Making custom robots?

Everything around the Descent level editor

Moderators: Frustikus, Aus-RED-5

Kaizerwolf

Making custom robots?

Postby Kaizerwolf » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:14 pm

I downloaded the custom robot creator off of PD, and got it installed. But it says it can't find a registered Descent. When i try to find one, I search through all the folders in the D2X-XL directory and i get nothing. Help?
Sirius

Postby Sirius » Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:34 am

It usually looks for DESCENT2.HAM or something, if memory serves. Probably .PIG too.

The DVM thing might look for the .EXE as well, of course, and it won't recognise D2X or later.
Frustikus
D2X-XL Team
D2X-XL Team

new robots

Postby Frustikus » Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:44 am

That is a great idea. However, what the project really needs, is someone, who wants to make new robot models for D2 and has the knowledge (like metalbeast) how to develop models without mistakes.
We need these models, at the latest when D2X will change to another engine, because all content for the new game must be freeware.

I would like to see models like the originals but with more details and much better textures. The robots must look like machines. Take a look at JoFFa´s sketches of a new pyro. That is the style I would prefer. I would like to see textures for the new robots, which are similar to the design of the Borg (Star Trek) or the Stroggs (Q**** IV).

It is the largest conceivable work (modding) for this project to replace all original robot models by new and better custom models.
Intel Q9550 (E0) @ 3420 MHz and standard voltage with Sonic Tower Rev.2, Geforce GTX 260 (896 MB), Asus P5Q Deluxe, 6 GB GSkill DDR2-1066, 2x500 GB Seagate @ Raid 0, Soundblaster XFi, Sharkoon Rebel12 Case, Teufel Concept Magnum 5:1, Samsung 2494 SW , Genius Navigator 535, Logitech Wingman FF, Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:43 am

DarkWolf from descenbb.net is currently creating a bunch of great new robots for that Descent Vignettes level set in the making. He is using another 3D modeling program and apparently has a converter turning his models in the POF format (original Descent 1/2 format). Ofc building ASE models would be preferred for D2X-XL.
Frustikus
D2X-XL Team
D2X-XL Team

new gametype

Postby Frustikus » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:58 am

Yes, ASE models would be fine.

I think, a new mission design would be possible in singleplayer. With ASE models it would be possible to destroy the Bots in parts. So the goal of a mission could be, to rescue the hostages only by disarming the robots without destroying them and without destroying the mine. That would be an alternation in mission design. :wink:
Intel Q9550 (E0) @ 3420 MHz and standard voltage with Sonic Tower Rev.2, Geforce GTX 260 (896 MB), Asus P5Q Deluxe, 6 GB GSkill DDR2-1066, 2x500 GB Seagate @ Raid 0, Soundblaster XFi, Sharkoon Rebel12 Case, Teufel Concept Magnum 5:1, Samsung 2494 SW , Genius Navigator 535, Logitech Wingman FF, Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Sirius

Postby Sirius » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:55 pm

POF is quite an annoying format to produce for thanks to the limited tools available... how's this for a process? :o

1) Darkhorse creates the model in Blender, does UV-mapping there, takes his screenshots etc and then converts to .3ds for me to use
2) I re-apply textures in Truespace 3.2, since it never seems to load the textures from the 3DS model properly, group the sub-meshes as well as I can, then save to .cob
3) I run the .cob file through cob2pm and hope it splits properly, otherwise, back to step 2; it exports to .pol format
4) (when necessary) I load the .pol in a custom editor and merge duplicate vertices, join co-planar faces (to reduce polygon count, since this often causes problems), split submodels if cob2pm didn't handle it properly, and re-position submodel centres
5) I load the .pol in Robot Edit and set joint animations and gunpoints, re-apply (yet again!) the textures, and save out to .hxm
6) Testing - I check the robot in both D2X-XL and D2X 0.2.6 to ensure it's rendering correctly, the weapons are coming from the right places, the joints animate properly, and it's not crashing the game when spawned from a robot generator. If there are issues generally some of the above has to be repeated...
7) I finally send the damn thing off to DarkFlameWolf so she can use it!

Easy robots (usually those with one submodel) take about an hour to convert and test, while the worst ones have taken several days.
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:25 pm

Sounds like a PITA ...

Oh well, it just had to be a standard Descent 2 level set ... :no:
Last edited by karx11erx on Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sirius

Postby Sirius » Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:26 pm

Yeah... that causes some limitations. Actually getting this stuff to work in standard D2 is impressive in a way, but there are always things you want to do but can't.

I do wish Descent could work on a non-cuboid engine though. Cubes make a lot of geometry pretty inefficient.

Return to “DLE-XP Help”