Custom textures completely ruined.

Everything around the Descent level editor

Moderators: Frustikus, Aus-RED-5

Xfing

Custom textures completely ruined.

Postby Xfing » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:05 am

Hey there guys, I wanna let you know about one problem that I know wasn't present in 1.7.78 but has been present in 1.11.64 and 1.11.67 (dunno about any versions in between, since I haven't been updating regularly.

The problem is, the new versions completely ruin any custom textures imported. Here's an example of a D1-exclusive texture loaded into a D2 map, with the alien1.pig palette (not that it matters much).

This is what it looks like. Not pretty, obviously. Right now, I'm forced to switch to 1.7.78 each time I want to insert a D1 texture, which is a nuisance (and I'm lucky I kept around a copy of an earlier version too). What could cause this?
Pumo
D2X-XL Expert
D2X-XL Expert

Re: Custom textures completely ruined.

Postby Pumo » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:27 am

I Couldn't see the image, but I reproduced the bug and yeap, it screws up the D1 textures, and in fact any 256 color BMP image you import into it.

It seems it's a palette problem, as if it could not compute the nearest color scheme to adapt the image to the actual level palette.

There's a workaround in the meantime for this, you could load the image in some image program (photoshop, paint shop pro, gimp) to apply manually the level palette (be either GroupA, Water, Fire, etc.) to the texture, and it works fine (i've tested) if you import the image with the level palette already applied, but of course you would need first to have the level palette extracted for use with the image program, although it's no biggie.

But what it must be done, is to report the bug on the Sourceforge tracker, so Diedel/Karx could fix the bug as soon as he can. ;)
[Pumo software main website] - Pumo Mines current progress: 60%
-SYSTEM SPECS-
CPU: Intel Core i7 4790 3.6 GHz (4 GHz Turbo)
RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333MHZ
SSD: Kingston SSDNow V300, 240GB
HDD: Seagate 1TB 7200RPM SATA
External HDD: Seagate Backup Plus Slim 1TB 5400RPM
Video: nVidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti OC 4GB
Sound: RealTek High Definition Audio
Display 1: LG 24M38H 24" 1080p HD LED Monitor
Display 2: Dell 19" 1440x900 TFT Monitor
Xfing

Postby Xfing » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:34 am

Pumo wrote:There's a workaround in the meantime for this, you could load the image in some image program (photoshop, paint shop pro, gimp) to apply manually the level palette (be either GroupA, Water, Fire, etc.) to the texture, and it works fine (i've tested) if you import the image with the level palette already applied, but of course you would need first to have the level palette extracted for use with the image program, although it's no biggie.

Oh, how do you do stuff like this? It would be plenty of fun to preset palettes for textures. But on the other hand I can't quite understand it. Any bitmap inserted into the file still has to make use of the current palette anyway. Plus, like I said before, this problem was nonexistent in versions like 1.7.78. Diedel and Karx must have screwed this up inadvertently.

But what it must be done, is to report the bug on the Sourceforge tracker, so Diedel/Karx could fix the bug as soon as he can. ;)

Could you do that for me please? Or if not, please point me towards the page where the sumbission is to be made. Thanks :)
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:40 pm

Bug fixed.
Xfing

Postby Xfing » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:27 pm

karx11erx wrote:Bug fixed.

That was fast! Hah, I shall drink a beer in your honor! :D
Hawkins
Location: /Universe/Milky-way/Sol/Earth/Europe/Greece/Athens/~

Postby Hawkins » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:56 pm

LOL, you look tired D.

Xfing, the project is listed and tracked at http://sourceforge.net/. Take a bit of time to register there and the follow the project's (D2X-XL) tickets here: http://sourceforge.net/p/d2x-xl/_list/tickets?source=navbar
You submit your bugs under "Bugs", It should be straight forward from there anyways.
Gigabyte® GA-X48-DQ6
Intel® Core 2™ Quad Q6600 @2.4GHz
ATi(AMD®) Radeon™ HD4870

Return to “DLE-XP Help”