Creating balls

Everything around the Descent level editor

Moderators: Frustikus, Aus-RED-5

Woodpecker

Re: Creating balls

Postby Woodpecker » Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:22 pm

Weyrman wrote:Also, your exit door is set the wrong way around, meaning that the trigger arrow is pointing out rather than in. What happens is that the door opens and you can fly through it and down the tunnel without the end sequence starting. It is not until you fly back out the door that the sequence triggers.

Thanks, I had wondered why it wasn't working properly. :)

Aus-RED-5 wrote:Sorry... somehow I managed to miss this.
It's hard to explain..... but for the cubes to be seen. You'll have to make the tunnels from within the sphere. All cubes need to be joined together to be seen.

All right, how do I do that? I've tried various options and none of them work. On certain faces it will allow me to attach an entrance tunnel, but it won't let me build anything inside the sphere itself. I can't just select a cube, select the inside face and click "add segment", because when I do, the "add" option is greyed out. When I build an entrance tunnel and it makes the transition from tiny tunnel to massive plate, that works fine, but again I cannot simply "add segment" once it joins to the sphere, regardless of which face I select. Nor can I continue to add cubes onto the tunnel to extend it inwards once it connects with the edge of the sphere. Building the cross the way I did was my best attempt at a work-around. I'm sorry if I come across as rude; I don't mean it that way and in fact I'm very grateful for all your suggestions so far, but this problem has been frustrating me for a few days now. Maybe I just have to accept that it can't be done and the best thing is for me to add lots of lighting to most of the faces? Or maybe i'm trying to do something which is frankly too difficult for a beginner level builder. I've had a look at "Darkside of the Moon" and Mr Wentz put a nice vertical shaft in the middle of the sphere, so it should be possible to achieve somehow. Oh, and thanks for the help on properly lighting my level (though it was fun making the level into a giant disco ball! :lol: )
Aus-RED-5
Forum Moderator

Postby Aus-RED-5 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:20 pm

Load those lvls and have a look how it's done. ;)
----System Specs----
Case: Corsair Obsidian 650D Black
Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth X58
CPU: Intel Core i7 960 3.20ghz
Heat Sink: Corsair H100 CPU Water Cooler
Memory: Corsair 6GB (3 x 2048mb) DDR3 1600 Dominator (PC12800 - TR3X6G1600C8D)
Video Card: ATi SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7970 3GB GDDR5 OC Edition
Hard Drives: SSD Corsair Force Series 3 F120 120GB & WD5003ABYX Enterprise RE4 500GB
Media Player: LG BH10LS30 BluRay Burner
Power Supply: Corsair HX-850
Monitor: Benq XL2420T LED
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:58 pm

Indeed.
Sirius

Postby Sirius » Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:11 pm

My guess is that you're misunderstanding how cubes work. Looking at the sample you uploaded, there is a cross-shaped section in the same place as the sphere - this only makes much sense if you are trying to achieve a "4D" level (these don't work well in D2X-XL). Is it supposed to be cut away from the sphere? Or is the sphere supposed to be solid? Given that all level geometry in the Descent engine is subtractive, you would need to create it differently for that; this sphere is hollow instead.
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:20 pm

The basic thing is that you need to connect segments at their sides, and you can always only connect one segment to a given side of another segment, not several. If you put a segment inside another segment, these segments don't "know" anything of each other and basically form two completely independent level areas - despite sharing the same space. That is because the Descent engine walks from segment to segment via their sides, so if two groups of segments do not at least share one segment side, Descent will never reach one of them, depending on where it started (usually the player position).
Aus-RED-5
Forum Moderator

Postby Aus-RED-5 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:33 pm

Sirius, he wants the cross section inside a hollow sphere, but he wants it to be visible within the sphere as well.
----System Specs----
Hard Drives: SSD Corsair Force Series 3 F120 120GB & WD5003ABYX Enterprise RE4 500GB
Sirius

Postby Sirius » Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:32 pm

Uh... like corridors surrounded by walls?
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:13 pm

Then he needs to build a tunnel inside the cross segments (by splitting these segments) and then remove the segments surrounding the tunnel.
Woodpecker

Postby Woodpecker » Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:04 am

Sirius wrote:Uh... like corridors surrounded by walls?

