Page 2 of 2

Re: Questions from the beginer

Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:11 am
by Aus-RED-5
Ouch! I'm not good at explaining or giving a tutorial on how to do things! lol
So I won't be going into great details as to how it all works. I'm the kind of person who just plays around with things till I get the desired effect. :oops:

karx11erx wrote:When you copy the block, its position relative to the current segment's current side decides the orientation at which it gets pasted (it will be pasted at the same position and orientation relative to the segment and side that are current when you paste it). The best thing to do is to make a segment and a side adjacent to the block current, then copy the block, and then paste it to the segment and side you want it to be at.

This is basically what he's saying....

Pic 1ImagePic 02Image

In pic one. The default position of the current cube's "side" is shown.
In pic two. Mark the cube/s you want to copy and paste. You'll want to change the current cube "side" to "line" mode. Press "L" till you set the desired position that will ultimately set the pasted blocks orientation. The current cube in pic 2 is not marked. Only the "line" and orientation is set!

Pic 3Image Pic 4Image

In pic three. Set the current cube's line back to the default side. This will produce the mirror effect when you paste the blocks. Because the position of the "line" from which we copied from. The blocks will paste from that same "line" position and orientation.
In pic four. You can see the blocks that was copied and now pasted. Plus the "line" position and orientation to give the mirror effect.


As for manipulating blocks orientation....
Image
Make sure you are in "block mode" and select the "Editor tool bar" tool. While the marked cubes are set in block mode. You can change the orientation using this tool. ;)

Hope this helps some and good luck! :)



P.S.
Image
The location of your current cube needs to be outside the "marked" blocks BEFORE you copy them. If you are NOT wanting to manipulate them? The current results - you'll having to "push" the blocks outside the space they are occupying.

Re: Questions from the beginer

Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:40 am
by karx11erx
Fantastic post, Aus-RED! :thumb:

Re: Questions from the beginer

Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:48 am
by Aus-RED-5
Thank you. :)

Re: Questions from the beginer

Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:20 pm
by Maxymo
Aus-RED-5 - thank you. That's what I needed.
Ill read it carefully and play with blocks soon.
Thank you again.

Re: Questions from the beginer

Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:53 am
by Aus-RED-5
No probs. Feel free to ask again if you need. ;)

Re: Questions from the beginer

Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:23 am
by -JoFFa-
I got a question too. :)

when i apply a second texture - lamp - to a wall - i then select several cubes and make light calculation. and in editor - the very wall to which I've applied second texture - becomes not completely bright - but its two vertexes become ~70 percent bright and the other 2 - become ~30 percent bright. what i do wrong?

And one more...

I know were bug reports go - and in XP when i select cubes and perform light calculation it offers me during program crush to send bug report - in the file it contains all info related to crush. Should i send it to your email adress, Diedel?

Re: Questions from the beginer

Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:08 pm
by Sirius
If it's actually creating a crash dump, attach that to the sf.net bug report. If I recall correctly, clicking "Send Information" will not do anything but send the crash report off to Microsoft and I'm not sure they have a habit of forwarding these things to third parties.

The 70/30 thing may not be incorrect - it depends on the light texture. Different textures are pre-set to have different brightnesses, and this one might not be enough for 100 everywhere.