New descent-like ship "spork/foon"

Projects around retexturing and remodeling Descent

Moderators: Frustikus, simX, Aus-RED-5

Yoshimitsu

New descent-like ship "spork/foon"

Postby Yoshimitsu » Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:45 pm

Hello all.

As part of my college education, I've recently started to learn Rhinoceros 4. I am a jewelry and metals major, and Rhino is our department's tool of choice, I suppose because it's relatively easy to learn, and is fairly powerful. In the metals, field we take advantage of rapid prototyping (printing 3D objects) so that we can make lost wax casts of those models.

Anyway, as my first real project in Rhino I have been asked to make a model that fits into a 2x2x2 cube, and get it printed in plastic, there's more to the assignment, but the upshot of the whole thing is this

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jpisila/sets/72157612920236093/

Even though, my final outcome will be a physical object, I wonder if the ship could somehow make it into Descent?

I'm still working on the thing, adding detail, and building in moving parts, like the turbine in the engines for the sake of the plastic print, but here it is so far.
Windows XP home edition (Service Pack 3 plus all updates)
Asrock Dual Series Motherboard
Onboard Sound (ALC888 Audio Codec) Using Realtek HD Audio Drivers
Intel Core 2 Duo 6400 (2.13Ghz)
2GB RAM
ATI Radeon HD 4850
Yoshimitsu

Postby Yoshimitsu » Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:53 pm

I have already been told that it looks like a serving spoon mixed with a meat fork. I see that now.
And that it looks like a Vorlon ship from Babylon 5. I can see that too, although when I looked up the Vorlon, they reminded me of the Shivans from Freespace.

Most of my inspiration when I was modeling it was from the Phoenix out of Descent 3.
Windows XP home edition (Service Pack 3 plus all updates)
Asrock Dual Series Motherboard
Onboard Sound (ALC888 Audio Codec) Using Realtek HD Audio Drivers
Intel Core 2 Duo 6400 (2.13Ghz)
2GB RAM
ATI Radeon HD 4850

Return to “D2X-XL Retexturing & Remodeling Projects”