The Ascent Project - Diamond Claw WIPs

Projects around retexturing and remodeling Descent

Moderators: Frustikus, simX, Aus-RED-5

TheAscentProject

The Ascent Project - Diamond Claw WIPs

Postby TheAscentProject » Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:30 pm

Hello everyone!

You guys voted and, as promised, I will now start uploading and describing the relevant WIPs of my work on the Diamond Claw.

I hope I don't become annoyingly "tl;dr" with my descriptions, please let me know if I do. :)

Make sure to check back periodically as any further uploads will be done here in the OP.

>> Let's start with my very first sketch - as I did with the Smelter, I wanted to envision this bot before the infection while grounding it in practicality. How would a mega-corporation whose ultimate goal is maximizing profit design a mining bot? As far as the main hull, it would definitely be a bare-bones construction, saving on hull plating and relying on the chassis to act as a rollcage of sorts to provide minimal protection to the internal components. How about the mining itself? I did a bit of research on modern mining/boring machinery and sketched a 2-in-1 system based on the shape of the original Diamond Claw: dual drilling tips and lateral boring heads, I figured four of these in a zero-g environment would get any kind of tunneling done.

>> I then became a little obsessed with that 2-in-1 idea for the Swingarms. So far all my models have had very simple animations and I wanted to try and incorporate something more complex here so I designed, modeled, and animated a transforming drilling/boring swingarm as a proof of concept.
[youtube]WA8c_UluJRU[/youtube]
(There is further information in the Video Description)

>> Having established all that, I began work on the actual post-infection hull (the actual recreation of the model). This is a very early sketch when I was still looking for a direction in which to take the model while I "established" notable external components. For example, that "structure" in the middle is the Energy Pulse Emitter (fires those plasma balls) while the components at the bottom left and right are the receptors that charge up the pulse emitter by absorbing excess energy every time the shields are hit with energy weapons. But I was very unsatisfied with the shapes of the hull. (Oh and I know... Those thrusters look like R2 units :P )

>> Then, I had an epiphany and decided to "go back to basics" and sketch my Diamond Claw using much more aggressive shapes and "pointy ends". I soon found inspiration on modern stealth fighters, specifically the F-117 and began thinking of the virus' use of the DC as a stealth assassin - which kind of matches up with its in-game AI. I also scrapped the original idea of the Swingarms, going back to the good-old claws.

>> Things with the hull finally climaxed one day when I got extremely inspired, grabbed my Wacom, and let the juices flow digitally:
>> A more stealthy color theme:

At present, the sketching phase is about finished and I'm almost ready to begin 3D. I still have to finish concept work on the Swingarms since I scrapped the 2-in-1 idea. I am also working on both a 2D CAD concept (with some internal components) and a final digital sketch (similar to the last upload) based on those CAD views.

I have quite high ambitions with this model. Whenever I work on the CAD I toy with the idea of modeling each armor plate and component completely separately so that I can add in major internal components. We shall see where it goes, but I would love for it to get to that.

As always, thank you for your support!

>> *UPDATE* Here is the final sketch of the hull all done in CAD. Since I'm very happy with its general look there aren't any major changes, I just needed to do this in CAD because I wanted to actually figure and settle on values for all the major angles as it will make the 3D workflow much easier. Now I'm working on a rough CAD (nothing like this) of the side view as well as trying to settle with a final functional design for the claws. I will post as soon as they're ready - see you guys soon!
Last edited by TheAscentProject on Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:41 am, edited 4 times in total.
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Re: The Ascent Project - Diamond Claw WIPs

Postby karx11erx » Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:59 pm

Very, very impressive work! :thumb:

Now all we need is somebody to port D2X-XL to the Unreal 3 engine and put your models in it. :)
Alter-Fox

Postby Alter-Fox » Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:59 am

Hrm, speaking of that, I wonder of Valin Halcyon would be up for some remodels of classic Descent bots in his Unreal Descent project. He's being all secretive about his plans for the plot of the singleplayer game except that he has one, and some wierd hints to some of us that we might end up being hired.
Have you heard about it Karx? I know you said you'd be interested in working on something like that.

