Windows 7 Sound issues

All non Descent related stuff. Keep it civilized, this is not an NHB area.
Capt. Blackwood

Windows 7 Sound issues

Postby Capt. Blackwood » Sat May 09, 2009 9:47 pm

I've got SoundBlaster X-FI drivers from 07 installed. But it won't play through all of my speakers. I've got 5.1 selected and I've got the speakers too.

It's not recognizing them...it just plays stereo.
Sirius

Postby Sirius » Sat May 09, 2009 11:21 pm

What about for other software? This could just as easily be a problem with the drivers as anything else. I've never had a 5.1 setup to test D2X-XL with though.
Capt. Blackwood

Postby Capt. Blackwood » Sun May 10, 2009 1:30 am

I got a hold of a "Support Pack" for my install...it works.

5.1 works only if the game i'm playing it on supports it or i have it enabled.

Games with 5.1 support (Under Windows XP): (Games i have anyway)

Most of my Valve games (Even HL1 and TFC have it when enabled)

Descent 3 (Big surprise here...the guns are located behind the pilot on the wings...i'm sitting there hearing the guns from the back of the speakers going Eh? Where's my guns...so i knock of some bots and fire the guns. I have the rear speakers near my rear (not literally karx :P)

Surround runs in most of my half life 2 games under 7

D2X is partial but not fully tested.

I'm gonna give up testing 7 for a bit until they get Windows Live OneCare running

I'm dual booting,

Question: How do i reset to single booting?
Sirius

Postby Sirius » Sun May 10, 2009 5:54 am

That's the sort of thing I'd google for. You'll need to fiddle with the boot loader somehow, which hopefully something in Windows can do for you, but that doesn't always happen as nicely as you'd want.

One of the few things about Linux I actually found easier to work with; the boot loader...
Capt. Blackwood

Postby Capt. Blackwood » Sun May 10, 2009 6:45 pm

[edit: Don't quote entire posts right above your own!]

found a method...and am testing it...here goes nothin'
Sykes

Postby Sykes » Wed May 13, 2009 5:26 pm

Blackwood, I apologize for not seeing this earlier. Of all people to talk to about this, I'd be your guy. I have 3 copies of Win7 running, and I have a 5.1 surround sound system, and I have PLENTY of problems with it. Thankfully, I've fixed every one of them. Let me write up some stuff, and read your posts, and I'll edit this when I have some answers.

First off, right click your sound icon and go to "Playback Devices". Click the communications tab, and select the lowest option "Do nothing". This causes problems with every sound system (specifically surround sound) in every game I play. It automatically changes volume of programs when it detects "communication" and this can disable/confuse 5.1 systems, and cause "volume ghosting".

Second, D2X-XL will not play through any speakers other than your left and right front channels, neither will iTunes, Windows, or any other program unless it specifically is designed for 5.1 (like Valve games).

I see I'm 3 days late, so I'm not sure if you actually fixed your problem or not. If so, still take my advice and disable communication's auto volume changing.
Capt. Blackwood

Postby Capt. Blackwood » Wed May 13, 2009 5:51 pm

Thanks anyway.

I'm back on XP. :D
Sykes

Postby Sykes » Wed May 13, 2009 5:52 pm

Right'o. If you or anyone else has any Windows 7 questions or problems, feel free to ask me about it. I use it more than Microsoft.
DescentMax

Postby DescentMax » Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:14 am

I have Win7 as well. Im likeing it! Um im getting a surround sound system in this next week. Ill hook it up and ill check it out.

Return to “Off Topic”