Obscure question about OGG support

Everything around the Descent level editor

Moderators: Frustikus, Aus-RED-5

Alter-Fox

Obscure question about OGG support

Postby Alter-Fox » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:20 am

Would it be at all possible for D2X-XL to play an ogg file if the extension was changed to something other than .ogg (like, for example, .xlm -- which would stand for D2X-XL music file) but the file was left otherwise the same? So it's not actually converted to another file type, but it's meant to look like it is.
The reason I ask has to do with my D2X-XL demo mission (which is still coming along very slowly, I have layouts planned for all but one of the levels, eight out of eleven maps completed and almost everything that isn't level design finished). But anyways, the soundtrack is based on an album I'm planning to release for-profit at about the same time as the levelset -- "based on" meaning that it consists mostly of a selection of instrumental versions of vocal tracks from the album -- and changing the file extension would be a simple trick I could do to dissuade people from just ripping those tracks out of the game instead of giving me MONIES!!!; and it also prevents the files from being opened in certain media players (though I know there are some media players that are smarter...)

The only potential problem I see is that D2X-XL won't recognize the playlist text file telling it which songs to play when, because the lines in the text file would end with something other than ".ogg". And of course, the fact that I've just told everyone what I'm planning to do.
Apart from that first minor issue, could this work?

The reason I'm asking at all is that right now I'm incapable of testing it myself for various reasons.
We live in a universe... It's distracting
=========================================================
beware of ounce
Pumo
D2X-XL Expert
D2X-XL Expert

Re: Obscure question about OGG support

Postby Pumo » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:46 am

I've tested, and XL skips every playlist entry that doesn't have the .ogg extension at the end.
So you may need to find some workaround for this. :clue:
[Pumo software main website] - Pumo Mines current progress: 60%
-SYSTEM SPECS-
CPU: Intel Core i7 4790 3.6 GHz (4 GHz Turbo)
RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333MHZ
SSD: Kingston SSDNow V300, 240GB
HDD: Seagate 1TB 7200RPM SATA
External HDD: Seagate Backup Plus Slim 1TB 5400RPM
Video: nVidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti OC 4GB
Sound: RealTek High Definition Audio
Display 1: LG 24M38H 24" 1080p HD LED Monitor
Display 2: Dell 19" 1440x900 TFT Monitor

Return to “DLE-XP Help”