Anyway, my real motivation for all these suggestions is that I just want to fight THAT. Suddenly the original diamond claw feels lame.
Do you think those last two sentences show a little too much animal instict?
We live in a universe... It's distracting
=========================================================
beware of ounce
Aus-RED-5
Forum Moderator

Postby Aus-RED-5 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:32 am

Absolutely jaw dropping work! :omg: Well done sofar! :thumb:
----System Specs----
Case: Corsair Obsidian 650D Black
Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth X58
CPU: Intel Core i7 960 3.20ghz
Heat Sink: Corsair H100 CPU Water Cooler
Memory: Corsair 6GB (3 x 2048mb) DDR3 1600 Dominator (PC12800 - TR3X6G1600C8D)
Video Card: ATi SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7970 3GB GDDR5 OC Edition
Hard Drives: SSD Corsair Force Series 3 F120 120GB & WD5003ABYX Enterprise RE4 500GB
Media Player: LG BH10LS30 BluRay Burner
Power Supply: Corsair HX-850
Monitor: Benq XL2420T LED
TheAscentProject

Postby TheAscentProject » Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:56 pm

karx11erx wrote:Very, very impressive work! :thumb:

Now all we need is somebody to port D2X-XL to the Unreal 3 engine and put your models in it. :)

Thank you! That would be a great day if that happens ^_^
TheAscentProject

Postby TheAscentProject » Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:57 pm

Alter-Fox wrote:Suddenly the original diamond claw feels lame.

That means a lot man, thanks!
TheAscentProject

Postby TheAscentProject » Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:58 pm

Aus-RED-5 wrote:Absolutely jaw dropping work!

Thank you! :D
TheAscentProject

Postby TheAscentProject » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:02 pm

By the way, I want to let everyone know that I am not at all closed off to suggestions/criticisms/ideas/comments! By all means if you have anything to suggest just throw it my way, I can't necessarily guarantee I'll implement it but who knows! :)
Hawkins
Location: /Universe/Milky-way/Sol/Earth/Europe/Greece/Athens/~

Postby Hawkins » Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:47 am

I guess there's no harm in extra input. Especially when you take the liberty to implement it at your own will. Howver such input for this particular work is sooo unnecessary. What's more to add? That's the good (out of many) thing with art: no matter how you would imagine to see it (e.g. the Diamond Claw here) you always like the outcome by loving hands better. This works shows what this project means to you, and from what I see so far, it can only be cool.
Gigabyte® GA-X48-DQ6
Intel® Core 2™ Quad Q6600 @2.4GHz
ATi(AMD®) Radeon™ HD4870
TheAscentProject

Postby TheAscentProject » Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:45 am

I agree with you Hawkins but hey you never know, someone might have just the right idea for something I'm stumped in - who knows? For example you proposed some fascinating theories about the visors the other day!

Oh and by the way: update!!!
Hawkins
Location: /Universe/Milky-way/Sol/Earth/Europe/Greece/Athens/~

Postby Hawkins » Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:50 am

Hmmm, here's an idea actually. Most probably you have thought about how the arms can be designed to retract or fold close to the body or what not, considering the internal mobility of the Diamond Claw. Then I remembered how Diamond Claws spawn in Descent, body shown first then arms appearing slowly, and I imagined this: the arms unfolding slowly there. And by that I don't mean to break the rigidity of the arms. On the lower part of the main body in your design, I see something that I could imagine as slots, or "seats" for the arms to fit in when they close-retract. (and claws fold in the arms like an UnreaL Skaarj :D)

EDIT: An alternative is simply having the arms fold in the back, forming an compact mass on the back, with the claws folded in the arms like above. There can be lots of brainstorming here.
Gigabyte® GA-X48-DQ6
Intel® Core 2™ Quad Q6600 @2.4GHz
ATi(AMD®) Radeon™ HD4870
Novacron

Postby Novacron » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:45 am

Amazing, even more sinister looking while keeping the original look! Props :)
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:35 pm

Uh-oh, look who's there! Hi Novacron, how's it going? :)
vitosky

Postby vitosky » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:10 pm

the Mythic Novacron is returned!!! Yeah!
:laola:

Return to “D2X-XL Retexturing & Remodeling Projects”