Interactive Texture Making Workflow.

Projects around retexturing and remodeling Descent

Moderators: Frustikus, simX, Aus-RED-5

karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:29 pm

Joffa,

that door doesn't need that special color inside. Because it fills an entire face and doesn't need a door frame it's not meant to be used as overlay texture. ;)

But now you know how to handle that color key.

@Everybody: It is better to wait for this door to be re-released with black interior (I will do that before putting it on my web site).
-JoFFa-

Postby -JoFFa- » Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:53 pm

karx11erx wrote:Joffa,

that door doesn't need that special color inside. Because it fills an entire face and doesn't need a door frame it's not meant to be used as overlay texture. ;)

But now you know how to handle that color key.

@Everybody: It is better to wait for this door to be re-released with black interior (I will do that before putting it on my web site).

hmm ... now thats confusing.

so the fiolet like color used for overlaying textures. then what is the white colors are used for. Maybe you will finally tell what behaviour of the alpha and the colors you told me inapropriate.

I think its time for a Small tutorial from Diedel. If he got time, of course.:)
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:21 pm

The palettized low res bitmaps have a white color entry denoting that pixel is transparent, and a purple one denoting that pixel is transparent and transparency will punch through any underlying textures (think of a grate laid over a rock texture - the holes in the grate punch through the rock texture the grate texture is "glued" on).

With TGA, regular transparency is handled with an alpha channel (which the bitmap format doesn't offer). The "punch through" transparency ("super transparency") still needs a color key. As this transparency type is only needed for textures meant to be used as overlays, doors (or grates, or other stuff) that fills the entire face (texture frame) doesn't need it. Some grates on the other hand should be surrounded by a rock or metal texture and only their interior holes should go through the surface.
Last edited by karx11erx on Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Theftbot

Postby Theftbot » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:49 am

for that document door 31 matches rock 14
Novacron

Postby Novacron » Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:10 am

MetalBeast wrote:Hehe,
just made 3 new Switch textures:

box01b#0 > made 2 frames version from 1 frame version (seems, d2xxl-needs both, like original, see original files, other case you see the old one flashing)

box02b > made new from scratch
box02b#0 > 2 frames version of box02b

Download Link

The top left one looks REALLY familiar... :|
MetalBeast

Postby MetalBeast » Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:01 am

Novacron wrote:

I never said, I made this one, only, that I made two frame version of it, which is needed by d2x-xl ;)
Didn't know who made this one , cause there was no list of textures and related makers.

Maybe you can post a list of waht textures are done by yourself, ao we can put the right credits to you.

Thx, and sorry for any misunderstandings.
Aus-RED-5
Forum Moderator

Postby Aus-RED-5 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:59 am

MetalBeast wrote:
Novacron wrote:

I never said, I made this one, only, that I made two frame version of it, which is needed by d2x-xl ;)
Didn't know who made this one , cause there was no list of textures and related makers.

Maybe you can post a list of waht textures are done by yourself, ao we can put the right credits to you.

He has most of them listed here. http://novacron.koolbear.com/

Though last time the texture list was updated was back in 2005.
----System Specs----
Case: Corsair Obsidian 650D Black
Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth X58
CPU: Intel Core i7 960 3.20ghz
Heat Sink: Corsair H100 CPU Water Cooler
Memory: Corsair 6GB (3 x 2048mb) DDR3 1600 Dominator (PC12800 - TR3X6G1600C8D)
Video Card: ATi SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7970 3GB GDDR5 OC Edition
Hard Drives: SSD Corsair Force Series 3 F120 120GB & WD5003ABYX Enterprise RE4 500GB
Media Player: LG BH10LS30 BluRay Burner
Power Supply: Corsair HX-850
Monitor: Benq XL2420T LED
MetalBeast

Postby MetalBeast » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:08 am

I just wanted to clear this missunderstanding,
I have no need to steal somebody's work. ;)

Back to topic, I realeased my metl-betapack here:

http://www.descent2.de/forum/viewtopic.php?t=386

Have fun with testing.
Maaspuck

Postby Maaspuck » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:56 pm

Hi all,

wow, now we have new textures every day and i'm running out of time updating the overview document. But i promise to work on that but i am sure this will take a while. So after a reasonable amount of changes i will publish a new download link, in my opinion it doesn't make any sense to publish a new version every day as i have a maximum amount of time of about 30 to 60 minutes a day.

I also have planned to add author information of the textures.

@Theftbot
thanks for the tip with door31, i must have overlooked that.

You will hear from me...

