PYRO GX - CODENAME: AVENGER(JoFFa's beastular pyro)

Projects around retexturing and remodeling Descent

Moderators: Frustikus, simX, Aus-RED-5

Frustikus
D2X-XL Team
D2X-XL Team

Postby Frustikus » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:18 pm

Hi JoFFa,

please try to make more screenshots using the map view (fully textured and so on). I wanna see more ;-).
Intel Q9550 (E0) @ 3420 MHz and standard voltage with Sonic Tower Rev.2, Geforce GTX 260 (896 MB), Asus P5Q Deluxe, 6 GB GSkill DDR2-1066, 2x500 GB Seagate @ Raid 0, Soundblaster XFi, Sharkoon Rebel12 Case, Teufel Concept Magnum 5:1, Samsung 2494 SW , Genius Navigator 535, Logitech Wingman FF, Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
-JoFFa-

Postby -JoFFa- » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:39 am

OMG. How didnt i think about that one?..:)

Ahem...A showcase:

The new Pyro - the ship of your life.

It was developed with passion.

The ship that transforms any dog fight...

To the fight of your dreams.

A Pyro GL Avenger...the last frontier...
Frustikus
D2X-XL Team
D2X-XL Team

Postby Frustikus » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:41 am

Hi JoFFa,

absolutely stunning ! :omg: Never seen a ship detailed like that one.
But one criticism: The model looks perfekt but texturewise it shows too many details somehow. It lacks the impression "all in one piece". So the main parts of the model should have the same basic colour. You did it the right way at the "wings", they look awesome. But at the moment nobody can say, whether orange or grey is the main colour of the avenger.
But don´t missunderstand me: I really LOVE that beast !!!
Intel Q9550 (E0) @ 3420 MHz and standard voltage with Sonic Tower Rev.2, Geforce GTX 260 (896 MB), Asus P5Q Deluxe, 6 GB GSkill DDR2-1066, 2x500 GB Seagate @ Raid 0, Soundblaster XFi, Sharkoon Rebel12 Case, Teufel Concept Magnum 5:1, Samsung 2494 SW , Genius Navigator 535, Logitech Wingman FF, Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
-JoFFa-

Postby -JoFFa- » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:05 pm

Thanks for the feedback..;)

The model looks perfekt but texturewise it shows too many details somehow.
It lacks the impression "all in one piece".

Hmm.... I doubt that i get what you mean. It's the design. Its fast to redo it to different colors - less contrast.

So the main parts of the model should have the same basic colour. You did it the right way at the "wings", they look awesome. But at the moment nobody can say, whether orange or grey is the main colour of the avenger.

Both are. Avenger is like a Bugatti Veyron - got color schemes. It can be grey and orange blue and yello and so on. In fact i was thinking about the Mech warrior 4 Mercs like skin variations.
Last edited by -JoFFa- on Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:08 pm

It shows too many details in the textures, and these details do not look like 3D structures, but just like some paint job.
-JoFFa-

Postby -JoFFa- » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:13 pm

You mean marks?

EDIT: Hmm..all this fuzz brought me to a new idea. I'll strip Pyro of any yello color - but i will create several color skins for it. But thats for later.

Karx - I checked the Flames on a model - and its looks fanrtastic - but one thing is - the 2D can be influenced via scaling the flame object - and therefore can be much more in length while 3d flame - is unchangable.
Aus-RED-5
Forum Moderator

Postby Aus-RED-5 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:37 pm

-JoFFa- wrote:Yup i know, thanks..:) but the freecam still not working i tell you.

Well here's the thing.

Have you made a SF bug report?

I'm asking because you keep going on about it and doing nothing that Diedel has ask us all to do when there is a problem.

Notice how he hasn't responded to your complaints? He's probably ignoring it because he's sick of some people not following a simple request.
.... and I can understand that... ;)
----System Specs----
Case: Corsair Obsidian 650D Black
Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth X58
CPU: Intel Core i7 960 3.20ghz
Heat Sink: Corsair H100 CPU Water Cooler
Memory: Corsair 6GB (3 x 2048mb) DDR3 1600 Dominator (PC12800 - TR3X6G1600C8D)
Video Card: ATi SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7970 3GB GDDR5 OC Edition
Hard Drives: SSD Corsair Force Series 3 F120 120GB & WD5003ABYX Enterprise RE4 500GB
Media Player: LG BH10LS30 BluRay Burner
Power Supply: Corsair HX-850
Monitor: Benq XL2420T LED
-JoFFa-

Postby -JoFFa- » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:55 pm

I was not going to post anything. I just notice that - i was hoping that i do something wrong.
Frustikus
D2X-XL Team
D2X-XL Team

Postby Frustikus » Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:31 pm

Hi JoFFa,

one suggestion: Use a grey metal colour for textures all over the ship. Reduce detail. Avenger looks good enough and you must not proof your abilities in modelling and texturing by showing them on just one modell ;-). We know your skills ! :mrgreen: :guru:
-JoFFa-

Postby -JoFFa- » Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:43 pm

Whoa..:) You got a misconception. If it's your way of things - it does not mean that its mine as well. I'm as an artist see Avenger the way you can observe it. I'm not doing it to prove anything. And its work in progress - i remind you...again...

