DXX-Rebirth Compatibility?

Everything around the Descent level editor

Moderators: Frustikus, Aus-RED-5

Zuon

DXX-Rebirth Compatibility?

Postby Zuon » Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:23 am

If I create a level and select one of the options that isn't d2x-xl level, are those levels supposed to be compatible with dxx-rebirth?

There doesn't seem to be a level editor for WinXP other than dle-xp (why I'm here), not that I don't like it. But I have some problems:

One level with a bunch of doors hangs in d1x rebirth. It runs fine in d2x-xl.

One level will not display the mine name in automap. It does in d2x-xl. Originally I gave it a long name, then read somewhere that names had to be short for dxxr. So I tried shortening the name in the mission tab and resaving. That didn't help... is the old long string stuck in there or something?

One level tends to crash. It has an energy drain trigger in it, but I can't think of anything peculiar beyond that, and the crashes are not centralized. Haven't tried to get d2x-xl to crash; the level doesn't crash all that often.

If dle-xp levels are NOT supposed to be compatible with dxxr in any way, then does anyone have suggestions for turning a dle-xp produced level into a dxxr compatible level?
Pumo
D2X-XL Expert
D2X-XL Expert

Postby Pumo » Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:40 am

Levels made with DLE-XP that aren't of D2X-XL type are fully compatible to ALL other D2 versions (including Rebirth, original DOS version, Win95 Version, 3DFX, etc). ;)

If for some reason you find an issue on a level made on DLE-XP that prevents you from running it on other D2 versions, then that is a bug and should be reported with a bug ticket on D2X-XL Sourceforge.net tracker.

BTW, note that old Descent versions has limits (D2X-XL expands some original Descent limits) and you may be breaking those manually.
To check original D2 limits, check the original DMB2 help file (it can also be found on the DMB2 Demo version). :)

And FYI, the latest Darkwolf's mission (The Enemy Within) has been made with DLE-XP and it runs fine on Rebirth.
So you should check carefully that you're obeying all limits from old D2.
[Pumo software main website] - Pumo Mines current progress: 60%
-SYSTEM SPECS-
CPU: Intel Core i7 4790 3.6 GHz (4 GHz Turbo)
RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333MHZ
SSD: Kingston SSDNow V300, 240GB
HDD: Seagate 1TB 7200RPM SATA
External HDD: Seagate Backup Plus Slim 1TB 5400RPM
Video: nVidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti OC 4GB
Sound: RealTek High Definition Audio
Display 1: LG 24M38H 24" 1080p HD LED Monitor
Display 2: Dell 19" 1440x900 TFT Monitor
Sirius

Postby Sirius » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:45 am

The long name shouldn't be stuck in there if it doesn't appear in the D2X-XL automap.

One thing I should point out is that XL is actually very tolerant of errors in the level, while most other versions of Descent 1/2 are not. So it could just be hiding errors, rather than causing incompatibilities. What I can say is that - as Pumo said - there shouldn't be anything DLE-XP can put in non-D2X-XL-type levels that other versions of the game can't handle.
Zuon

Postby Zuon » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:28 am

I ran DMB2 and went to File -> Information and found the current cubes and stuff in the current mine along with the max allowable. Is this what you were referring to? The same limits appear in d2x-xl though (I chose the type of level I wanted to make at the beginning -- D1)... and I haven't exceeded them.

Well one thing that never worked that I forgot to mention is savegames. My dlexp produced levels do no load (they do save) in d1xr. Works fine in d2xr. Actually, the d1xr is complaining that it "can't find mission" when I try to reload. Possibly related to multiplayer trouble I had. I will see if d2xr works with multiplayer when I can next.

The long name did not appear in d2x-xl; the short one did.

By the way I'm really grateful that dle-xp does support older versions.

Should I report some of these as bugs? What information would be most needed (I haven't made a report before so "obvious" things that everyone puts will probably elude me)?
Kaizerwolf

Postby Kaizerwolf » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:01 pm

Try these for starters:

-Go into DLE-XP, open your level.
-Go to File, Check Mine
-Look for any errors in the diagnostics, and correct them if you can.
-If you are going to play the levels in DXX Rebirth, make sure that the file name (the .rl2 file) has NO spaces. I've made this mistake a few times.

So, instead of "example one.rl2" make it "exampleone.rl2/example1.rl2" This goes for all files (.clt, .pog, .rl2 etc.) The mission name and level name can still have spaces, just the file name itself cannot. If i am correct, D2X-XL supports spaces in the file names.
Sirius

Postby Sirius » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:40 pm

8.3 format is recommended for naming D1/D2 levels.
Zuon

Postby Zuon » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:49 pm

What are .lgt and .clr files? dxxr seems to ignore them, is that correct?
Sirius

Postby Sirius » Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:47 am

Yes. They are used by D2X-XL to generate lightmaps. .lgt files specify light settings, .clr light colours, if my memory is correct (it's been wrong on this subject before). While not absolutely necessary they give the level author some control over how a level will be lit in D2X-XL without making the level D2X-XL-only.
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:41 am

That's precisely true.
Zuon

Postby Zuon » Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:16 pm

OK, I'll repeat this on the SF tracker thingy if you want me to (I have a list of potential bugs/suggestions) so just say if you'd prefer that.

