Creating balls

Everything around the Descent level editor

Moderators: Frustikus, Aus-RED-5

Woodpecker

Creating balls

Postby Woodpecker » Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:02 pm

Ok, so what I'd like to do is create a perfectly spherical room to fly around in (this will be the central chamber of a multiplayer level). What I have done so far is to create a cross of six corridors coming off a single cube, so that the resulting sphere will have a diametre of 51 cubes (this number enables me to have a central vertical spike inside the room). Now, I know how to create tunnels using the curved tunnel generator, but I suspect that using it to connect all the cubes together would lead to two hollow disks which intersect, rather than an actual sphere. Can a spherical room be made, and if so, how do I get there from what I have done already?
Pumo
D2X-XL Expert
D2X-XL Expert

Re: Creating balls

Postby Pumo » Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:29 pm

You can do what you want by using the DBB (Descent Block Builder) utility.
It can create perfect spherical rooms that can be imported into DLE-XP as .blk format.

Here is a link to download the utility at Descent Valhalla:
http://descentvalhalla.com/files/d2/uti ... _21-16.zip

Of course, it won't work over the room you were already making, but it will create what you have in mind in just a second and you just need to paste the sphere into your level. ;)
[Pumo software main website] - Pumo Mines current progress: 60%
-SYSTEM SPECS-
CPU: Intel Core i7 4790 3.6 GHz (4 GHz Turbo)
RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333MHZ
SSD: Kingston SSDNow V300, 240GB
HDD: Seagate 1TB 7200RPM SATA
External HDD: Seagate Backup Plus Slim 1TB 5400RPM
Video: nVidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti OC 4GB
Sound: RealTek High Definition Audio
Display 1: LG 24M38H 24" 1080p HD LED Monitor
Display 2: Dell 19" 1440x900 TFT Monitor
Woodpecker

Postby Woodpecker » Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:36 am

Thanks, Pumo, but the utility isn't working. It says there's a file missing. :( I've sent you a PM about it, unless anyone knows where I can download a working copy?
pokeman7452

Postby pokeman7452 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:26 am

It needs to be run in a 16/32 bit environment and also requires vb40016.dll and oc25.dll.
Laptop: (outdated)——————————————————————————————Desktop:
ASUS G72GXBBCDDDHLMPPPRTVWcdeefghimnoorruyz2 5 6 8000+-./()Newegged
Core 2 Duo (2.5Ghz)ABBDDGHLMPPPRSSTUVWXcdefgimnry6 78000+-/i5 3570K (4.0-4.7ghz)
6GB DDR2ABCDGHLMPPPSSTUVWXcdeefghimnoorruyz2 5 7 8000+-./()16GB DDR3
Geforce GTX 260MABBCDDDHLPPPRSSUVWdghimnoruyz2 5 7800+-./()GTX650Ti
80GB + 500GB HDDACDLMPPPRSSTUVWXcdeefghimnoorruyz2 267-./()2X500GB in RAID0 + 1TB
DL DVD+-RWABBCGGHMPPPSSTUXcdeefghimnoorruyz2 2 5 678000./()52X CD-R | HD DVD/Blu-Ray, DL DVD+-RW + LS
Win 7 Home Pre/XP ProABBCDDDGGLMRSSTUVcdfghuyz22568000+-.()Win 7 Pro/XP Pro
Woodpecker

Postby Woodpecker » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:39 am

Ok, I downloaded the files and it now works :D Having created my sphere, how do I import it into my D2 level? Also, how do I then attach it to the cube I want? I can't see a control or menu option for either of these functions in DLE-XP. Thanks! :)
Aus-RED-5
Forum Moderator

Postby Aus-RED-5 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:57 am

You need to "paste" the blk file on the selected cube.
So select "edit" and then click "paste" and then find the blk file you wish to import the block from.

This little tut will help in some of the process you will need to do to place it correctly.
----System Specs----
Case: Corsair Obsidian 650D Black
Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth X58
CPU: Intel Core i7 960 3.20ghz
Heat Sink: Corsair H100 CPU Water Cooler
Memory: Corsair 6GB (3 x 2048mb) DDR3 1600 Dominator (PC12800 - TR3X6G1600C8D)
Video Card: ATi SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7970 3GB GDDR5 OC Edition
Hard Drives: SSD Corsair Force Series 3 F120 120GB & WD5003ABYX Enterprise RE4 500GB
Media Player: LG BH10LS30 BluRay Burner
Power Supply: Corsair HX-850
Monitor: Benq XL2420T LED
Woodpecker

Postby Woodpecker » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:53 am

Thanks, Aus-RED-5, that worked. Just a couple more questions, and then hopefully I'm off on my own.

1) After some experimenting, I created the ball around the starting cube as soon as I opened the editor from scratch. I then deleted that cube and flicked around the surface of the ball until I found one cabaple of being opened, and created a long tunnel. I then placed a door at the entrance to the ball, and tried to put a player ship at the start of the tunnel. When I loaded the game, I was immediately placed inside the ball, near the edge, rather than at the start of the entrance tunnel. How do I set the cube in which the player starts?

2) I tried adding lighting to one of the shafts on my cruciform mine. I selected a wall at the end of a shaft, added lightning, selected "erratic" then clicked "random" then clicked "add". I turned on "show all objects" and a green sort of arrow thing showed up in that cube. The game told me there were too many players in the game, and then displayed the following error: "unknown control ntype 150 in cobject 3, sig/ntype/ID = 3/0/0". The screen was otherwise totally white with the cockpit display and crosshairs.

