We live in a universe... It's distracting
=========================================================
beware of ounce
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Re: 3D Cockpit model

Postby karx11erx » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:32 pm

Got the texture fixed, but the model's center is too far down ... :?

Edit:

Here is the (preliminary) result of my efforts to get the 3D cockpit into D2X-XL:

I have been replacing the original textures to experiment with the look and also to get an impression of a few things, like UV mapping.

Overlaid with 2D cockpit for a comparison:

The model center being 5 units too far up is probably the smallest problem.
It doesn't look wide enough compared to the 2D cockpit (which is probably due to it being true 3D, so something one could live with).
The cockpit beams look pathetic.
Most of the panels seem to lie flat on the cockpit surface. They should look a bit sunk in.
The texture UV mapping is horrible. The basic texture I have been using is a tiled gray metal texture from D3. You see as good as no structure on the cockpit.

I appreciate the effort that has been put into the 3D cockpit, but it is far from being good enough for D2X-XL. Right now it looks awful, sorry. It would need a lot of work to be finished. I wish MetalBeast had stood to his promise regarding the 3D cockpit ... he'd certainly have created something worthy of Descent, and of D2X-XL.

So MB, in case you read this and have nothing better to do: There is already a code base in D2X-XL to display a 3D cockpit, so if I'd get something useable, I'd finish that work.
Sirius

Postby Sirius » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:26 pm

Just from a usefulness perspective, it takes up far too much of the screen, especially since it makes the instrument panels smaller. (Probably not as terrible as the second picture makes it look though - I notice that that has a modified FOV due to the 2D cockpit clipping the render window.)
Hawkins
Location: /Universe/Milky-way/Sol/Earth/Europe/Greece/Athens/~

Postby Hawkins » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:20 pm

Sirius wrote:...I notice that that has a modified FOV due to the 2D cockpit clipping the render window.)

As a note here, accounting for the different FOV in the two screenshots, the second screenshot is the correct one, despite what it may seem. We want in the slightly greater FoV enforced by the 2D cockpit* to overlay a 3D projection of the 3D cockpit. The first screenshot is deceiving, and probably useless. I notice however, that this 3D cockpit was made with reference to the no-cockpit FoV (1st screen) which is smaller, ending up with a 3D cockpit mode that will have smaller FoV than it's 2D counterpart.

With that in mind, the viewpoint position of this cockpit is wrong (too far), as indicated clearly and solely by the second screenshot.

*the 2D cockpit does not clip the FoV, it pushes the bottom up, just above the cockpit's front, giving extra FoV on the flanks, afaik
Gigabyte® GA-X48-DQ6
Intel® Core 2™ Quad Q6600 @2.4GHz
ATi(AMD®) Radeon™ HD4870
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:46 pm

That is right, the 3D cockpit is way too narrow. That is a result of the cockpit being created for a aspect ratio of 4:3, and something I can easily fix programmatically.

The rest of the points of criticism are harder to fix, and need to be handled by a (the) modeler.
pokeman7452

Postby pokeman7452 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:12 pm

Looks like the angle of the instrument panel isn't steep enough. It needs to be at a sharper angle so that it takes less vertical space. Note that the shield display on the 2D cockpit is actually an ellipse due to the angle. Gosh, I wish I knew how to model :wallbash:.
Laptop: (outdated)——————————————————————————————Desktop:
ASUS G72GXBBCDDDHLMPPPRTVWcdeefghimnoorruyz2 5 6 8000+-./()Newegged
Core 2 Duo (2.5Ghz)ABBDDGHLMPPPRSSTUVWXcdefgimnry6 78000+-/i5 3570K (4.0-4.7ghz)
6GB DDR2ABCDGHLMPPPSSTUVWXcdeefghimnoorruyz2 5 7 8000+-./()16GB DDR3
Geforce GTX 260MABBCDDDHLPPPRSSUVWdghimnoruyz2 5 7800+-./()GTX650Ti
80GB + 500GB HDDACDLMPPPRSSTUVWXcdeefghimnoorruyz2 267-./()2X500GB in RAID0 + 1TB
DL DVD+-RWABBCGGHMPPPSSTUXcdeefghimnoorruyz2 2 5 678000./()52X CD-R | HD DVD/Blu-Ray, DL DVD+-RW + LS
Win 7 Home Pre/XP ProABBCDDDGGLMRSSTUVcdfghuyz22568000+-.()Win 7 Pro/XP Pro
Yoshimitsu

Postby Yoshimitsu » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:31 am

2d Ver1 by MD1032, on Flickr

Hello all,

I have been coming back to this thread for the last year or so hoping to see something new, so I decided to make something new myself.
This 3d cockpit is designed to look exactly like the 2d HUD. It is designed for widescreen and encompasses the entire interior. I built it inside Metalbeast's canopy from the in game model to get an accurate perspective of the struts and proper proportions.

At the moment this is a solid model (not a single polygon) but I have designed it to be converted to a mesh without the difficulty I usually have. That is to say, it is made up of entirely straight lines without a single NURBS curve.

I know that I have never actually created anything for the game despite numerous false starts, but this project has captured my interest like none of the others I have tried. With any luck and some work (hopefully some help) it will actually be taken to completion.

Progress will be slow. I am very busy in my everyday life, but I will work on this at least a little each week. I plan to finish this model even if Diedel is no longer interested in implementing a 3d cockpit, just for my own satisfaction.

There are many things I don't know, and I might ask many questions as I move farther along.

1. Mesh modelling. This shouldn't be to much of a problem because I have built the model for simple conversion, but I have only ever used solid modelling, which is essentially drafting, Autocad style, in 3d.
2. UV mapping. I understand the principle but I have never done it.
3. Texturing. Again I get the idea but I have no clue how to actually do it.
4. Anything related to implementing the model into a game: submodels, sizing, animated textures for monitors, etc.
5. All of the many other things that I don't even know that i don't know.

at the moment I have two specific questions.

