PYRO GX - CODENAME: AVENGER(JoFFa's beastular pyro)

Projects around retexturing and remodeling Descent

Moderators: Frustikus, simX, Aus-RED-5

-JoFFa-

PYRO GX - CODENAME: AVENGER(JoFFa's beastular pyro)

Postby -JoFFa- » Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:55 am

Hey there all. The ones who have had a track of the posts of this forum would notice a certain increase of the activity related to the creation of the models of the ships, not to mention addition of a certain features, by our beloved one, ultimate creator of this forum and D2X-XL a.k.a. Diedel.

All this movements and efforts - influenced greatly on my motivation related to the completion of the Pyro model which I was going to finish but never had time for.
So here i'm going to enlighten you with the process:

0. a REFERENCE.

Ok. back then i've decided to make a Pyro which would bring D to a new level. after D2X-XL provide a possibility to make what i was allways wanted.
So the references for me are:

StarWars
Doom 3
The Homeworld 1-2 ships.
The Eve Online ships.
The Starcraft 1-2 design.

Previously on Pyro:

MB kindly made a brilliant version - at least in mesh - as i heard something still being done about it - unless I've missed something.

Now to all you model builders - this thread will not only enlighten you with the upcoming but probably(i hope) will bring you some tips and tricks I've in turn uncovered whilst creating my ship(for a several years now).

1. A certain amount of idea sketches was created using digitizer and or scan as a basis. . and numerous on paper. On some of them were created a part of the model. The whole idea was to be constrained - the form must be as close as possible to the Pyro GX we all know from D1 (ingame not the cutscenes). Basically it was an effort to "explain" how pyro was able to switch weapons to hold that many of them at once and so on.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

2. Based on those sketches were created a model – which incarnation was released as a Phantom XL by MetalBeast.

ImageImage

Back then I was frustrated with the model actually and never thought that it was suitable to be released. And I gave its concept to MB without problem – as I knew that I would never do that – as I was not glad with the result.

3. A second(green) model was build. It was slightly better. But has its cons related to the structure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7f6bPW4_ZQ&NR=1

4. Based on the Green model was created a third one(you saw in on Pumo forum tread – if you’ve been there – if you want to look – it’s here

http://3d-get.de/pumosoft/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=161

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HS53pqF0 ... re=related

It's even made it to the game

Descent 2
ImageImage

StarWars Battle of Yavin by Bruno R Marcos

...but as i started to come from model to textures and then i was really fighting - as i never had a tech to actually create a skin texture for low-poly models. And yet to be made that time - was the understanding of UVW Unwrapping techniques. which i know now.

5. From 4 sides was made a render of the latest model.

ImageImageImageImage

Then rendered images were put to different map channels. Each channel was applied to model and UVW Mapping projection was applied as a Camera Map Projection. That is render from camera one was applied to the material channel one texture map 1 and UVW Camera Map projection source = Camera 1 from which the render of the map 1 was made.

6. Each of the renders were printed. Over each rendered model was created a drawing – which added details to the faces. then those drawings were scanned and used as a projection maps.
ImageImageImageImage

7. I tried several time to make a textures of the model - and got result i considered failed thrice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVGiYv_bzg4

8. Then was carefully created a model 4. It was created with idea in mind that ship to consist from parts which has to be geometrically tied to a certain formulas not just freeform shapes. It was done with idea that in life there is a trend to optimization while making design of any vehicle. also i was released myself from polycount and i was creating what i was thinking is needed. Its a pure industrial design really. I was thinking that i will just heavy up the model with "intended" details - then just create a Projection modifier to project resulted textures to a simlier model. and then fine tune them.

8. As model created piece by piece – for each part was made trough a UVW Unwrap modifier a plain version of the patch like parts. As in creation of dress tailors use to stretch the fabric on the plain surface. So when it was done the exact plain parts of the model – were put in ArchiCAD – where – additional details was created as a drawing - not a geometry. It's quite a time and brain energy consuming process as it turned out. Then the result was put in a "raster" form and applied to a model as a map. That's the fastest and the most flexible way to create textures. They are geometrically sound and are not related to any natural texture but lines there can clearly be rotated to any degree? creat constraints when needed, and there can be made quads triangles and so on. So i found a way to edit texture fast efficient and cheap for me as i use ArchiCAd for my job daily and i can do complicated things there fast.

09.08.10. Current progress you can see on my you tube channel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bO7-2Po4xo&fmt=35
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_W2lqw53ma8&fmt=35

Today's progress(last update 13.08.10 6:42am (+3GMT):

Polygon count so far 5098(Yes it will be optimized drastically to meet D2X-XL requirements.)

Here is a video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pblIsVCtE3M

"Yup its big. Intentionally. It's a direct screen from my monitor for you to enjoy without decrease of an image quality. Hey you can even make it a wallpaper - eventually....:)"
Last edited by -JoFFa- on Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:12 pm, edited 14 times in total.
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:33 am

Wow! I like the ship with the red in it. It also looks pretty cleanly drawn.

Maybe MB could use this as a base for a light fighter too?
Frustikus
D2X-XL Team
D2X-XL Team

WOW

Postby Frustikus » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:31 pm

:omg:

I'm still looking for words.... I am speechless. :shock:
I want to see the red one ingame !
AWESOME, Joffa ! Brilliant work !
Intel Q9550 (E0) @ 3420 MHz and standard voltage with Sonic Tower Rev.2, Geforce GTX 260 (896 MB), Asus P5Q Deluxe, 6 GB GSkill DDR2-1066, 2x500 GB Seagate @ Raid 0, Soundblaster XFi, Sharkoon Rebel12 Case, Teufel Concept Magnum 5:1, Samsung 2494 SW , Genius Navigator 535, Logitech Wingman FF, Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
-JoFFa-

Postby -JoFFa- » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:54 pm

karx11erx wrote:Wow! I like the ship with the red in it. It also looks pretty cleanly drawn.

