Problem with DLE-XP Error messages

Everything around the Descent level editor

Moderators: Frustikus, Aus-RED-5

PhoenixManX-XL

Problem with DLE-XP Error messages

Postby PhoenixManX-XL » Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:35 pm

Here's the problem:
Whenever I make a single mistake on DLE-XP (in the numbered boxes, "Please specify an integer," and in the Edit Tool Bar, "Too small to move in that direction"), the error message continuously pops up every time I close it and it won't let me correct any of my mistakes.
I was working on a test level with custom messages and thick "ice" (which I thought was pretty "cool," placing ice in a level with a heater which, when activated, would "melt" the ice)--then, DLE-XP suddenly forked-up and I didn't even get to save my progress or anything! It wouldn't let me click outside of the error box, nor would it let me close DLE-XP. I had to open the Task Manager, select DLE-XP in Processes, and "End Process." At this time, my computer was running very slow and DLE-XP was hogging all the RAM at around 495KB (while my other processes were only using RAM around 15K). It could be that I'm using Vista, or it could be a problem with DLE-XP itself. But, if I wouldn'tve killed DLE-XP in time, my computer wold most likely crash due to loss of RAM...

But, whatever the reason, this problem needs to be fixed!
I'm tired of DLE-XP locking up everytime I make a simple mistake that it won't let me correct, thus the reason why I rarely use it to make levels of my own.
(I have to deal with enough people who rub my mistakes in like that, y'know...)

Is there any way this error message dialog box loop can be fixed? Thanks again...
This Phoenix has risen back from the ashes. (Glad I still remember my old password! XD)

--Avatar made by InvaderShade1094 of deviantART, all credits © to her (except for Sar the Tailbot, who is © to me).
The original picture is here ==> http://invadershade1094.deviantart.com/ ... -172792820
Please check it out :')

also, when you send me an invitation on MSN, don't forget to attach a message! ;D
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:51 pm

Turn them off in the preferences dialog until I have fixed that.
Yokelassence

Postby Yokelassence » Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:57 am

I think he means the error message that appears when you try to do something you cant and I dont see a way to disable that in the preferences menu.

That bug has cost me alot of time too as I deal with alot of cube editing in my mission. However I didnt give up on DLE-XP, it is still a very usefull tool. You just need to be careful

Some words of advice:

• Keep an eye on cube dimentions, it is shown on the bottom of the screen. If those numbers get close to 0 you will trigger the error message of death.
  • Watch your typing in text boxes, make sure you dont leave anything invalid in them
  • Never spin a line
  • SAVE YOUR WORK!
  • SAVE YOUR WORK!
  • SAVE YOUR WORK! I type this 3 times because I cannot stress it enough, make it a habit to save after each finished room and before you start cube editing

Good luck with your missions, so far I have completed half of my mission in DLE-XP and im sure you will have no trouble using it either.

As for the bug itself it seems to me you can fix it just with a bit of validation.

It appears the error message gets stuck in a constant loop because the condition that envoked it is still present

What you need to do is add a bit of code that resets the invalid text box entry or simply hits the undo function at the same time the error message appears
PhoenixManX-XL

Postby PhoenixManX-XL » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:49 pm

Okay, thanks for the advice! I'll be more careful from now on... (^_^')
This Phoenix has risen back from the ashes. (Glad I still remember my old password! XD)

--Avatar made by InvaderShade1094 of deviantART, all credits © to her (except for Sar the Tailbot, who is © to me).

The original picture is here ==> http://invadershade1094.deviantart.com/ ... -172792820

Please check it out :')

also, when you send me an invitation on MSN, don't forget to attach a message! ;D

Return to “DLE-XP Help”