DLE-XP doesn't display all the warnings DMB2 used to, including
-line length too short (I'm guessing you took this out because it was a stupid warning -- I've never had problems with it)
-object contains objects with id -1 -- I thought putting type=powerup, id=none would make the robot drop nothing. It did in the game, but also caused crashes every once in a while (this hasn't been verified, the crashes were very uncommon, so hard to tell). DMB2 gives a warning, dlexp does not. Why does this option even exist?

The reason my level wasn't displaying automap name is because I put an extra player ( #8 ). Fencepost error will be my death. Anyway, would it be profitable to add a warning?

Also, I forgot to say, but 8.3 naming format was the reason my levels weren't saving (also not working for multiplayer). Is there a hint in there that I missed because I turned on expert mode right away?

EDIT: removed 8)
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:48 pm

Bugs and feature requests that are to be handled by me have to be posted on the trackers, or chances are high I miss or forget them.

I don't know how often I have stated that already on this forum, including the corresponding stickies.
Sirius

Postby Sirius » Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:24 am

Also, registering on sourceforge is a small price to pay for ensuring your bugs get remembered! :D
Volfram

Postby Volfram » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:19 am

This seems like an appropriate place to put this.

I'm trying to build some multiplayer levels for Descent 2 for myself and friends to play in, and I seem to be discovering every single bug remaining in DLE-XP in the process.

1: except for Segment #0, trying to edit cube vertexes directly does not seem to do anything: the updated values are ignored and replaced with the previous vertex coordinates.(In some cases, this crashed the editor, but updating to the newest version seems to have fixed this.) This caused no end of frustration until I found how to activate the Editor toolbar. The screenshots on the website indicate this used to be active by default?

2: when trying to use the Curve generator, for certain directions one set of cube sides is simply not created. They aren't drawn, they can't have textures applied, and they don't collide with objects in-game.(missiles simply cease to exist, like when fired into non-passable water, and the Pyro suddenly begins behaving as if moving through tar). I have tried a few workarounds, including connecting the curves through different segments and rebuilding the entire curve segment-by segment, but... this leads me to the third, and most frustrating problem.

3: I have one stable version of the level, with no modified textures, no object spawners, no walls(save the ones which form each cube), no doors, no control panels or switches, no Reactor, no exit, and only 1 player(I'm just learning. This is quite literally my second map attempt, after the first proved less trivial than my on-paper design suggested. I was anticipating getting to the other stuff as I went.) This version of the level loads fine in Descent 2, and I can fly around in it. The level is in a figure-8 configuration, with the crossover in the middle being a 4-way junction. Making any modifications to this level whatsoever(trying to close the gaps in the 8 to make it into a wheel configuration as I intended, adding even one more cube than I already have, attempting to rebuild the glitched out Curve tunnels segment-by-segment, attempting to change the physics properties in any of the existing cubes, such as creating an energy generator or filling it with water, and I haven't even gotten to trying to add objects) causes Descent 2 to simply quit to desktop instead of loading the game.(Running D2X Rebirth. I tried D2X-XL, I can't get it running, and was after the "authentic" experience promised by D2X-R, anyway) No errors, all the logfiles empty.

So. First, does anybody know any good workarounds?(BESIDES installing D2X-XL, please. I know that's the default answer to anything going wrong here.)

Second, do bug tickets for these exist yet? I'd be perfectly happy to write them up if they don't, but I don't want to bog the programmer down with redundant bug tickets if they already exist.

I'll be happy to provide the .HOG and .MN2 files upon request, if anyone thinks they'll be helpful in determining my problem.

I have run the Check Mine tool. Plenty of warnings, no errors, still get crashout.
Pumo
D2X-XL Expert
D2X-XL Expert

Postby Pumo » Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:10 am

I think you can post tickets of your 3 issues with no problems, as most likely they are related to the new version of DLE-XP,
As version 1.8 had a complete code overhaul so there's a lot of new bugs that needs to be covered.

Oh, yeah, and you don't need to have D2X-XL installed for DLE-XP to work (even if you only have the original 1.2 DOS version it should work right).

So feel free to post your bug tickets on the sourceforge tracker. :)
[Pumo software main website] - Pumo Mines current progress: 60%
-SYSTEM SPECS-
CPU: Intel Core i7 4790 3.6 GHz (4 GHz Turbo)
RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333MHZ
SSD: Kingston SSDNow V300, 240GB
HDD: Seagate 1TB 7200RPM SATA
External HDD: Seagate Backup Plus Slim 1TB 5400RPM
Video: nVidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti OC 4GB
Sound: RealTek High Definition Audio
Display 1: LG 24M38H 24" 1080p HD LED Monitor
Display 2: Dell 19" 1440x900 TFT Monitor
Sirius

Postby Sirius » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:16 am

Volfram wrote:This caused no end of frustration until I found how to activate the Editor toolbar.

Wha... does nobody ever use the keypad shortcuts for this? The thought of doing serious work by chain-clicking buttons makes my mind boggle... and entering in co-ordinates manually, I'm really surprised you didn't just give up on level editing for being too time-consuming if that's what you were doing beforehand.

I mean, I'm not trying to be a jerk about this - I'm just surprised that it seems everyone who talks about it is doing Descent level editing the slow way... maybe there's just a lack of visibility, discoverability, nobody ever (ever - probably true, too) reads the manual... maybe I should post a poll on DBB to find out... :)

P.S. Quickest way to find out if bug tickets for issues exist is to look for them on sourceforge.net. You don't even need an account to do that.

Return to “DLE-XP Help”