Maybe MB could use this as a base for a light fighter too?
why would he - i'm allready building it.
Red_5

Postby Red_5 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:35 pm

All I have to say is...

HOLY CRAP THAT IS AWESOME!
Regards from Red_5

MacBook Pro 13"
2.4GHz dual-core Intel i5 processor
320GB 5400-rpm hard drive
Intel HD Graphics 3000 with 384MB DDR3 SDRAM
4GB 1333MHz DDR3 memory
7 Beautiful Hours of Battery
Capt. Blackwood

Postby Capt. Blackwood » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:45 pm

Hell yes. Though my preferences is for something Simple and sleek, with all the goodies "Concealed".

But those are bad ass.
Aus-RED-5
Forum Moderator

Postby Aus-RED-5 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:40 am

Yeah I like the red one!

You say you are already building it, but to be honest...... how long will we have to wait for it to be finished?? **Hint - Hint**

EDIT: Just a thought.... I'm only judging from what I can see here, but to me the wings span is too long. Either that, they hang too low.

Do the wings sit inside the Shield sphere?

Not being able to see it for myself - in game - the look odd in a way.

I personally would like to see the wings either shorten or lifted up. ;)
----System Specs----
Case: Corsair Obsidian 650D Black
Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth X58
CPU: Intel Core i7 960 3.20ghz
Heat Sink: Corsair H100 CPU Water Cooler
Memory: Corsair 6GB (3 x 2048mb) DDR3 1600 Dominator (PC12800 - TR3X6G1600C8D)
Video Card: ATi SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7970 3GB GDDR5 OC Edition
Hard Drives: SSD Corsair Force Series 3 F120 120GB & WD5003ABYX Enterprise RE4 500GB
Media Player: LG BH10LS30 BluRay Burner
Power Supply: Corsair HX-850
Monitor: Benq XL2420T LED
-JoFFa-

Postby -JoFFa- » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:48 am

Aus-RED-5 wrote:Yeah I like the red one!

You say you are already building it, but to be honest...... how long will we have to wait for it to be finished?? **Hint - Hint**

Well..:) You can be shure that it will be finished how's that.:) I'm working on it every day by the little but I'm working on it..:)

Aus-RED-5 wrote:EDIT: Just a thought.... I'm only judging from what I can see here, but to me the wings span is too long. Either that, they hang too low.

Do the wings sit inside the Shield sphere?

Not being able to see it for myself - in game - the look odd in a way.

I personally would like to see the wings either shorten or lifted up. ;)

It's not finished yet.:) Be patient. This design is pure harmony - it's just not revealed yet.

Heres a treat..:)

Yokelassence

Postby Yokelassence » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:37 am

We are used to seeing the proportions of the wings compared to the body of the Pyro, thats why the wings looks like they make up 60% of the ships entire mass.

I actually think it is some kind of unmanned robotic bomber with no cockpit
-Core 2 Duo E8500 3.2Ghz--Radeon HD4850--4GB DDR2-800--Gigabyte EP45-DS3L--640GB Storage--Antec 300 Case-
-Now with Wi-Fi Access-
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:26 am

The yellow ship is out of proportion. The wings are too massive (not just size, but also at their ends) compared to the tiny tiny fuselage.
Sirius

Postby Sirius » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:54 am

Maybe it's Descent: Gundam Edition.
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:06 am

Yeah, maybe.
Pumo
D2X-XL Expert
D2X-XL Expert

Postby Pumo » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:22 am

lol 'Gundam edition'; you're right.
Well, if my Orbit XC is 'cute' and animeish, why couldn't joffa's ship be Gundam-esque? ;)

Although I agree I find the wings way too big :P
[Pumo software main website] - Pumo Mines current progress: 60%
-SYSTEM SPECS-
CPU: Intel Core i7 4790 3.6 GHz (4 GHz Turbo)
RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333MHZ
SSD: Kingston SSDNow V300, 240GB
HDD: Seagate 1TB 7200RPM SATA
External HDD: Seagate Backup Plus Slim 1TB 5400RPM
Video: nVidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti OC 4GB
Sound: RealTek High Definition Audio
Display 1: LG 24M38H 24" 1080p HD LED Monitor
Display 2: Dell 19" 1440x900 TFT Monitor
-JoFFa-

Postby -JoFFa- » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:57 am

LOL...gloat all you want - its not finished yet...:) "Yello" ship - is the Red Ship - but with more details - it will alow me to make bumpmaps for the "red" ship when i project mapping from the "Yello" ship to the "Red" ship..:)- Its just incomplete thats all..:)

karx11erx wrote:The yellow ship is out of proportion. The wings are too massive (not just size, but also at their ends) compared to the tiny tiny fuselage.

Sometimes i think that my English very bad. Its not finished. It will look heavier believe me.:)
-JoFFa-

Postby -JoFFa- » Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:09 am

Well...I changed a colors so it would look like original Pyro colors in a game. I also have added a flames to thrusters. Some geometry been updated(horns and front thrusters). Overall - bottom belly, main engines and cockpit and mine mounters still have to be done.

Untill then - enjoy of what we have so far.

Return to “D2X-XL Retexturing & Remodeling Projects”