General Help questions?

Everything around the Descent level editor

Moderators: Frustikus, Aus-RED-5

Kaizerwolf

General Help questions?

Postby Kaizerwolf » Tue May 06, 2008 7:58 pm

I tried to find these things on Diedel's site, but i couldn't find anything that helped.

1. How do I put a speed boost in? Do I need a special cube or something?
2. Making a skybox. I read the directions to putting one in, but I didn't find anything on DLE-XP about adding one in.
3. More textures? Are there more textures I can add than what is shown? Cause when I look at some of Deidels pic's of DLE-XP, there's a new forcefeild texture, and in some of his levels, new metal surfaces. Can i find any new ones?
4. Making larger curved corners. What if I want to make say this: A 3 cube wide hallway. How do I make it turn slowly, and not at a 90 degree angle? Also, how do I make cubes on top of one another go up and down? I got a 5+ cube hallway moving up and down, but not left and right.

Please respond if you know. I would love to get more into DLE-XP :)
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Tue May 06, 2008 8:51 pm

The best thing is to load a few levels containing the stuff you want to do in DLE-XP and look how it's done.

Speed boosts are made using speed boost triggers.

Sky boxes are simply segments (cubes) with type "skybox".

You cannot add more textures, but you can tell DLE-XP and D2X-XL to replace standard textures with custom ones.

To make a curve, you need to distort the curve segments a little. Just move the inner vertical edge of a curve segment towards the opposing edge. Then use the "mirror segment" insertion mode after having made the segment side the current one you want the next cube to be attached to.

One hint: Many features are only available in D2X-XL type levels (chose when creating a new level, or convert existing ones via the menu).
Sirius

Postby Sirius » Tue May 06, 2008 10:49 pm

I was pretty sure much of that stuff was covered... I'm not 100% sure the "speed boost" cube type, if there is one, actually does anything - as Diedel says, triggers are what you need. There's a special kind of trigger - I think a speed boost with no target - that stops the whole thing.

Multi-cube curves are a tricky affair, especially when for whatever reason you need the cross-sections to be flat. I've devised my own methods of doing most of them, but for complicated stuff the easiest way is to wheel out Descent Block Builder (but beware; there are things it won't do. Both ends of the bend need to be pretty well defined).

One of the other easy-enough ways is to mark the faces of each cross-section, one by one, and use the block tools and a suitable reference cube to rotate them into place. That gives you a fair amount of custom control, in that you can have segments of varying lengths, which is usually hard to do convincingly in DBB. From memory this is the method I used to make the skeletons for the three big corridors in the second stage of Anthology.

What I've done more often lately, though, is to take one cube from the curve and recreate the rest of the tunnel cross-section from that. Then it's just a matter of joining massive numbers of cubes together.

If you don't follow... just check out DBB, it should let you do quite a lot of what you want.
Kaizerwolf

Postby Kaizerwolf » Thu May 15, 2008 1:23 am

New question. I am trying to make an elevator. It is a 3 by 3 cube. Now, what do I do?

This is my guess...

Start at the begining of the elevator (bottom) and place speed bost triggers on each of the 9 sides. Then at the top of the elevator, how do I stop the speed?

Then, i need to make a down elevator. Just the same process backwards right?

Please help :D
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Thu May 15, 2008 6:18 am

Place a speed boost trigger with a speed > 0 at the entry side of the elevator, pointing to where the elevator gets you. Place another speed boost trigger (speed 0/no target side) at the exit cube's exit side of the elevator. Regard that you cannot make sharp turns with speed boosts, only gradual ones. To do that, make a curved tunnel and place a new speed boost trigger at each tunnel segment's entry side, pointing to the segments exit side. See Lunar Outpost Reloaded's long entrance tunnel for an example.
Kaizerwolf

Postby Kaizerwolf » Thu May 15, 2008 11:40 am

I'll try that, but where exactly do I put the >0?

Also, if the elevator is 3 cubes by 3 cubes, do I have to repeat the process 9 times?
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Thu May 15, 2008 11:58 am

Each speed boost trigger has a speed slider. "> 0" means "greater than zero".
Sirius

Postby Sirius » Thu May 15, 2008 1:16 pm

Kaizerwolf wrote:I'll try that, but where exactly do I put the >0?

Also, if the elevator is 3 cubes by 3 cubes, do I have to repeat the process 9 times?

Yes, although you may be able to copy/paste triggers. You'll still need to edit the destination cubes for most of them though.
Alter-Fox

Postby Alter-Fox » Thu May 15, 2008 3:57 pm

If you've already inserted the start and end points for the curve, you can just use the "curve generator" in the tools menu, or by pressing "G". When you get the blue outline, just press the "P" key until it's either flat, or distorted (if you want it distorted.) When you're done, press "G" again and decide to either keep the curve or not. The only big pain I find with the curve generator is having to retexture each cube along the curve. 99 percent of the time it works like I want it to.

Another trick, if for some reason the cube at the end of the curve is still distorted... delete the last two cubes of the curve, then use the join sides tool to join the the end of the curve to the cube it's supposed to join to. Just make sure you have the right point selected!
Kaizerwolf

Postby Kaizerwolf » Fri May 16, 2008 9:50 pm

Problem. I'm still not understanding how to stop it, because now the ship is bouncing around at the end of the tunnel. How can I make the counter go to 0? I've been trying to use Lunar Outpost Reloaded begining area as a referebce, but i copied everything at the part where it stops and nothing.
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Fri May 16, 2008 9:59 pm

Why don't you examine the triggers at the tunnel end and *understand* what to do instead of copying everything in the hope it will work for you too?
Kaizerwolf

Postby Kaizerwolf » Fri May 16, 2008 10:49 pm

hey, no disrespect or anything, but been there, done that. I tried everything I could think of, and when that didnt work, i went and looked for help from Lunar Outpost. I didn't Copy, as you claimed, but mearly went for help from it when i got nothing but insults here.
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Sat May 17, 2008 6:31 am

The "stop boost" trigger is a trigger sitting at the segment side the player should be slowed down when passing and point to the direction the player is heading. It simply shouldn't have a target segment and side.
pokeman7452

Postby pokeman7452 » Sat May 17, 2008 6:23 pm

If you PM me the level, (Mediafire.com) I can look into it.

Return to “DLE-XP Help”