First, will D2xxl support quads in a mesh?
Second, is the perspective view that I built the model from even close to the camera angle that Descent uses?

Wish me luck!

3d Ver1 by MD1032, on Flickr

overlay by MD1032, on Flickr

ref by MD1032, on Flickr

Perspective by MD1032, on Flickr
Windows XP home edition (Service Pack 3 plus all updates)
Asrock Dual Series Motherboard
Onboard Sound (ALC888 Audio Codec) Using Realtek HD Audio Drivers
Intel Core 2 Duo 6400 (2.13Ghz)
2GB RAM
ATI Radeon HD 4850
Alter-Fox

Postby Alter-Fox » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:42 am

Nice. I'll wait for this before I do my Let's Play of Lost Levels.
We live in a universe... It's distracting
=========================================================
beware of ounce
Sykes

Postby Sykes » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:46 am

That looks very, very nice. I'm impressed. It really does look just like the original cockpit!

Good work.
Pumo
D2X-XL Expert
D2X-XL Expert

Postby Pumo » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:48 am

Yoshimitsu wrote:...
First, will D2xxl support quads in a mesh?

Yeap, it supports quads or any other polygon (Pentagon, Hexagon, you name it) you may think of in ASE and OOF meshes, as far as I've tested in my own experience with some of the Pumo Mines models. ;)

(And BTW Sykes, good to see you around. Greetings from my part :) )
[Pumo software main website] - Pumo Mines current progress: 60%
-SYSTEM SPECS-
CPU: Intel Core i3 2120 3.30 GHz
RAM: 8GB DDR3 1333MHZ
SSD: Kingston SSDNow V300, 240GB
HDD: Seagate 1TB 7200RPM SATA
External HDD: Seagate Backup Plus Slim 1TB 5400RPM
Video: nVidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti OC 4GB
Sound: RealTek High Definition Audio
Display 1: HP 2311 23" 1080p HD LED Monitor
Display 2: Dell 19" 1440x900 TFT Monitor
Weyrman
D2X-XL Expert
D2X-XL Expert

Postby Weyrman » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:51 am

Hooray! :clap:

More movement in this area :joy:

I really hope we get this one day.

What program are you designing in? I too solid model but have no idea when it comes to meshes and maps etc.

I have MOI which can take cad models and create mesh models if its any help. I have hardly used it but I can easily do a simple import/export to help get the model into a format that some one could continue on with.

Onward and Upward!!
-SYSTEM SPECS-
MBoard:"GigaByte Z68X-UD3H-B3" Motherboard
CPU: Intel i7 E2600 3.40GHz
RAM: 8GB DDR3 2133MHZ
HD: WDC 10EARX 1TB SATA
Video: GigaByte 1G ATI 4890
Monitor: Asus VS428 LCD 24"
Sound: Onboard - now with connected 5.1 sound system
Yoshimitsu

Postby Yoshimitsu » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:13 am

Thanks for the info Pumo. It will really help me not to be constrained to triangles.

Weyrman,

I model using Rhinoceros a 3d drafting program. It is a preferred tool for jewelry designers, which I am. I also have a little experience with Autocad. I appreciate your offer of help, but I will eventually be creating the mesh manually from the solid model in order to satisfy my OCD and to use as few polygons as possible while maintaining maximum precision. If I change my mind, I will definitely take you up on your offer. Rhinoceros has a variety of export options and once the mesh is generated I plan to use 3DS MAX for UV mapping and texturing. I will have to teach myself these things, but I know that there are excellent tutorials online, and many friendly modellers in this community whose brains I could pick.

Speaking of brain-picking; I am curious about What sort of maximum polycount I should aim for?
2GB RAM
ATI Radeon HD 4850
Weyrman
D2X-XL Expert
D2X-XL Expert

Postby Weyrman » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:20 am

I know of Rhinoceros, I use Alibre at work and the copy of MOI is there if you decide you need it.
-SYSTEM SPECS-
Yoshimitsu

Postby Yoshimitsu » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:43 am

The next bit is about finished. Here is the cockpit housed in the Metalbeast pyro where it belongs.

Cockpit in Pyro 1 by MD1032, on Flickr

Cockpit in Pyro 2 by MD1032, on Flickr

Cockpit in Pyro 3 by MD1032, on Flickr

I have been working on creating meshes from my solid model and I think it has been sucessful. The basic model without the screens is at 761 polygons including the pilot's chair. The screens will add a few more but not too many. I have had an idea. Would it possible or practical to model in an actual hud (a clear panel in front of the pilot onto which the reticle and other things like missile lock indicators could be textured?

Cockpit with HUD panel by MD1032, on Flickr

It might add to the immersion for those who, like me, play with 3D glasses. I don't know if anyone else would be interested in that or if it's even possible but I thought I'd throw it out there and see what people think.

I have an important question. What is a SUBMODEL and how do I create one?

Next thing is to transfer over to 3DS-MAX and teach myself how to unwrap a UVW map. Wish me luck.
2GB RAM
ATI Radeon HD 4850
Weyrman
D2X-XL Expert
D2X-XL Expert

Postby Weyrman » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:17 am

My "Descent Desires"

A full 3d cockpit and an Oculus Rift to enjoy it with!

I can see your reasoning for a HUD but I always assumed that the front cockpit glass was already used as a hud or you were "equipped" with eyepiece type sights, particularly with the tunnel vision effect with the sniper rifle.

Practically you will have to discuss this with Diedel and see how much more he is willing to code other than the default cockpit layout.
-SYSTEM SPECS-

Return to “D2X-XL Retexturing & Remodeling Projects”