Descent like game called: Retrovirus

All non Descent related stuff. Keep it civilized, this is not an NHB area.
Aus-RED-5
Forum Moderator

Descent like game called: Retrovirus

Postby Aus-RED-5 » Thu May 03, 2012 11:31 am

GAME IS RELEASED!! Download it on Steam!

For those of you who don't visit the Descentbb.net site very often. I'll post what someone else found!

10-e1321270813834.jpg
10-e1321270813834.jpg (74.53 KiB) Viewed 8149 times

Once again someone else is/ has been working on a Descent type of game!

Teaser Trailer: Link

http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments ... ing_a_new/

Multiplayer game in action, plus more!
http://www.own3d.tv/cadenzainteractive#/watch/613188

Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/cadenzainteractive
and website: http://cadenzainteractive.com/

This looks really good so far. Check it out! :bounce:
----System Specs----
Case: Corsair Obsidian 650D Black
Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth X58
CPU: Intel Core i7 960 3.20ghz
Heat Sink: Corsair H100 CPU Water Cooler
Memory: Corsair 6GB (3 x 2048mb) DDR3 1600 Dominator (PC12800 - TR3X6G1600C8D)
Video Card: ATi SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7970 3GB GDDR5 OC Edition
Hard Drives: SSD Corsair Force Series 3 F120 120GB & WD5003ABYX Enterprise RE4 500GB
Media Player: LG BH10LS30 BluRay Burner
Power Supply: Corsair HX-850
Monitor: Benq XL2420T LED
Hawkins
Location: /Universe/Milky-way/Sol/Earth/Europe/Greece/Athens/~

Re: Descent like game called: Retrovirus

Postby Hawkins » Thu May 03, 2012 2:13 pm

:omg:
Gigabyte® GA-X48-DQ6
Intel® Core 2™ Quad Q6600 @2.4GHz
ATi(AMD®) Radeon™ HD4870

Postby Sirius » Fri May 04, 2012 9:23 am

...ok

So, first question that comes to mind is: does this one look more likely to ever be finished than anything else did?
Aus-RED-5
Forum Moderator

Postby Aus-RED-5 » Fri May 04, 2012 9:58 am

Who knows? :clue:
I'm just happy that people out there are at least trying.

Surely someone will finish a 6DoF project! :bounce:
----System Specs----
Hard Drives: SSD Corsair Force Series 3 F120 120GB & WD5003ABYX Enterprise RE4 500GB
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Fri May 04, 2012 10:59 am

Sirius wrote:...ok

So, first question that comes to mind is: does this one look more likely to ever be finished than anything else did?

They're working on it for two years already, and it's looking pretty well already. Looks like it mostly needs polish, and proper textures (their arts director mentioned they'd be about to create these).

That company also has created Sol Survivor, which looks quite well done, too.
Sirius

Postby Sirius » Fri May 04, 2012 4:24 pm

OK. Having released a prior game does kind of help.

It's hard for me to overcome apathy about this because people have been working on this something like 5-6 times before and nothing ever came of any of the attempts. See the DBB "6DoF Game Development" section for the massive graveyard - and it doesn't even include the early stuff like nTrap.

But I figure I'll find out if this goes anywhere and is any good.
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Fri May 04, 2012 5:46 pm

This is a game development company, not a bunch of amateur coder volunteers.
Alter-Fox

Postby Alter-Fox » Sat May 12, 2012 12:43 am

If the game gets far enough, I might be getting in the beta!
/teasing
We live in a universe... It's distracting
=========================================================
beware of ounce
cydereal

Postby cydereal » Wed May 16, 2012 1:32 am

Greetings!

I'm Cydereal, game designer for Retrovirus. A colleague from DXX-Rebirth's forums sent me over here saying you guys had also found our little game.

The talk of us not finishing is warranted given the number of indie studios that crop up, make a trailer and talk a big game, and then die before releasing anything. That phenomenon is by no means exclusive to 6DOF games, but I'd say this genre has had it worse than most. I can't make you believe me when I say "we will finish," but at this point our core game is funded and we're on schedule. Take that however you will :)

I'm actually here to solicit feedback. The three forums I'm stalking are full of people with years of experience playing and building 6DOF games. We're very passionate about the genre, but we're all way more casual about the genre. Retrovirus is early enough in development that we can still take feedback from communities like these and test them in our game. Some touches of Retrovirus will be different just given the lessons learned in game design between Descent and today, but we still want to be sure we address as much as we can. If we make a game that makes a ton of money but leaves the Descent fans unsatisfied, I don't know I'd consider it a success.

With that said, if you have some strong opinions, have at me. What parts of Descent are 100% critical to your experience? What have you seen of Retrovirus and what questions do you have on it?
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Wed May 16, 2012 1:36 am

Hi cydereal,

welcome to our community and this forum.

I hope you'll get a lot of valuable feedback here.

