Phantom XL thrusters

Projects around retexturing and remodeling Descent

Moderators: Frustikus, simX, Aus-RED-5

Yokelassence

Postby Yokelassence » Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:18 am

karx11erx wrote:The best thing is to live with the fact that the Pyro design doesn't have too much to do with its maneuverability and just go for a pretty and cool looking ship. :)

Thats true, but I am a bit curious: if you are satasfied with a design that makes no sense in terms of maneuverability, why do you heavily protest a design that makes a little bit of sense in terms of maneuverability due to the fact that it would not make total and complete sense in terms of maneuverability? :think:
-Core 2 Duo E8500 3.2Ghz--Radeon HD4850--4GB DDR2-800--Gigabyte EP45-DS3L--640GB Storage--Antec 300 Case-
-Now with Wi-Fi Access-
Sirius

Postby Sirius » Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:33 am

I think the idea is that if you try for realism but can't get there, the end result looks like a failure, whereas if you don't even attempt it, it doesn't.
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:00 am

Yoke,

"ganz oder gar nicht". ;)

If you think it's worth all the extra programming effort, feel free to do it and send me a diff when you're done.
_Dorthoor_

Postby _Dorthoor_ » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:18 am

Alter-Fox wrote:But the main thrusters also include the afterburners. And you can only afterburn forwards...

good point.
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:30 am

blarget# wrote:i concur.
ignore reality and make pretty ships that defy logic. i just cant wait until the ship menu is made :P

The entire game defies physics and logic. If you want to play a physically correct game try the MS Flight Simulator at the highest degree of difficulty. Have fun. We'll meet again in five years then.

The main thrusters are as big as they are w/o afterburning.

If the additional thruster concept should have a chance to work (physically seen), the aux. thrusters at top and bottom of the ship would have to point sideways at a 45 degree angle towards the horizontal plane of the ship. That way you could initiate all lateral and vertical movements via these thrusters. You'd still need thrusters at the front of the ship, and as I said given the fact that the ship can achieve equal speed in all directions the aux thrusters as they are now are grossly misproportioned.

Anyway, it is me who has to code this, and I don't want to. I have no objections against removing the "position lights", but I am not gonna add thrusters to every direction because I don't think it is really worth it. The ship looks gorgeous, so what.

Btw,

MB, Aus-RED and I are pretty convinced that _Dorthoor_ = -JoFFa- (new account because maybe -JoFFa- couldn't log in to his old account).

Return to “D2X-XL Retexturing & Remodeling Projects”