[HH]==<= New weapons-concepts

Projects around retexturing and remodeling Descent

Moderators: Frustikus, simX, Aus-RED-5

MetalBeast

[HH]==<= New weapons-concepts

Postby MetalBeast » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:47 pm

Hi,

I have started to design new weapons for the new ships.
Just few quick untextured drafts.

Image Image Image

Image Image Image

What do you think ?
If you have any ideas comments, post them here please.
Frustikus
D2X-XL Team
D2X-XL Team

Postby Frustikus » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:42 pm

Hi MB,

good news !

But it would be much easier for us to give some hints about the models, if we could see the new weapons on the ships, for which they are provided.

Anregungen zu den neuen Waffen können wir eher geben, wenn wir sehen, wie sie am jeweiligen Schiffsmodell aussehen.

You´re a supersonic engineer :wink:
Intel Q9550 (E0) @ 3420 MHz and standard voltage with Sonic Tower Rev.2, Geforce GTX 260 (896 MB), Asus P5Q Deluxe, 6 GB GSkill DDR2-1066, 2x500 GB Seagate @ Raid 0, Soundblaster XFi, Sharkoon Rebel12 Case, Teufel Concept Magnum 5:1, Samsung 2494 SW , Genius Navigator 535, Logitech Wingman FF, Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
MetalBeast

Postby MetalBeast » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:57 pm

Those are meant for switchable weapons ;)
It means, laser, superlaser, ION, etc.
-JoFFa-

Postby -JoFFa- » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:38 pm

this is cool. do you want to re-magine the projectiles for them as well?
Frustikus
D2X-XL Team
D2X-XL Team

Postby Frustikus » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:38 pm

Hi MB,

even if they are models for the switchable weapons I would like to see them attached to a vessel.
They must match the look of all three ships (Manta, Phantom, Wolf). So this might be a difficult task.
Intel Q9550 (E0) @ 3420 MHz and standard voltage with Sonic Tower Rev.2, Geforce GTX 260 (896 MB), Asus P5Q Deluxe, 6 GB GSkill DDR2-1066, 2x500 GB Seagate @ Raid 0, Soundblaster XFi, Sharkoon Rebel12 Case, Teufel Concept Magnum 5:1, Samsung 2494 SW , Genius Navigator 535, Logitech Wingman FF, Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:11 pm

Actually I think the Manta should be redone, or we should have an alternative version. It looks very cool, that's out of the question, but it doesn't fit in with the other two ships which are rather edgy. I think a more edgy ship with a similar base ship would fit the bill very well though.

I'll provide a sketch soon.
Yokelassence

Postby Yokelassence » Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:24 am

-JoFFa- wrote:this is cool. do you want to re-magine the projectiles for them as well?

That I would like to see. The closest thing to hi-res projectiles I have seen so far is Pumo's mod which I believe uses models out of D3

Also would new projectile models mean new effect textures? A nice polish to the explosion textures would be providing more unique explosions for plasma/laser bolts, gauss/pheonix impacts and all missiles. EG: How about an actual flash for the flash missile?
-Core 2 Duo E8500 3.2Ghz--Radeon HD4850--4GB DDR2-800--Gigabyte EP45-DS3L--640GB Storage--Antec 300 Case-
-Now with Wi-Fi Access-
MetalBeast

Postby MetalBeast » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:41 am

Hi,

I'm still working on few new weapon concepts:

You can now track the progress on my blog:

Link to D2X-XL related blog entries

Greetings,

MB
MetalBeast

Postby MetalBeast » Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:45 pm

ok, ;)

here are the replacement-models for all the old weapons.
These are just draft models with draft texturing.

See more details on my blog

Yokelassence

Postby Yokelassence » Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:01 am

Looking great MB, I have some constructive critique for you though:

Lasers: I like the superlaser design but the ordinary laser design doesnt look too impressive, You could go for a more extravagant rifle-like look like what Boeng did here:

Helix/Spreadfire: Both designs suggests that the plasma particles fire in a fixed array of 3 bolts. But we know this isnt true. I suggest putting the heads of both guns into a rotating axle. The current Helix already suggests this with its tubular design. Also the Helix should have 5 barrels.