Maaspuck
ASUS P8Z77-V Pro
Intel Core i7 3770K
16 GB DDR3 1666 RAM
Soundblaster X-Fi Platinum Fatal1ty Champion
NVidia GTX 670

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Novacron

Postby Novacron » Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:14 am

Aus-RED-5 wrote:
MetalBeast wrote:
Novacron wrote:

He has most of them listed here. http://novacron.koolbear.com/

Though last time the texture list was updated was back in 2005.

I'm sorry MB, I just thought you didn't know. Sorry I came off that way everyone. And yes the texture list on my site IS outdated and might be abolished altogether because I never update it anymore. I think I may just keep making updates to the pack as I complete a good batch.

I'm still working on doors, I'm trying to complete all the ones with the complex animations that take longer to complete first (trying).. plus I did some others in between. My focus is still the doors.

Take care everyone, I'll be around.
-JoFFa-

Postby -JoFFa- » Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:44 pm

karx11erx wrote:The "punch through" transparency ("super transparency") still needs a color key.

So i added this violet "super transparent" color..what i've done wrong? you said yourself...

karx11erx wrote:As this transparency type is only needed for textures meant to be used as overlays, doors (or grates, or other stuff) that fills the entire face (texture frame) doesn't need it.

they need alpha?

karx11erx wrote:Some grates on the other hand should be surrounded by a rock or metal texture and only their interior holes should go through the surface.

Ok..so aplpha for surround and inside - violet?
Maaspuck

I am back

Postby Maaspuck » Sat May 03, 2008 9:15 am

Hi there again,

after about three months without internet (can you imagine that?) and several reallife issues (new house for example) i have spent some time for reading all this new stuff in this forum. D2X-XL is getting better from day to day and i hope this will continue in the future. BTW I really like the new sparks in the energy centers.

I tried to get an overview on the actual retexturing status and updated my OpenOffice Document. I included many new information, so please read the first table in this document. There are probably still a lot of errors in this document, especially missing creators of the textures.

First, here is the download link for the new version (you will have to wait 30 seconds before the download will be available).

I have several questions / comments / ideas about all these new textures:

- I saw that there often are different hires texture versions for Descent1 and Descent2 though they are the same in the original games
- In some cases the hires textures are included in more than one rar file
- Would it be possible to include the date on the texture download page when a package was changed? I don't know how much work this would be and how interesting this is for most people. For me it would be great and very useful.
- How are the hires textures loaded for D1 and D2? Does D2X-Xl only look into the D1 directory when playing D1 or does it switch to the main textures directory when the corresponding file wasn't found in the D1 directory? The latter case could probably save a lot of diskspace.
- For many textures there are already several versions available (official and non-official). Is there any interest especially for karx11erx but also for all others to clean up this situation? How can we decide which texture version is the best? A complete document with all hires versions included is probably too large and can't be handled.
- Or shall we first go on making new textures without bothering about cleaning up?

Best regards

Maaspuck
ASUS P8Z77-V Pro
Intel Core i7 3770K
16 GB DDR3 1666 RAM
NVidia GTX 670

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Sat May 03, 2008 9:38 am

Feel free to sort the textures out. I may have made mistakes when packaging the D1 textures, that was a quick&dirty job.
Maaspuck

new textures

Postby Maaspuck » Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:07 am

Hi,

after reading the news about the new doors I decided to drop a link my selfmade textures so far. You may download them here. There are three files 'doors.zip', 'rock.zip' and 'signs.zip'. Textures, which are for Descent 1 only, are placed in a subdirectory named 'd1'. At this point a big credit to all creators of the textures my texture may be based on.

@karx11erx
If you like these textures, feel free to integrate them into your 'official' rar files.
Coming back to my last post above I would like to admit that i sorted out some textures and reorganised them a bit. As this was done quite a long time ago i could have a look at them again and could publish this 'collection' and you may replace your files with them, if you want.

...next textures will be done as soon real life allows that...

Regards

Maaspuck
ASUS P8Z77-V Pro
Intel Core i7 3770K
16 GB DDR3 1666 RAM
NVidia GTX 670

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:19 am

Cool stuff! :D

I would however put some smoke traces and scratches on misc058, and maybe make the edges of the areas where something broken out a little washed out (die Kantenverläufe etwas weicher machen wo die Zacken in dem Bild sind, nicht einfach von alpha 1.0 auf alpha 0.0 springen).

Still all stuff is excellent work and will be put into the official hires downloads, today.

Edit:

Upload in progress.

Return to “D2X-XL Retexturing & Remodeling Projects”