they are cross compatible. Files calculated using low lightmap qualities don't appear to retain all the data that max lightmap quality needs
-Core 2 Duo E8500 3.2Ghz--Radeon HD4850--4GB DDR2-800--Gigabyte EP45-DS3L--640GB Storage--Antec 300 Case-
-Now with Wi-Fi Access-
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:26 am

Yokelassence wrote:Files calculated using low lightmap qualities don't appear to retain all the data that max lightmap quality needs

Incorrect assumption. Apparently you don't know what exactly lightmap files do contain. They are not binary compatible across systems with different endian-ness though.

Return to “D2X-XL Retexturing & Remodeling Projects”