3D Cockpit model

Projects around retexturing and remodeling Descent

Moderators: Frustikus, simX, Aus-RED-5

Yoshimitsu

Re: 3D Cockpit model

Postby Yoshimitsu » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:55 am

Problem solved! You were right Ben K. Thanks for the reply. Someone on the 3DS MAX forum also pointed me in the same direction. It turned out that each face was assigned to a different smoothing group so to fix the problem I turned off smoothing groups all together.

I have an early draft (or maybe a first coat in painting terms) of some of my textures.

1st textures by MD1032, on Flickr

I will continue to work on these and the others.
Windows XP home edition (Service Pack 3 plus all updates)
Asrock Dual Series Motherboard
Onboard Sound (ALC888 Audio Codec) Using Realtek HD Audio Drivers
Intel Core 2 Duo 6400 (2.13Ghz)
2GB RAM
ATI Radeon HD 4850
Yoshimitsu

Postby Yoshimitsu » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:01 am

Hello all,

I have reached a point where I need some advice and maybe instruction. I have questions about textures that maybe I should have asked sooner.

1. How large can I allow my textures to be?
2. How specifically to I make an animated texture for D2X-XL?
3. How many frames should I have in the animations for;
-The afterburner gauge
-the energy bars
-the shield surrounding the ship icon in the center

4. Should the numbers for the shield, energy, and bomb counters be animated textures or should those just be textured black?
5. Should the left and right monitors have textures?

Depending on your kind answers, I might have to do a bit of re-modeling and re-unwrapping, but live and learn.

Thanks for all the help so far. I am really enjoying this project but I can't wait to get it into the game and use it.
2GB RAM
ATI Radeon HD 4850
Weyrman
D2X-XL Expert
D2X-XL Expert

Postby Weyrman » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:57 am

You and me both! :D :D :D
-SYSTEM SPECS-
MBoard:"GigaByte Z68X-UD3H-B3" Motherboard
CPU: Intel i7 E2600 3.40GHz
RAM: 8GB DDR3 2133MHZ
HD: WDC 10EARX 1TB SATA
Video: GigaByte 1G ATI 4890
Monitor: Asus VS428 LCD 24"
Sound: Onboard - now with connected 5.1 sound system
Ben K

Postby Ben K » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:59 am

I'm not sure if D2X-XL has changed it, but the energy and afterburner bars were not animations in original D2 - the game painted over them with black pixels (a very lazy and ugly way to do it). Ideally I'd make it paint out the full afterburner/energy textures using alpha, showing the empty texture underneath. This is what I assumed it did before building the TEW cockpit, and having discovered what was actually happening I had to redesign the energy and afterburner displays.

Numbers are not part of the texture; D2 draws those on top. It draws the score and message displays under, however - that's another thing that required me to redesign the TEW cockpit. :think:

The shield animation had at least 10 frames but it has been a few years so I'm not sure about the exact number.

I don't know what the upper limit for D2X-XL textures is, but it's at least 1024x1024. You shouldn't need more than that to texture the cockpit.

I would recommend texturing the left and right monitors. I think regular D2 also paints black over them, but D2X-XL doesn't have to. You actually have some scope for making changes here, which is the good thing about working with D2X-XL.
Yoshimitsu

Postby Yoshimitsu » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:03 pm

Thanks for the info Ben K. I have been doing some further reading of the forums and poking though my game files where I have discovered some good information. In particular I found out about strip animations (a 256x256 animated texture with 10 frames will be 256x2560 pixels in reality with frames arrayed vertically).

I am a little confused by the spark texture for energy/repair centers which seems to have 32 frames for each color of spark (64 total). This one has 8 frames vertical by 8 frames horizontal layed out in a 512x512 .tga file. I am assuming that the polygons they are mapped to have a 64x64 texture applied and they read the larger image file by scanning down and then moving over to the right 64 pixels to start the next column of frames. if this is so, it would be a great advantage to me since I would like to have 50 frames for each of my animations and I like that layout better than they vertical one. A question about that texture though. How does the game know to use only 1/2 the image for energy sparks and the other 1/2 for repair sparks?
2GB RAM
ATI Radeon HD 4850
Yoshimitsu

Postby Yoshimitsu » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:08 am

Continuing to texture bit by bit. Here's my latest. Not too much different I know but I'm doing what I can.

This is not a screenshot of the cockpit in the game. I just used an image from the game as a background.

2nd draft by MD1032, on Flickr

I will keep going until I'm happy with the result but if anyone who has more experience with texturing would like to take a crack at it I would happily share the file. I care more that this be a high quality project than I do about claiming credit.