One thing I know of every ambitious Descentr wants to see in Retrovirus is the ability to "trichord" (e.g. increase speed by activating thrust along all three ship axis' and have it add up geometrically).
cydereal

Postby cydereal » Wed May 16, 2012 1:47 am

karx11erx wrote:One thing I know of every ambitious Descentr wants to see in Retrovirus is the ability to "trichord" (e.g. increase speed by activating thrust along all three ship axis' and have it add up geometrically).

That's something we may have to play with. Right now, moving in any one direction with any number of directional inputs results in one vector at a constant speed. Right clicking, however, adds a boost in the current movement vector. Holding right click after starting a move along that vector lets the player rotate freely while maintaining a boosted speed along that vector. It's also possible to tap WASD, Space or Shift to adjust the vector as you go.

Movement is critical. 100%. It may be something we have to test with some of the people in the Descent community getting a hands-on to let us know how they'd tweak it.
Sirius

Postby Sirius » Wed May 16, 2012 4:55 am

While I'm probably better-known for making levels, I have also played head-to-head multiplayer in Descent for many years, and I find Descent so strong at this that I've never found anything to replace it (if I had, well...).

So if you want my opinion: one of the things I'd be looking for in any spiritual successor to Descent is the depth of competitive multiplayer play. If you manage to pull it off, I'll play it. (And release of course... ;) But I am nothing if not patient; there are at least a couple of games I've had to wait more than five years for. Once the doors open I'll still be there, even if I may not be paying attention all the while up until then.)

There are a couple keys I see to this. One is that the environments have to meaningfully constrain movement; there have to be walls, limits on the space you have to evade fire, etc. Big open levels turn into flight sims - Descent was a lot more than that at its best.
The second, anachronistic as it may seem in today's era of "realism", is that most of the weapons need to have sufficient travel time to actually dodge them. Having to work for your kills (to varying degrees, it depends on your opponents) was something I found really special in Descent - in most first-person shooters everything was about who shot fastest and most accurately, but in Descent, you needed to out-move, out-shoot and out-wit your opponent. A lot of skills needed there - it's not unlike a fighting game, just with guns and in full 3D.

Trichording I found was a means to an end; what's it's great for is that it's one of the many things where if you've taken the time to master it, you can get that little bit more out of your ship than other people - and that little edge can make the difference between victory or defeat if you use it right. However, it's not necessarily the only way of doing that, and I don't say that trichording has to be in a game to make it good. But there probably are people out there who will disagree with me on that.

I find the pinnacle of competitive Descent to be in 1v1 games. If it's good there, it'll probably be good at everything else. Some things that contributed to it being what it was, above what I said above:
* Weapon balance - really obvious probably, but in D1 at least, and maybe D2 with some things removed, most guns weren't outright better than others - they were just better in different situations.
* You can't always see your opponent: this meant you had to try to guess or visualise where they were. Some people got frighteningly good at this. It turned into something of a game of chess, with each player trying to get into the head of the other.
* Extremely high skill ceiling - there were so many things you could do to improve your game - for years - and they would actually matter. Say, in Starcraft - can someone in the Platinum league beat a Grandmaster? Maybe, but they're going to have to get lucky. Descent isn't unlike this, except possibly with less luck - it's more like a best-of-20-games version of the above.

I do realise that it's possibly tricky to be sure you nail it unless you have your own David Kim, but it probably shouldn't be too hard to find people to help out with advice. (Of course community feedback has its own pros and cons when everyone wants different things, possibly at the expense of the general game-playing public... but I guess that's just the way it goes! ;))
Aus-RED-5
Forum Moderator

Postby Aus-RED-5 » Wed May 16, 2012 8:45 am

OMG - What Sirius said! ^^^ :thumb:

What parts of Descent are 100% critical to your experience?

You'll find that joystick support is a must.
Most old school Descent players (myself included) are joystick users. Though there is a few - if not more - mousers out there playing now days.
----System Specs----
Weyrman
D2X-XL Expert
D2X-XL Expert

Postby Weyrman » Wed May 16, 2012 9:08 am

Yes! :bounce: - Joystick support is a must. :bounce: I'm at the controls of a craft, not just moving on the screen (plus I get fingers muddled up too easily, :think: I'm hopeless with gamepads). :clue:
-SYSTEM SPECS-
MBoard:"GigaByte Z68X-UD3H-B3" Motherboard
CPU: Intel i7 E2600 3.40GHz
RAM: 8GB DDR3 2133MHZ
HD: WDC 10EARX 1TB SATA
Video: GigaByte 1G ATI 4890
Monitor: Asus VS428 LCD 24"
Sound: Onboard - now with connected 5.1 sound system
Aus-RED-5
Forum Moderator

Postby Aus-RED-5 » Wed May 16, 2012 10:05 am

Just to give cydereal an idea on the number of peeps setup and what they use for game play.

Control Schemes:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=138
http://www.descentbb.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7577
and http://www.dxx-rebirth.com/frm/index.ph ... 259.0.html

Probably more around, but this was just a quick search. :)
----System Specs----

Return to “Off Topic”