Interesting discussion: "best" Descent weapon?

All non Descent related stuff. Keep it civilized, this is not an NHB area.
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Interesting discussion: "best" Descent weapon?

Postby karx11erx » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:01 pm

I have found this to be the most interesting discussion on dbb.net for years (not that this would have been hard to achieve): http://www.descentbb.net/viewtopic.php?t=16498

I cannot comment there, so I'll do it here. I will not consider any D3 only weapons, because these are either stripped down variants of their D1/D2 counterparts, or grossly imbalanced (MD, Napalm missile).

What seems to be overlooked a bit over there is that the main question hovering invisibly over all that has been said there is "what makes a weapon 'great'" (or "what whould 'great' be related to a Descent weapon")?

The two factions that seem to be forming are the "exclusiveness" vs. "usability" advocats.

The majestic Fusion certainly is a very exclusive weapon. First of all I cannot remember having seen some similar in any other FPS game I remember (I could be wrong, but then I simply forgot about its pendants there). Then it is hard to use, so being good creates the association of true mastership of its wielder for many. Does this warrant a status of "Greatest Of All Time"? I don't think so. Everybody looks at it with awe, but (as good as) nobody uses it. That's not really a recommendation, don't you think? :D

The humble Plasma seems to be looked down a bit. That is probably because it is (or seems) easy to use, is efficient and therefore very popular. You will also find that kind of weapon in most (sci-fi) FPS games.

Quad Lasers sit somewhere in-between. It is a standard weapon, but it is less appreciated because its bolts move slower and do not obscure the opponents sight as much. It may be a bit underrated though: If used right it exceeds the Plasma in effectiveness imo, and it has a better price/performance (energy/damage) ratio.

Spreadfire? Pathetic pea shooter, that. Pfff.

What about the Gauss? When used with some skill I consider the Gauss the most devastating weapon in the game. It eats shields like mad and it bounces the target around. It also has this awe inspiring booming sound. Given that most FPS games have some sort of Gatling gun, it is not that exclusive though. It also doesn't have the tactical advantage of the Plasma of obscuring the opponent's sight, and firing it gives away your position more than the Plasma.

Then there is the Smart Missile. I have to say that the Smart has some exclusiveness to it - you need some tactical skill to fully exploit its potential - which lies in tactical gameplay. It also is a weapon you will not find in other FPS games - that makes it typically Descent. Finally, remember those green blobs messing with your adrenaline level through the homing signal they induce in your cockpit? This weapon can really pull at your nerves.

For me this is a head-to-head race between Smart Missile and Plasma Cannon, and in the end I the Plasma Cannon would win for me by a clear margin, Smart Missiles being second because they are both exclusive and typical Descent. Gauss would be coming third because it's cool, but usually dropped in favor of Plasma.

What are your thoughts?
Last edited by karx11erx on Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sirius

Postby Sirius » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:14 pm

When I commented on that I had assumed that it was a primary-only thing. However, the smart missile is definitely up there as well. Anyone can use it, but there are ways to use it more effectively and they aren't so easy to handle.

I kind of wish the guys in the DBB thread would cut out the egomania act though. It looks really, really silly.
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:29 pm

Sirius wrote:I kind of wish the guys in the DBB thread would cut out the egomania act though. It looks really, really silly.

:lolol:
I briefly wondered whether to comment on that, but the best thing is to simply ignore it. Would've been better DH hadn't swallowed the bait. :)
Sykes

Postby Sykes » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:17 pm

It's obvious you like smarts, plasma, and guass better than anything else because that's all you put in your levels! :D You never put spreadfire in them... Don't frown on the spreadfire. It may not out DPS (damage per second) the plasma or laser cannon, but switching between weapons mid-dogfight can really throw off your opponent. This comes down to what your favorite weapon is, instead of which one is the greatest. I say Spreadfire and Mercury missiles all the way!
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:37 pm

Actually I try to avoid putting "no skill" weapons in my levels. I could however add Spreadfire guns, but even in levels where there are some I see them hardly ever being used (probably mostly when it's the only gun a player has picked up when getting into a fight).
Sykes

Postby Sykes » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:42 pm

You put Fusion in there though. I would say Spreadfire is a bit more useful than Fusion, so why not? :)
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:33 pm

Because Fusion is a challenge - and very satisfying when you succeed with it. ;)
Sykes

Postby Sykes » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:45 pm

Hehe, fair enough. I still think throwing in at least one Spreadfire in some of your bigger levels would be nice. Maybe not diedel's playground though.
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:56 pm

Yeah, I will do that. Maybe replace a few Plasmas with them.
Aus-RED-5
Forum Moderator

Postby Aus-RED-5 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:38 pm

lol - Spreadfire... Spray and pray. :P
----System Specs----
Case: Corsair Obsidian 650D Black
Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth X58
CPU: Intel Core i7 960 3.20ghz
Heat Sink: Corsair H100 CPU Water Cooler
Memory: Corsair 6GB (3 x 2048mb) DDR3 1600 Dominator (PC12800 - TR3X6G1600C8D)
Video Card: ATi SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7970 3GB GDDR5 OC Edition
Hard Drives: SSD Corsair Force Series 3 F120 120GB & WD5003ABYX Enterprise RE4 500GB
Media Player: LG BH10LS30 BluRay Burner
Power Supply: Corsair HX-850
Monitor: Benq XL2420T LED
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:01 am

:lolol:
Sirius

Postby Sirius » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:10 am

Thing is though ... that can be a valid tactic. The spreadfire kills slowly, but it increases your odds of landing at least SOME hits, which can be necessary against some people.

It's just something of a last resort. (Fusion isn't even that - it's the weapon you would only ever use to prove you're awesome.)
Sykes

Postby Sykes » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:43 am

At point blank if you hit with all 3 shots, I believe it does more damage than plasma. (taking into account the increased firing rate of plasma)
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:09 am

Well, yeah, I hit people point blank all day long (in Descent, I mean! :P). ;)
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:11 am

"Killing me softly" ... heh.

Sirius wrote:Thing is though ... that can be a valid tactic. The spreadfire kills slowly, but it increases your odds of landing at least SOME hits, which can be necessary against some people.

That's the problem. If your opponent is so good that you can hardly hit him, he'll probably kill you long before you have killed him ... slowly.

Return to “Off Topic”