game sunday 17 6 oclock? gmt=0

Find people and dates to play D2X-XL online here

Moderators: Frustikus, Aus-RED-5

karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:47 am

Hamachi? Sure, why use the direct networking method when you can put a compliated layer with two extra translataion steps between it?
Sirius

Postby Sirius » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:33 am

Why should Hamachi make it any easier, at any rate? Does it redirect everything over TCP/IP through a server or something (which, granted, is easier to get past routers, but...)?
Sykes

Postby Sykes » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:09 am

It will allow IPX connection to be used. It's only an alternative. I'm not forcing you guys to use it...
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:33 am

Sykes wrote:It will allow IPX connection to be used. It's only an alternative. I'm not forcing you guys to use it...

Why the heck do you want an obsolete, outdated networking protocol from two decades ago to be used?
Sykes

Postby Sykes » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:36 am

Same reason you're still programming an obsolete, outdated video game to make it function like a new game.

It's an old game, it can use an old protocol.
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:01 pm

Sykes wrote:Same reason you're still programming an obsolete, outdated video game to make it function like a new game.

It's an old game, it can use an old protocol.

That was a dumb and clueless reply of sorts.

There is no modern replacement for D2 (D3 isn't). But there is one for IPX and that is UDP/IP. The only reason IPX support is still in D2X-XL is to stay compatible to other D2 versions and KALI (using neither of which I recommend).

Don't talk as pertly as that to me again.
Sykes

Postby Sykes » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:16 pm

I was never forcing the use of Hamachi onto anyone. I don't see why people came down on that idea so hard. Hamachi can do what Kali does, only easier and free.
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:18 pm

Sykes wrote:I was never forcing the use of Hamachi onto anyone. I don't see why people came down on that idea so hard. Hamachi can do what Kali does, only easier and free.

That is not the point.

People can use Hamachi, and you can post a how to here if you like. The question is whether it makes any sense for D2X-XL users, and the point is your defense of the issue.
Last edited by karx11erx on Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sykes

Postby Sykes » Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:40 pm

My apologies, then. I phrased my sentences wrong, and I lost track of my point.
Sirius

Postby Sirius » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:30 pm

Well, the point seemed to be, if I understand correctly, that Hamachi makes connecting to multiplayer games over the internet easier, at least for you. My question is why...
Sykes

Postby Sykes » Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:12 am

Thank you for the civilized question.

UDP/IP or TCP/IP never really worked out for me, as I am behind multiple routers and firewalls, all custom programmed by my father, who is very good at that stuff. I've also read many posts on this site with problems finding the trackers, and UDP/IP simply not working at times.

Hamachi is not an "online IPX protocol". It emulates a Windows-friendly LAN adapter that can join any online network, and can be used for any LAN purposes. It as simply as typing in a network name and password to the network to join a LAN network, and it can be used in any way a LAN network can be used. This also means UDP/IP Multicast can be used to play D2X-XL, which is undoubtedly much "easier" than using trackers. It's also not a very big program, so it doesn't take a lot of memory/CPU/bandwidth to run. It's very easy to use, and it does not require signing up.

A D2X-XL network could be made, and any Hamachi users can join it, and it would make D2X-XL online gaming easier even if by a small amount. It also has a small, built-in chat function so you can talk to people on the same network.

I hope this makes my point a little more logical.
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:04 am

Actually you only need to open/forward two UDP ports, that's all, and if your father is so tech savvy why don't you ask him to help you? I am pretty sure you need to open ports for Hamachi too.
Aus-RED-5
Forum Moderator

Postby Aus-RED-5 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:06 am

karx11erx wrote: I am pretty sure you need to open ports for Hamachi too.

Nope, but you will want to disable file sharing and the like within the program to keep others from accessing your pc.

LogMeIn Hamachi is a VPN service that easily sets up in 10 minutes, and enables secure remote access to your business network, anywhere there's an Internet connection.

It works with your existing firewall, and requires no additional configuration. Hamachi is the first networking application to deliver an unprecedented level of direct peer-to-peer connectivity. It is simple, secure, and cost-effective.

Advantages of LogMeIn Hamachi

• LAN over the Internet Arrange multiple computers into their own secure network, just as if they were connected by a physical cable.
• Files and Network Drives Access critical files and network drives.
• Zero-configuration Works without having to adjust a firewall or router.
• Security Industry leading encryption and authentication.
• Cost Effective Free for non-commercial use. Commercial begins at $4.95/month.

hamachi
----System Specs----
Case: Corsair Obsidian 650D Black
Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth X58
CPU: Intel Core i7 960 3.20ghz
Heat Sink: Corsair H100 CPU Water Cooler
Memory: Corsair 6GB (3 x 2048mb) DDR3 1600 Dominator (PC12800 - TR3X6G1600C8D)
Video Card: ATi SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7970 3GB GDDR5 OC Edition
Hard Drives: SSD Corsair Force Series 3 F120 120GB & WD5003ABYX Enterprise RE4 500GB
Media Player: LG BH10LS30 BluRay Burner
Power Supply: Corsair HX-850
Monitor: Benq XL2420T LED
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:57 am

If somebody tells me how to implement UDP connectivity in a way that doesn't require modification of firewall settings, and if it's not too much of an effort, I will add that to D2X-XL.

I am however wondering how trustworthy a software is that so easily just circumvents your firewall, pretty much rendering it useless.
Sykes

Postby Sykes » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:05 pm

I honestly can't tell you that, as I will straight up say I have no idea. I do know, as someone previously stated, that you can turn off features like file sharing, which nearly reduces the chance of "assault" to 0. Though let's say we make a network called "D2X-XL" with the password "karx". Only people who actually now this network name, and the password, can even join it. And the network owner can kick people out of it if he wants (I think. I'm not sure of this). All you have from the other person is his IP address that Hamachi's emulated network adapter has. I'm sure there are built in safety features to prevent the typical "I'm steelin ur filez" but I'm not completely sure. All I know is that it's super easy to use, and costs absolutely nothing, not even registration time.

Return to “Multiplayer Date Planner”