D1 Lighting Errors.

Everything around the Descent level editor

Moderators: Frustikus, Aus-RED-5

Enzo03

D1 Lighting Errors.

Postby Enzo03 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:46 pm

Copied from a ticket I'm about to post:
Several light textures, such as those from ceil002 - light to ceil030 - light will occasionally not provide any light at all, while textures such as lava and empty - light will at the same time will provide only about 75% of the light they are supposed to (seems to be 77.5). Sometimes, however, I will start DLE-XP up and try to light the same exact level and there will be no lighting problems.

I have no idea what could possibly cause this because it just seems to randomly happen.

How to reproduce:
-start DLE-XP and either load or create a D1 level (and for the latter, add one of the affected lights.
-with any settings of light you want, apply lights to entire mine.
-2 possible cases:
----(i) Lighting will be perfectly fine
----(ii) The above problems will occur, lighting will often be dim where it should be bright unless there are several lights in a sufficiently small area.
-these are the actual light values of the level, not just a graphical error in DLE.

If there is something I do that could possibly cause this to happen, I have no idea what it could be.

I have had no such problems when editing D2 levels, so if the problem exists at all with D2 then I have simply been exceptionally lucky, which is unlikely seeing as bad luck runs in my family.
Anyone else having this problem? It's making me mad.
:chainsaw:

edit: from the ticket:
Edit: I found something that I *guess* somewhat remedies this problem: I hit the reset light + color button and lo and behold, the lighting fixes itself.

But why should I have to click this button?

I certainly don't have to with D2.

I'm still mad.
:rage:
Some people are like Slinkies. They aren't really good or even useful for anything but they always manage to put a little smile on your face when you give them enough of a push down the stairs.
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Re: D1 Lighting Errors.

Postby karx11erx » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:29 pm

You can start to be mad when you have been maintaining a free program for 8 years and its users still jump in your face because of small problems although a simple workaround exists. ;)

In such a case the level contains a wrong light table - be it because it's old, or because DLE-XP erroneously uses the default D2 light table instead of the D1 table.

Posting a bug report is the right thing to do, and if you do what's the point of posting here too apart from venting your anger (which is rather pointless and certainly doesn't help a thing)?
Enzo03

Postby Enzo03 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:07 pm

Ah I'm not really mad, as in angry mad, as in the truest sense of the word... been misusing it lately.

I post in the forum in case whatever problem I'm having gets closed as a "works for me" kind of thing, something I'm often afraid of because if I get something like that I'm afraid I might actually get genuinely angry.
My experience is I get ignored I ask anyone about map editor problems or anything like that when I'm on mumble, and it's not like I have another computer to test things on.

I also do not like simple workarounds much. I mean sure, they'll suffice till a problem is fixed, but I've had bad experiences elsewhere where a problem would be blatantly ignored because of such annoying workarounds. Took me the better part of a month to make the connection between the "reset light + color" button and this workaround. The rest of it was spent "quitting" mapmaking.
Some people are like Slinkies. They aren't really good or even useful for anything but they always manage to put a little smile on your face when you give them enough of a push down the stairs.
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:35 am

Well, in that case asking here would have been a really good idea. :)

Return to “DLE-XP Help”