Questions from the beginer

Everything around the Descent level editor

Moderators: Frustikus, Aus-RED-5

Maxymo

Questions from the beginer

Postby Maxymo » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:10 pm

Hi.
I want to start level building. So I've got a few questions.

1. I want to use only a nice new hi res my own textures (no the old ones). So how to import new textures to dle-xp? I don't see such option.

2. What is the biggest texture size dle-xp allows?
From what I see here there are different opinions - 512/512 or 256/256 TGA.
Or maybe bigger?
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Re: Questions from the beginer

Postby karx11erx » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:32 pm

#1 In the texture tool (tabbed dialog) there is an 'edit' button. Click on that button, and a new dialog will open where you can load a replacement texture for the current texture.

While you can use bigger textures (512x512), I wouldn't use more than 256x256 because otherwise your level may need a tremendous amount of graphics memory.

You can also overload animations. There has been information about how to build hires animations posted here already, just do a search.
Maxymo

Postby Maxymo » Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:08 pm

hmm... I'm clicking the button but nothing happens.
I'm clicking the button from the screen.

1. Should I load the descent HOGs first? (which I wouldn't like to, I don't want that mess with the poor old textures and some hires ones.).

2. If you're saying that it replaces an existing texture, does it mean that there can not be more textures than in the default set? I mean THE NUMBER of textures will be always the same? I can only CHANGE one texture to the newer one? Not add?

3. Apart from textures. Could you simply explain me how to make curve generator work? When I'm choosing it i get the error message "Starting and/or ending point of segment already have segments attached". How to choose starting face and the ending face for the curve generator?

Thank. You.
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:12 pm

Read the DLE-XP info on my website and the DMB2 tutorial linked to there (or somewhere here).

You also need to give DLE-XP the folders where to find D2 (and optionally D1) game data.
Maxymo

Postby Maxymo » Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:55 pm

I'm actually reading the "The Descent Mission Builder II™ Tutorial.doc".
For example in it there is:

To create a tunnel between two cubes
- Choose the cube and sides you want to connect.
- Select Tools/Curve Generator from the menu or press G.
- Use the [ and ] keys to adjust the spline points
- Use the P key to rotate the curve
- Press G when finished and select OK.

No mention how to select two cubes.
4. I also don't know how to deselect what I've selected by moving mouse+LMB (the yellow selection).

These are just four quick and simple questions. Can't you answer them?
I'm not going to spam you with 10 questions an hour.

Thank you.
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:45 pm

There is something on cubes in that doc, too.

You always have the "current" (bright green) and "other" (dark green) cubes. Just chose the connection side on the first cube, then press space bar to switch to the "other" cube (that will make the current cube the other cube, and vice versa), select the connection side there and make the tunnel.

Delesect: Shift+Mouse (or Ctrl+M).
Maxymo

Postby Maxymo » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:40 pm

Thank you.
I'm already reading "descent Builder.pdf" which is more precise and has the key functions explained.

However for more than the hour I'm fighting with block coping and pasting which is a nightmare for me. Even thou I've red everything I steel don't understand why the DLE pastes it INSIDE the current cube.

I'm copying the block (left one) with the face and line matched as on the screen (the outgoing face and the bottom line). Then I'm pasting it keeping the rules: I mark the external face and the bottom line and I get something like this (right block on the picture).

In the tutorial there is written that I should be able to paste the block and manipulate it BEFORE sticking it to the level structure. I don't see any possibility to do it like this here.
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:41 pm

When you copy the block, its position relative to the current segment's current side decides the orientation at which it gets pasted (it will be pasted at the same position and orientation relative to the segment and side that are current when you paste it). The best thing to do is to make a segment and a side adjacent to the block current, then copy the block, and then paste it to the segment and side you want it to be at.
Maxymo

Postby Maxymo » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:03 pm

I don't clearly understand what you've just written.
You mean the FACE of the cube and the LINE of the face which are active DECIDE how the block will be pasted? (that i have figured somehow) Or it is somehow related to the structure (corridor)?
What about the FACE and the LINE of the segment when I'm copying it - the position relative to WHAT is remembered?
What about the direction it will be facing to?

Would you mind explaining me on the above picture why do I get the LEFT segment (the short corridor going down) pasted in a way that the first cube of it is inside the cube I have marked as active when I'm pasting (the same short corridor on the right).
I can control somehow the angle of the pasted segment by marking desired FACE and LINE of the cube but i CAN NOT CONTROL THAT THE FIRST BLOCK OF THE PASTED SEGMENT IS PASTED INSIDE THE ACTIVE BLOCK and I don't actually control the direction (for example toward the view or outward)

And does DLE-XP work like this?:

It means that you can paste a block and AFTER that you can rotate and move it, and only at the end stick it to the mine structure.
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:13 pm

The block is always copied and pasted relative to current segment and side. That means when pasting it it will have the same distance and rotation relative to the current segment and side it had when it was copied (to what where current segment and side at that point of time).

Edit:

Ofc you can move and rotate the block - again relative to the current side. Change the current segment and side a few times and play around a bit with block movement/rotation to see how it works.
Maxymo

Postby Maxymo » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:26 pm

No. It does not work like that.
When I paste a block, no mater what I do (change a face, line, segment) it stays in the initial position.
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:56 pm

Ok. If I say "DLE-XP works so and so", and you say "no it doesn't", then you must ofc be right.

I am so dumb.
Alter-Fox

Postby Alter-Fox » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:04 pm

Maxymo wrote:No. It does not work like that.
When I paste a block, no mater what I do (change a face, line, segment) it stays in the initial position.

Did you set "block mode"?
It works for me.
We live in a universe... It's distracting
=========================================================
beware of ounce
Sirius

Postby Sirius » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:10 pm

Blocks are a little work to get your head around the paste behaviour if (unchanged from DMB2 though), but they do behave in a deterministic manner. Changing the selected face when pasting a block, and the selected point of that selected block, will determine the orientation of the pasted block.

Unless this got broken recently, but I doubt that...

P.S. Yeah, working in 1.8.59.
Aus-RED-5
Forum Moderator

Postby Aus-RED-5 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:29 pm

When it comes to this sort of thing. Sometimes instructions with illustrations work best then just words.

Maxymo, please understand that karx11erx/ Diedel is the author of DLE-XP. I know you're a little frustrated with the program, but he knows how it works. He's a great guy who's willing to help (which he has been), but you need to treat him with respect.
So please choose your words wisely when speaking to him. :)

Anyways, If no body else makes any step by step illustrations. I'll post one up on how to do what karx11erx said. ;)

Sadly, it won't be for at least another 8hrs till I can do it. :(
----System Specs----
Case: Corsair Obsidian 650D Black
Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth X58
CPU: Intel Core i7 960 3.20ghz
Heat Sink: Corsair H100 CPU Water Cooler
Memory: Corsair 6GB (3 x 2048mb) DDR3 1600 Dominator (PC12800 - TR3X6G1600C8D)
Video Card: ATi SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7970 3GB GDDR5 OC Edition
Hard Drives: SSD Corsair Force Series 3 F120 120GB & WD5003ABYX Enterprise RE4 500GB
Media Player: LG BH10LS30 BluRay Burner
Power Supply: Corsair HX-850
Monitor: Benq XL2420T LED

Return to “DLE-XP Help”