Plasma: Cool, but more green paint :)

Pheonix: Love it :D

Fusion: Love it, but needs more, im thinking more along the lines of a "massive orbital ion cannon" here

Omega: Nope sorry, looks like a rocket launcher. This is a lightning gun, I'm looking for electrodes, filaments, elements and lights. See Unreal Tournement and Quake lightning guns for reference.

Gauss/Vulcan: Consider one of these for vulcan:

Gauss is not a bigger vulcan. It fires much much slower so it probably only needs 3-1 barrels but those barrels would need to be much much bigger to accomodate its larger ordinance. Im thinking more along the lines of an Anti-Air cannon
-Core 2 Duo E8500 3.2Ghz--Radeon HD4850--4GB DDR2-800--Gigabyte EP45-DS3L--640GB Storage--Antec 300 Case-

-Now with Wi-Fi Access-
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:14 am

Yoko is quite right. I think the helix could use more (probably rotating) barrels. The fusion needs more stuff too (might look more like a rail gun, with massive coils to speed up their payload). Plasma should have a more round barrel (how about an octagonal diameter)? Feel free to make the Omega very different - how about a slim inner rod with extra stuff around (e.g. a helix)?

Helix: Mehr (evl. rotierende) Läufe
Fusion: Mehr "Zeugs". Denk mal an einen Massebeschleuniger mit massiven Spulen entlang eines Laufs.
Plasma: Zu eckig (vielleicht 8eckiger Querschnitt?)
Omega: Mach die ruhig richtig anders. Das Ding schiesst wie Yoko sagt Blitze. Vielleicht z.B. eine Spirale mit einem dicken Stab/dünnen Rohr innen drin?

Und mach die Waffen nicht zu "abgelutscht" (liegt das am Rendern/fehlen von Texturen?)
Frustikus
D2X-XL Team
D2X-XL Team

Postby Frustikus » Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:37 am

Hi MB,
the models look rather good.
Gauss and Vulcan do not need a fix, imo. I have to disagree with karx, the new plasma looks beautiful attached to the Phantom, but I would make the mouth tube only half as high. The "heads" of spread and Helix can rotate, which should be reflected by the models (rotational joint behind the mouth part). The new Phoenix looks great and can be maintained. I dont like the standard laser. The front part (the two cones that stick together with their base plate) is interesting, but I would make this part shorter and use it only as a form of muzzle brake, and use an otherwise normal mouth tube, as before. Because my english isn´t good enough to explain my thoughts here is the answer in german:

Die Modelle sehen schon sehr gut aus.
Gauss und Vulcan benötigen m.E. kein Update. Die neue Plasma ist wunderschön, nur das Mündungsrohr würde ich nur halb so hoch machen. Die "Köpfe" von Spread und Helix können sich drehen, das sollten die Modelle wiedergeben (Drehgelenk hinter Mündungsteil). Die neue Phoenix sieht super aus und kann so bleiben. Der Standardlaser ist nicht so ganz mein Fall. Der vordere Teil (die beiden Kegel, die mit ihrer Grundplatte aneinander kleben) ist interessant, aber ich würde diesen Teil kürzer machen und nur als Form der Mündungsbremse benutzen und ansonsten ein normales Mündungsrohr verwenden, wie vorher.

Trotz der (hoffentlich konstruktiven) Kritik: Wie immer ein klasse Job von dir und ich bin sehr auf die Ergebnisse gespannt !
MetalBeast

Postby MetalBeast » Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:48 am

Ok guys, thx for your comments and all the ideas :D
I will see, what I can do better ;)

Greetings, MB
MetalBeast

Postby MetalBeast » Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:28 pm

Ok, created 3 new drafts:
(Helix, Omega, Gauss)

Image Image Image
Last edited by MetalBeast on Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-JoFFa-

Postby -JoFFa- » Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:22 pm

good Job!

Return to “D2X-XL Retexturing & Remodeling Projects”