If you're not agree with something - you have a right but that in turn does not mean that your view is superior or not..its just different..:)
And opinion on details on Avenger - well - you're all free to express it. I'm eager to hear it. Does not mean though that i have to agree.

But I'm surely to acknowledge what I'll find valuable and suitable . So feel free to comment. And as i'll release the model - you'll have the possibility to alter maps as its now more "user friendly" then before..:)

You got your point everybody got theirs. I see it that way you see t differently. Its life..:)

Cheers.
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:52 pm

Well, I will post my opinion here then.

The Avenger is a fine model, but I would like to point out a few things:

#1 It appears exaggerated and doesn't suit the Descent / D2X-XL environment well. It would rather fit in an Unreal 3 environment (which I do not dig too much because its either candy colors or very dull, with your ship being on the candy side).
#2 The yellow makes it look like a construction machine.
#3 Many of the textures' details have a very flat 2D look, like a paint job and do not look like some 3D structure (bolts or notches) - I said that before.

Of course nobody hinders you to offer a ship model designed any way you like it, but I cannot yet see it being an "official" D2X-XL model - that would involve not a "my way" approach, but some consensus in the community, and some congruence with the overall D2X-XL display of Descent. Have you ever seen the CGI Star Wars movies? Besides them using some slight cartoon shading (which I am not aiming for) you can see greatly done space vessels (both big and small), particularly regarding texturing.
Last edited by karx11erx on Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-JoFFa-

Postby -JoFFa- » Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:54 pm

:lol: Just saw the Pyro again...:) Screw it :lol: - i LOVE it the way it is..:) I do not get you all - it's PERFECT! I'm so glad it worked out that way. I'm going to complete the incompleted yat textures but do not expect anything drammatic.:) After all i still have Wolf textures to finish. Spare me will ya! I got only two hands :)

In Russia we say "Better - is the enemy of Good."
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:59 pm

Of course you are in love with your own product, but just that you think it is better doesn't necessarily mean it is.
-JoFFa-

Postby -JoFFa- » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:03 pm

#1 It appears exaggerated and doesn't suit the Descent / D2X-XL environment well.

? d2x-xl environment ? You mean the old school geometry of the levels ? You bet its does not suit..You yourself kindly allowed it to be that way..:)

It would rather fit in an Unreal 3 environment (which I do not dig too much because its either candy colors or very dull, with your ship being on the candy side).

Whoa. Now thats a compliment. I'd say that Unreal has a futuristic design. And its very professionally done. You flatter me. As for colors - they can be literally ANY.

#2 The yellow makes it look like a construction machine.

- they can be literally ANY. work in progress...Stuff like that...

#3 Many of the textures' details have a very flat 2D look, like a paint job and do not look like some 3D structure (bolts or notches) - I said that before.

Well you said that once and it's very interesting - i do not get what exactly you mean by that. can you send a sample screenshot with highlighted parts you mention? I wonder whats the idea of this words.

Of course nobody hinders you to offer a ship model designed any way you like it, but I cannot yet see it being an "official" D2X-XL model, and that involves not a "my way" approach, but some consensus in the community, and some congruence with the overall D2X-XL display of Descent.

And?...

Have you ever seen the CGI Star Wars movies? Besides them using some slight cartoon shading (which I am not aiming for) you can see greatly done space vessels (both big and small), particularly regarding texturing.

You mean Clone WArs 3D?
-JoFFa-

More "candy"...

Postby -JoFFa- » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:07 pm

Well...All this "holes for every gun" making the changing of the gun - unseen to others - therefore - sometimes you cannnot see or know what weapon will be fired to you next.(oh well who cares that you'll see which weapon as long as it's shot - but...whatever)

So i was thinking about that and i got an idea. It's not mine - its just some idea i loved when i saw it in The Mass Effect game.

The thing is - there when some option of the gun is activated its shown via hologram.

heres a screen of what i mean.

Soi'm thinking of addition of the same principal. I guess its going to be a special edition pack or so.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Last edited by -JoFFa- on Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “D2X-XL Retexturing & Remodeling Projects”