custom textures won't load

Everything around the Descent level editor

Moderators: Frustikus, Aus-RED-5

ApEk

custom textures won't load

Postby ApEk » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:52 am

Hi, I was editing this map with custom textures that replaced some of the original textures, now it won't load the textures when I run the level.
It use to load these textures, but now it only uses the original, however, it shows the custom textures while editing the map.

What is happening? EDIT: the original map loads the textures fine, I originally saved as to start it off.

btw is there a way to make an invisible wall that blocks shots from one side, but allows shots to pass through the other?

TIA
"Your lack of pointers disturbs me." || Skype - ApEk_v2 || Steam - ApEk ||
http://67.234.99.244/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page
Aus-RED-5
Forum Moderator

Postby Aus-RED-5 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:37 am

When you create a wall. You need edit the sides. On one side "open" and the other side "cloaked".
----System Specs----
Case: Corsair Obsidian 650D Black
Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth X58
CPU: Intel Core i7 960 3.20ghz
Heat Sink: Corsair H100 CPU Water Cooler
Memory: Corsair 6GB (3 x 2048mb) DDR3 1600 Dominator (PC12800 - TR3X6G1600C8D)
Video Card: ATi SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7970 3GB GDDR5 OC Edition
Hard Drives: SSD Corsair Force Series 3 F120 120GB & WD5003ABYX Enterprise RE4 500GB
Media Player: LG BH10LS30 BluRay Burner
Power Supply: Corsair HX-850
Monitor: Benq XL2420T LED
ApEk

Postby ApEk » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:14 pm

Thanks Aus-RED, works perfectly.

Now about this custom textures not loading bull, does anyone have a fix for this?
When using dle-xp I can see the custom textures being used, but when I play the level, the modified textures don't load.
"Your lack of pointers disturbs me." || Skype - ApEk_v2 || Steam - ApEk ||

http://67.234.99.244/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page
jbealsgames

Re: custom textures won't load

Postby jbealsgames » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:18 pm

Sorry to bump such an old thread, but I have been searching for a solution to this problem for a while and haven't found anything. Back in the day, I built a bunch of custom levels with DMB2 that had a number of custom textures. The levels load fine in DLE-XP and the custom textures are there, but whenever I try to play the levels in D2X-XL the custom textures are reverted to the original textures.

Any idea how I can get the custom textures to actually play within the game?

The other issue I'm having is that some of the levels I built use the old lighting system (or lack of lighting system) of just changing the illumination of the walls with no light source. However, in D2X-XL, everything is pitch black despite all the illumination being set at 100%.

Any tricks to getting the lights back on?

Thanks! This is a great project that I am just discovering!

*EDIT*
D2X-XL Version 1.16.27 (I have also downloaded hires sounds, models, and textures for D1 and D2)
DLE-XP Version (I can't find it, but probably the latest one because I just downloaded it)
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:49 pm

Load dark levels in DLE, illuminate and then save them. This may not help in all cases, but in a lot it will.
jbealsgames

Postby jbealsgames » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:52 pm

Thanks for the quick response! Any ideas on getting the custom textures to load properly in the game?
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:05 pm

Downloading the texture packs?
jbealsgames

Postby jbealsgames » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:49 pm

There's nothing wrong with the textures in D1 and D2 missions. The problem is when I try to play custom missions that have custom textures. For instance, I have a star wars map that uses a number of custom textures to make a death star in the distance. All the custom textures show up just fine in the editor but they are replaced by the usual rock textures when I load the levels in D2X-XL to play them.

Same as this guy's problem...

ApEk wrote:Hi, I was editing this map with custom textures that replaced some of the original textures, now it won't load the textures when I run the level. It use to load these textures, but now it only uses the original, however, it shows the custom textures while editing the map.
jbealsgames

Postby jbealsgames » Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:03 am

Ok that's weird... I've played the level like 30 times changing little things here and there. Never made a difference. Left it for a couple of hours, tried again and voila! Custom textures are there now. It doesn't make sense, but it's working so I'm not complaining. Woot! Nostalgia FTW!
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:17 am

Strange. Let's hope they won't disappear again.

You didn't happen to build your own D2X-XL version straight from the source code repo? Because the current code version there is under development and may be buggy.
jbealsgames

Postby jbealsgames » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:24 pm

For those interested, I think I figured out what made it work. The file name for the level itself (*.rl2) contained a space. I think the custom textures started working after I renamed the file and removed the space. So, no spaces in file names of levels!
Hawkins
Location: /Universe/Milky-way/Sol/Earth/Europe/Greece/Athens/~

Postby Hawkins » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:38 pm

That is a general guideline too, spaces should not be even part of paths too, not just file names. Use underscore instead. Descent in particularly is very enabling, since the file name is visible to non in-game; mission name and level-specific names are provided instead as metadata in the msn/mn2 file.
Gigabyte® GA-X48-DQ6
Intel® Core 2™ Quad Q6600 @2.4GHz
ATi(AMD®) Radeon™ HD4870

Postby Sirius » Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:44 am

Yeah, spaces are fantastic for breaking a lot of old code. Probably best to stick with 8.3 in D1/2 just to be safe.

Return to “DLE-XP Help”