I'm exhausted now. Goodnight.
2GB RAM
ATI Radeon HD 4850
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:59 pm

The spark texture simply has a different, specially coded handling in D2X-XL. It also is not a texture that is mapped to some polygon, but simply an effect tha can be displayed anywhere in a level.
Yoshimitsu

Postby Yoshimitsu » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:11 am

Good to know about the spark texture.

I seem to be doing this one cockpit panel at a time, most recently the missile lock indicator (both states).

3rd draft state 1 by MD1032, on Flickr
Panels on
3rd draft state 0 by MD1032, on Flickr
Panels off

Next up is the Shield Indicator animation.

For the image of the Pyro centered in this display I would like to use a top view render of Metalbeast's Pyro GX. Before I do though I wondered if I should seek his permission and maybe his assistance in getting that render. I am not sure of how to get a good rendering of the model myself since the only publicly available version I am aware of is the .ASE ingame model which I can't open in 3ds Max. I will jump over to his forum and send him a PM. Hopefully he still gets those.

ONWARD!
2GB RAM
ATI Radeon HD 4850
Yoshimitsu

Postby Yoshimitsu » Sun May 12, 2013 5:11 am

The project is still alive.
4th draft state 1 by MD1032, on Flickr

I have been busy looking for and finding a new job. I just finished my first week goldsmithing for a little jewelry shop in Massachusetts. Good stuff. I get to use a laser-welder which is exactly what it sounds like; I am welding gold with a laser!

Anyway long story short I haven't had much time for the cockpit recently, but I have gotten a bit more done (the energy bars). I am still waiting to hear from Metalbeast about an image of his pyro for the shield display, but I should be ready for the next step soon.
2GB RAM
ATI Radeon HD 4850
Weyrman
D2X-XL Expert
D2X-XL Expert

Postby Weyrman » Sun May 12, 2013 11:57 pm

Unfortunately, life and its requirements always has to come before the fun stuff. Glad you've got a job and enjoying it. Glad also that you've been able to squeeze in a bit of cockpit work here and there. Keep chugging! :drink: (actually not that sort of chugging :D )
-SYSTEM SPECS-
Yoshimitsu

Postby Yoshimitsu » Sun May 19, 2013 5:46 pm

I have assembled the shield texture. For the ship I used a composite of Metalbeast's in-game pyro and the original lo-res image from the game. I am quite happy with the result.

I have just discovered the concept of baking lighting into textures with 3DS Max so I will be playing with that. I wonder if when I approach completion somebody who has experience modeling for D2X-XL would be willing to inspect my cockpit to see if there are any steps I have forgotten or just don't know?

For instance I am still not sure what constitutes a sub-model in 3DS Max (or in Descent). Also I am not sure how to permanently link a texture to a model. I'm sure I can answer these questions with some searching but if anyone happens to know the answers off the top of their head I would love to hear them.

Cheers
2GB RAM
ATI Radeon HD 4850
Weyrman
D2X-XL Expert
D2X-XL Expert

Postby Weyrman » Mon May 20, 2013 8:40 am

I am ecstatic with the result! :omg: :clap: :joy:

You have done a marvellous job. Its almost a shame that it will be so small in the instrument panel.

I hope others here can jump in and answer some of your questions for you, we just need them to see this post and be willing to spend a bit of time.

Here's hoping!
-SYSTEM SPECS-
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Mon May 20, 2013 9:51 am

Yoshi,

Very nice job so far! :thumb:

An important note: The cockpit model must be wide (or deep) enough to show the ship interior even at widescreen resolutions. So you need to model enough of it that at 16:9 and 16:10 resolutions the model fills the entire screen and there are no gaps at the left and right screen border.
Yoshimitsu

Postby Yoshimitsu » Mon May 20, 2013 3:51 pm

Thanks for the encouragement guys.

Karx, I designed this cockpit to fit the 16x10 resolution specifically. I modeled the entire interior inside the cockpit of the in-game pyro so it should only take a little adjustment of the camera position for each aspect ratio to achieve a good result. If it turns out to be more difficult than that I would consider eventually making separate models for each size (if it works as is though I would rather not have to).

Here's a screen pasted into the game showing the lighting I have done in the interior.
Near Final by MD1032, on Flickr
2GB RAM
ATI Radeon HD 4850
Hawkins
Location: /Universe/Milky-way/Sol/Earth/Europe/Greece/Athens/~

Postby Hawkins » Tue May 21, 2013 11:06 pm

just wow...
Gigabyte® GA-X48-DQ6
Intel® Core 2™ Quad Q6600 @2.4GHz