I think it's time I told you how the level is going to work. Here's a picture of what I am after:

So my concept is that people will be able to fly around inside the sphere, shooting lasers and other energy weapons at each other, while lightning flashes all around them. On top of this, the central spike, which sends out lightning, will also be accessible to people outside the sphere (because it is hollow) and inside the sphere (via a door at the base). The spike itself would contain an energy centre. Then, around one of the "edges" which runs parallel to the spike (i.e. if you were sitting on top of the spike, it would be to your left) going all around the circumference of the sphere, would be a "shooting gallery" for people to chase each other while firing gauss/vulcan bullets. This would be accessible by four doors on the side of the sphere, leading out of the sphere, and would have walls made of metal cross shapes, so that people inside the gallery would also be exposed to energy weapon fire from people in the sphere. Opposite the doors allowing access to the shooting gallery would be grate doors allowing access to the sphere, so players could either turn left and go round the gallery or go straight ahead into the sphere. Outside the sphere would be various tunnels and rooms to keep the tunnel rats happy. Basically, it's one massive anarchy level. :)

As far as I can see this should be possible. I mean, if you can build a vertical shaft inside a cube-shaped room, which is visible inside the room, then logically you can build a vertical shaft inside a sphere, which is visible inside the sphere. I did have a look to see how Mr Wentz did it, and I think what he did was he essentially created a cube inside the sphere. That was ok given that he was trying to create a jagged piece of rock in space, but it's not very good for my purposes. Also Sirius, you're right, I could be misunderstanding how cubes work. I'll give the segment splitting thing a go, thanks karx. :)
Alter-Fox

Postby Alter-Fox » Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:08 am

Yap I think that would work. It would definitely look better than the only other way I can think of (using grates).

And I have one of those plasma balls :D.
We live in a universe... It's distracting
=========================================================
beware of ounce
Woodpecker

Postby Woodpecker » Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:19 am

Alter-Fox wrote:Yap I think that would work. It would definitely look better than the only other way I can think of (using grates).

When I said "the walls would be made out of metal cross shapes" I meant these things surrounding the vertical shaft:

http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/7820/d207wb4.jpg

One side of the shooting gallery would be the wall of the sphere, and the remaining three sides would be made up of these X-plate things.

And I have one of those plasma balls :D.

Haha, I did too until it got knocked off the window sill and the glass ball broke! :lol: But the idea for this level has been in my head for over a year now - since I found out that D2x-xl supported lightning. The idea of a laser fight in a plasma ball seems very cool to me :)
Sirius

Postby Sirius » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:49 am

Ironically, in this case, EMD might be better. You sort of need a little homing in the big spaces to hit things.

But, since it's D2...
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:42 am

Dang, you got some huge balls there! :P

:away:
Woodpecker

Postby Woodpecker » Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:43 am

Sirius wrote:Ironically, in this case, EMD might be better. You sort of need a little homing in the big spaces to hit things.

But, since it's D2...

What's EMD? I was thinking of throwing in some earthshakers as well given that there's so much space. I used the minemine cheat to practice throwing some around inside the sphere, and it was almost nine seconds before it hit the opposite wall, so people would have to aim carefully. Another thing I noticed is that the interior of the sphere ISN'T a sphere. It's actually a cube with slightly convex edges. This makes me think that 1) the game can't really cope with balls, and 2) it might be better to build an outright cube shaped room, or perhaps a circular room like the D1 Level 7 Boss room (not quite sure how to do round, core-less rooms, but I'll check the energy centre in D2 level 2 for ideas). It would certainly be easier to do that and probably wouldn't look that different anyway. Maybe when I'm a better level builder and can use the triangles function in DLE-XP, I can build a better sphere which serves my purposes. I mean, it'll still be a fun level if done right, it's just that central chamber will look a bit funny being a cube rather than a sphere.

karx11erx wrote:Dang, you got some huge balls there! :P

:away:

Why yes, yes I have! :lol:
Aus-RED-5
Forum Moderator

Postby Aus-RED-5 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:40 pm

What's EMD?

A primary weapon for Descent 3 that fires Electro Magnetic Energy, which tracks enemy targets.
----System Specs----

Return to “DLE-XP Help”