Why is almost everything in advanced object data greyed out?

Everything around the Descent level editor

Moderators: Frustikus, Aus-RED-5

Enzo03

Why is almost everything in advanced object data greyed out?

Postby Enzo03 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:01 pm

Question is exactly what it says on the tin.
I used to mess with this stuff in DMB2. I couldn't find an answer anywhere on the site or forums.
Some people are like Slinkies. They aren't really good or even useful for anything but they always manage to put a little smile on your face when you give them enough of a push down the stairs.
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Re: Why is almost everything in advanced object data greyed

Postby karx11erx » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:12 am

Advanced object is volatile data you can edit per object (velocity = current movement direction and speed, thrust = current propelling force, rotvel and rotthrust are the same for rotational movement around the object's axis). These values get constantly updated by the game's physics system, so they will change depending on friction and/or AI.

So setting these values actually has very limited effect in-game. If the player doesn't see the object right at level start, he will probably not even notice it had any special settings made by the level author.

The only values modifying makes sense are those available to editing.
Enzo03

Postby Enzo03 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:08 am

Hmm.

I'm going to have to look at an older version of a level I did then because I somehow managed to make one class 1 drone completely normal in every possible way conceivable and the one next to it do pretty much this. Older than the meme though.

I thought I did it through advanced object data but now I dunno.
Some people are like Slinkies. They aren't really good or even useful for anything but they always manage to put a little smile on your face when you give them enough of a push down the stairs.
Woodpecker

Postby Woodpecker » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:34 am

Enzo03 wrote:Hmm.

I'm going to have to look at an older version of a level I did then because I somehow managed to make one class 1 drone completely normal in every possible way conceivable and the one next to it do pretty much this..

:rofl:
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:26 pm

The fields in this dialog are enabled depending on object type. That is because not every object type supports every field in there. Robots e.g. have different properties than powerups. So if you have a level with a bunch of differently typed object, display the advanced object properties and select objects of different type one after another, you will see different dialog fields being enabled and disabled.

Return to “DLE-XP Help”