Lighting Woes [Solved]

Everything around the Descent level editor

Moderators: Frustikus, Aus-RED-5

Yokelassence

Postby Yokelassence » Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:53 am

I am beginning to understand more about this bug. I ran some more experiments in a test level where I recreated the blackout bug and came across these results:

I found out in the test level that the .clr file sometimes wont accept new light values and that explains several of my seemingly "random" encounters with black lights in the past

Once the .clr file is established in a level that previously did not have one, the values for all existing lights are saved but any light sources added later remains black, as if the .clr ignores them (Also sometimes the new lights work anyway but older lights turn off!)

Not using custom lights would then sound like a solution to all of this but heres the thing: the .clr file is always there. I could not remove it.

Even after deleting the file, DLE-XP remembers it and rebuilds the file when the level is saved, complete with all the data it contained.

The only way I could add new lights was by actualy removing every last light source so the .clr file would not come back when I saved the level. Then and only then, DLE-XL forgets about the previous .clr and allowed me to create a new one that contained data for all lights and not just the ones I started with.

Albiet this took a while but in the end the blackout bug was completely elliminated from the test level and all colored lights worked perfectly.

To add confusion I added some more lights this morning and they were not forgotten by the .clr but that may be because no custom light color data was changed.

No conclusions are being written yet, just sharing my test results.
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:45 am

the clr file doesn't hold "light" values. Before assigning light color to a texture, you need to assign a brightness to it (via the slider). Brightness goes to the lgt file. Only then can you set a color. Sometimes the dialog doesn't allow to set a color after changing the brightness. In that case, select another cube side and then switch back to the light emitting side.

The color value "255" denotes an RGB color, so you should chose another palette entry for white light (entry #1 - counting from zero - would be a good choice).

Once you have assigned a color to a single light emitting face, D2X-XL will assume you overrode all default colors in DLE-XP and will not apply them to any of the lights in the mine (resulting in them being white). So in that case you will have to set all color values manually. When I am back I will DLE-XP have use D2X-XL's default colors instead of all white, and add a "default color" button to the texture dialog so you can restore default colors for a single texture w/o affecting all the others.
Yokelassence

Postby Yokelassence » Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:28 am

Ok thanks for that, I was never sure what the .clr file contained, but it seemed to dictate what lights should work and what lights do not since removing it allowed me to fix the lighting.

Having said that however there is no proof that the problem lies in the .clr file anyway. This is why I said I was not drawing conclusions:

another test conducted this morning in a similar level environment showed that adding new lights after the .clr was made will not trigger the "blackouts" after all so everything in my last post is already questionable (It was just an observation anyway, I passed Biology so I know how to conduct a real test). Changing light colors on the other hand still makes blackouts and from what you posted you just explained why.

There is one level of mine that is still plagued by black lights and chances are there are no brightness values set whatsoever, I will investigate that.

By the way: I fixed the white light bug some time ago, I even have a level where almost every light has a custom color and it works fine. It is just the blackouts now.
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:44 am

Just never use the first palette entry (black anyway) as light color, and check levels with blacked out lights whether any of the affected lights (suddenly) have that entry as light value, and change them.
StanleyAdams

Re:

Postby StanleyAdams » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:22 am

Yokelassence wrote:I am beginning to understand more about this bug. I ran some more experiments in a test level where I recreated the blackout bug and came across these results:

I found out in the test level that the .clr file sometimes wont accept new light values and that explains several of my seemingly "random" encounters with black lights in the past

Once the .clr file is established in a level that previously did not have one, the values for all existing lights are saved but any light sources added later remains black, as if the .clr ignores them (Also sometimes the new lights work anyway but older lights turn off!)

Not using custom
led lights would then sound like a solution to all of this but heres the thing: the .clr file is always there. I could not remove it.

Even after deleting the file, DLE-XP remembers it and rebuilds the file when the level is saved, complete with all the data it contained.

The only way I could add new lights was by actualy removing every last light source so the .clr file would not come back when I saved the level. Then and only then, DLE-XL forgets about the previous .clr and allowed me to create a new one that contained data for all lights and not just the ones I started with.

Albiet this took a while but in the end the blackout bug was completely elliminated from the test level and all colored lights worked perfectly.

To add confusion I added some more lights this morning and they were not forgotten by the .clr but that may be because no custom light color data was changed.

No conclusions are being written yet, just sharing my test results

Hello friend were you able to resolve the bug? I am facing similar issue so can you provide useful information?Waiting for reply thanks in advance:)

Return to “DLE-XP Help”