Opera 10.0 (the browser)

All non Descent related stuff. Keep it civilized, this is not an NHB area.
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Opera 10.0 (the browser)

Postby karx11erx » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:30 am

Just tried it after having read a good review, and so far I am impressed. Very good layout, nice ideas (if you increase the tab panel size, each tab will show a small image of its web page), and lightning fast renderer. :omg:
Yokelassence

Postby Yokelassence » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:31 am

I have heard many good comments about Opera (or rather nothing bad). Particularly about its performance. Yet I never gave it much thought because I always thought it was commercial software.

But according to the website: Opera 10 is free and has been for some time, perhaps I may as well give it a second look. After all I am curious if it actually is faster than Chrome

I wonder why it still has almost no public recognition. People only know about IE or Safari, some still don't believe that Firefox is worth the download, most think Opera is a theatrical performance
-Core i5 4690 3.5Ghz--GTX 1070 8GB--16GB DDR3 800--Z97 Extreme4--512GB SSD/2TB HDD--Zalman Z11 case-

Old PC that no longer turns on. May it R.I.P:
-Core 2 Duo E8500 3.2Ghz--HD4850 512MB--4GB DDR2-800--Gigabyte EP45-DS3L--640GB Storage--Antec 300 Case-
blarget#

Postby blarget# » Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:22 pm

i say firefox all the way, IE 8 can **** ** *****, and opera is ok.... i guess.
Mahona

Postby Mahona » Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:40 pm

haha blarget...have you guys read the EULA though for IE8?

let's just say M$ makes me giggle one MORE time :lol:

P.S. it's riddled with their own malware / info-grabbing techniques. It's why they were paying people to upgrade :P
Sykes: "I don't win very often. I just never lose!"
"I'm broken!"

Karx: "I really can't stand people posting "karx will do this and that". Do it again and "karx will do something nasty to you". :P "
Sirius

Postby Sirius » Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:39 am

Malware not so much (at least not intentionally. heheh.) but info-grabbing I can kind of believe - there is some kind of telemetry I've been hearing about in win7 that is used for determining performance problem areas (you can probably turn it off though), which may have been applied to IE8 as well.

Though, again, you can probably turn it off since that kind of thing would prevent a lot of customers being able to install it.
Maaspuck

Postby Maaspuck » Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:49 pm

I've been using OPERA for many many years now since version 3.?? and i am quite satisfied with it. I especially like the the combination of browser and email client because i don't want to use two programs for this.

I use IE8 only when i am forced to do so (MS related sites) and i like FireFox but i didn't get familiar with it so far.

Maaspuck
ASUS P8Z77-V Pro
Intel Core i7 3770K
16 GB DDR3 1666 RAM
Soundblaster X-Fi Platinum Fatal1ty Champion
NVidia GTX 670

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
VladR

Postby VladR » Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:20 pm

Tried to use the opera few times in history, but since it doesn`t have Ald-D shortcut to get into address bar, and I wasn`t allowed to change that shortcut, it remained unusable for me.
Grabbing mouse and clicking to get to tyoe the address (No, hitting F2 really isn`t a viable option) is a huge no-no in my books. Plus, it has issues with many sites.

So, it`s no wonder I still use IE at work and at home and am quite happy about it, actually.

Opera did have a neat way of download manager, but if you`re using DAP anyway, there`s no reason to use anything else.
Mahona

Postby Mahona » Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:13 pm

Vladr....Firefox can do said Alt + D to get to the address bar and as far as the tests I've seen goes,
anytghing is faster at rendering pages than IE :P

"I'm broken!"

Karx: "I really can't stand people posting "karx will do this and that". Do it again and "karx will do something nasty to you". :P "
Sirius

Postby Sirius » Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:49 am

Depends which tests you look at. I heard of some which showed a mixed bag with IE8 coming out ahead of Firefox and Chrome on some sites... but all of them were pretty quick.

Then there's the question of who you believe. :)
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:15 am

Well, somehow Windows 7 hates all of my browsers (or all my browsers hate Windows 7). Firefox sometimes is extremely slow, and mouse gestures do not work properly (they do on WinXP). Opera doesn't always update pages properly. IE8 often hangs and doesn't render properly (and works worst of all the three).
Last edited by karx11erx on Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yokelassence

Postby Yokelassence » Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:17 am

Mahona wrote:Vladr....Firefox can do said Alt + D to get to the address bar and as far as the tests I've seen goes,
anytghing is faster at rendering pages than IE :P

For me, alt+D bookmarks the current page in Firefox, can you change that somewhere? But yea, IE is the slowest of them all with only a few exceptions as Sirius pointed out. Those exceptions just happen to be Microsoft pages that run Silverlight where IE7 pulls a sudden lead (yes, IE7 is humorously faster than IE8)

Nobody else uses Silverlight however so there is still very little reason to use IE for anything.

Lifehacker benchmarked these browsers and Chrome is still in the lead with Opera ranking closer to Firefox

But I'm sticking with Firefox for having unparalleled stability, I don't know about you guys but I find it runs in Windows 7 better than IE8 does and it crashes about as much as my Linux server.
-Core i5 4690 3.5Ghz--GTX 1070 8GB--16GB DDR3 800--Z97 Extreme4--512GB SSD/2TB HDD--Zalman Z11 case-

Old PC that no longer turns on. May it R.I.P:
-Core 2 Duo E8500 3.2Ghz--HD4850 512MB--4GB DDR2-800--Gigabyte EP45-DS3L--640GB Storage--Antec 300 Case-
Mahona

Postby Mahona » Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:24 pm

same here yokelassence, however in the end I think it's up to the end user as to which one he uses
(computer mfg's, consoles, games, etc).

EDIT: yes firefox can be changed to use alt + D to get to the address bar I have mine set up that way :)
and also in firefox if you want to have COMPLETE control over anything it does type ( about:config ) into
the address bar and it goes to the very advanced controls (text only though, like the win registry :wink: )

"I'm broken!"

Return to “Off Topic”