Enabling/disabling effects

Everything around the Descent level editor

Moderators: Frustikus, Aus-RED-5

Alter-Fox

Enabling/disabling effects

Postby Alter-Fox » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:32 am

I posted this ages ago (at least a year ago) but I never got a satisfactory answer, instead the topic ended up being a discussion of the merits of setting the mine on fire after you kill the reactor.
So I'm asking the question again. I know it's possible to point enable/disable triggers to effects objects -- and I've seen it done in levels like Dimensional Intersect. But how do you do it? I've tried the most obvious (to me) solution of selecting the object before I make the trigger and just leaving the trigger targets blank -- tried it multiple times, but that didn't work. Is it done some other way? Or am I actually doing it the right way and just keep running into bugs? There's no option for entering objects into a trigger's target field that I can see, and looking at levels where it's been done hasn't helped me at all -- with all the enourmous pseudo-scripted trigger network looking for one function when you don't even know what it looks like in the editor is like chasing your tail.

All the information about it I've ever seen -- here on the forum and also in the DLE documentation -- is that it's possible. Never any explanation of how to do it. I really, really want to do it because of how it would let me change the atmosphere "on the fly" instead of just setting the static atmosphere when I make the level. The potential for sequences like the mine self-destruction is enourmous.

AARGH so frustrated :jumps out the window:.
We live in a universe... It's distracting
=========================================================
beware of ounce
Pumo
D2X-XL Expert
D2X-XL Expert

Re: Enabling/disabling effects

Postby Pumo » Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:30 am

In fact it's pretty easy to make this.

Go to your current triggers properties (the trigger that will enable or disable a desired effect) in the trigger tab, and set it to be 'enable' or 'disable' type on the 'Descent 2 Types' list.
Now with the right mouse button, select the effect object (the one you want to be enabled/disabled) while you're still at the trigger tab.

Lastly, without doing anything else, in the 'trigger targets' section from your trigger's properties, click the 'add object' button.

And that's all.
The current selected effect object number (the one you selected with right mouse button) will be reflected on the 'segment, side' list of the trigger's targets. :)
[Pumo software main website] - Pumo Mines current progress: 60%
-SYSTEM SPECS-
CPU: Intel Core i7 4790 3.6 GHz (4 GHz Turbo)
RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333MHZ
SSD: Kingston SSDNow V300, 240GB
HDD: Seagate 1TB 7200RPM SATA
External HDD: Seagate Backup Plus Slim 1TB 5400RPM
Video: nVidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti OC 4GB
Sound: RealTek High Definition Audio
Display 1: LG 24M38H 24" 1080p HD LED Monitor
Display 2: Dell 19" 1440x900 TFT Monitor
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:29 am

Pumo knows more about DLE than I do! I implement such things, but when I don't use them (anymore), I forget them after a year or two and have to look them up in the code ...
:lolol:
Alter-Fox

Postby Alter-Fox » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:40 pm

Thanks Pumo.
We live in a universe... It's distracting
=========================================================
beware of ounce

Return to “DLE-XP Help”