3) Also on my cruciform mine, after building the sphere around the central cube of the mine I tried to create a door in one of the walls, so the player could fly down the hall, go through a door and find themselves inside the sphere. This crashed dle-xp, but the sphere is definitely hollow because I could add further cubes to my cruciform mine inside the sphere.

My first reaction was, of course, "bug ticket" but then I realised that maybe I was making a noobish mistake somewhere in dle-xp. Where did I go wrong and what is the correct way to do it? What I'm trying to do is create a spike in the middle of the sphere, from the outside surface of which lightening will flash all around the room. The inside of the spike will be accessible from a tunnel outside the sphere. I am as yet unsure whether there will be an access door from the sphere to the interior of the spike, but it may be useful to have one.
Enzo03

Postby Enzo03 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:19 pm

It would help to be able to have the map file so that I could see exactly what is going on.

In DLE, you add a player by going to the insert menu and under "object" you choose "player", iirc.
Some people are like Slinkies. They aren't really good or even useful for anything but they always manage to put a little smile on your face when you give them enough of a push down the stairs.
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:21 pm

You can add any object anywhere and change its type to "player" via the object later afterwards. To place an arbitrary existing object in a certain segment, highlight the segment (left click), highlight the object (right click), then click on the "move" button in the object tool.
Woodpecker

Postby Woodpecker » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:05 am

I've tried again. What I did this time was to create a cross form, 51 cubes in length, end to end. That is, each shaft is 25 cubes long with a central cube. Then, I built the sphere around the central cube, thus enclosing the cross within the sphere. Next, I extended one of the shafts so it broke out of the sphere, created another shaft which properly attached to the outside of the sphere to allow entrance, and created a tunnel to join the two shafts. Finally I added a ceiling light to one of the walls, which worked - YAY! I flew around a bit to test out the tunnel. Basically, the proper entrance into the sphere allows the ship to fly in, just as it should, but when I looked around from within the sphere, I couldn't see the cruciform section of the mine anywhere. This does not make sense. Then I went back to dle-xp and tried adding lightning to the light, thinking that maybe d2x-xl doesn't like lightning attached to a blank wall. I set various paramters for the spark length, colour, and so on, left the target box empty, clicked random, set to erratic, and clicked "add". When I booted up the level it no longer worked, saying that it couldn't identify an object in a particular cube. Clearly something is wrong somewhere but I'm not sure what I did or didn't do. So, the questions are:

1) Why doesn't it recognise the lightning?
2) Why is the cruciform part of the mine not visible from within the sphere, given that it is actually inside the sphere?
3) How do I build tunnels which go from the outside of the cube inwards, to form the spike of the plasma ball?
4) Why am I still unable to put a door in the cruciform part of the mine, to allow access to the inside of the sphere?

I've attached my file for you all to look at. If you want to try building the sphere yourself, boot up DBB and set all the radius options to 500, and the cube count to 4. Sorry for so many questions, but if I don't get it right here then there's not much point in building the rest of the level. Thanks! :)

Btw, that sphere is huge. It takes a full 16 seconds at normal speed to cross. Hopefully that will be enough room for 16 players battling it out with lasers and shakers while lightning flashes around! :lol:
:hammer:
Attachments
Prototype.zip
(20.68 KiB) Downloaded 217 times
Aus-RED-5
Forum Moderator

Postby Aus-RED-5 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:10 am

Try the following.

Open your lvl with DLE-XP.

Goto "tools" and select "diagnoses".
Click on "check mine". If it comes up with errors? (which it did for me) Check/ tick the "auto fix errors" box and click check mine again. Should fix all errors you are getting.

Next..... you need to add more light sources if you wish to be able to see! ;)
----System Specs----
Case: Corsair Obsidian 650D Black
Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth X58
CPU: Intel Core i7 960 3.20ghz
Heat Sink: Corsair H100 CPU Water Cooler
Memory: Corsair 6GB (3 x 2048mb) DDR3 1600 Dominator (PC12800 - TR3X6G1600C8D)
Video Card: ATi SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7970 3GB GDDR5 OC Edition
Hard Drives: SSD Corsair Force Series 3 F120 120GB & WD5003ABYX Enterprise RE4 500GB
Media Player: LG BH10LS30 BluRay Burner
Power Supply: Corsair HX-850
Monitor: Benq XL2420T LED
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:35 am

You could make the textures of the sphere emit light and make all sphere segments self illuminating (light sources in such a segment will only illuminate that segment). Doesn't light the inner segments though.

I really think I should implement wedge and pyramid shaped segments ...
Sirius

Postby Sirius » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:08 am

Is that actually possible? Won't butcher a whole lot of stuff? I imagine it would need special-casing for collisions and pathing at the least.
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:22 am

I would just need to adjust the collision handling a bit. The most difficult thing to implement for me are the DLE-XP UI extensions. I said I need to process this a bit in my subconscious. I think that all that would be needed there are two additional commands "collapse side to line" and "collapse side to point". D2X-XL's collision handler and renderer would just need to be extended to handle faces consisting of single triangles (not hard). That's all I can think of. A restriction I would probably make is that you could always only collapse one side of a segment.
Sirius

Postby Sirius » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:27 am

No tetrahedrons then?

Still, it seems this holds very interesting possibilities. :)

Return to “DLE-XP Help”