Destiny is dead - long live ...

All non Descent related stuff. Keep it civilized, this is not an NHB area.
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Destiny is dead - long live ...

Postby karx11erx » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:39 am

... Far Cry 4!

After being totally done with the bland, boring, repetitive chore that the most beautiful shitty game ever: Destiny is, made by an absymally incompetent team that Bungie is, I have finally started to play Far Cry 4 (PC version). My, what a difference that is! Far Cry 4 is all Destiny has promised, and much more. It has a huge, beautiful, interactive game world, tons of different locations, many different characters with very distinct character traits, a huge variety of tasks and missions, a thrilling story line, brilliant side missions, fantastic gadgets to boot, a resource system that actually works, makes sense and is fun to use, and it is gritty, brutal, dirty and hilarious all in one.

I haven't played such a great game in a long time, and I have only found minor nuisances in it that can be easily put up with when weighing in all the goodness of this game. It doesn't force you into anything, it is both challenging and forgiving enough to make playing even hard missions real fun, and you can stop anywhere and pick up where you left the next day. Where Destiny was gaming hell for me, Far Cry is gaming heaven. Both games are available for XBOX ONE, and Far Cry 4 showing that such huge, wonderful game can be made for a console, makes me wonder even more about how awfully lackluster, incomplete, dull and barren Destiny is in its every aspect.

My warmest recommendations. :thumb:
Alter-Fox

Re: Destiny is dead - long live ...

Postby Alter-Fox » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:53 pm

I've started playing Far Cry 3 over the holidays and I'm nowhere near done. Vaas is the same actor as the ex-boyfriend character in a TV show I watch. :lol: It's probably an obscure show but I have no real idea how popular it is, I just like it.
I've looked up the fourth game, but I'm not sure my new PC is good enough to run it and I don't like playing FPSs on conssoles.
And my friend keeps bugging me to play Dark Souls, but the ssecond boss is sso hard I don't want to go any farther. :mrgreen:
We live in a universe... It's distracting
=========================================================
beware of ounce
Sirius

Postby Sirius » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:42 am

Yeah, I ended up playing Dark Souls early last year. The sequel is still on my "to-do" list though. It kind of reminds me of games like Megaman, in its own way - it has those bosses that you more or less need to learn the patterns of before you can defeat them (or you can sort of muddle your way through by overpreparing, but still). Some people find that rewarding, others just find it incredibly frustrating. I suspect DFW might be a fan :mrgreen: Assuming she could stand the setting - it may be fantasy, but it's still roughly as cheery as a Lovecraft story.

On Far Cry - you know, it's funny - I think the original was what Crysis was a spiritual successor of sorts to? They've definitely gone their own individual ways since then though - sounds like Far Cry is more sandbox FPS these days, which is a genre that didn't really exist before the mid-2000s.
Yoshimitsu

Postby Yoshimitsu » Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:54 pm

One of the biggest things to realize in Dark Souls is how the weight/movement system works. There are 4 different movement/dodging speeds based on what percentage of your weight limit you are wearing (doesn't count thing in you inventory).

Less or equal to 25% = light/fast
25%-50% = medium
50%-100% = heavy/slow
Greater than 100% = overburdened/a slow walk

As you get yourself to the lighter speeds you can dodge faster and dodging uses less stamina. This is a huge help for boss fights. Also somewhere there is an item called Havel's Ring that increases you carry capacity while you wear it.

On the subject of open world shooters though, nothing will ever beat 2007's S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl for me.
Windows XP home edition (Service Pack 3 plus all updates)
Asrock Dual Series Motherboard
Onboard Sound (ALC888 Audio Codec) Using Realtek HD Audio Drivers
Intel Core 2 Duo 6400 (2.13Ghz)
2GB RAM
ATI Radeon HD 4850
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:27 pm

I have played Shadow of Chernobyl, and it was great. Imo, Far Cry 4 is up to its level.
Alter-Fox

Postby Alter-Fox » Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:50 pm

I've figured out how to beat him, but I end up spending too much time trying to get onto a ladder or whatnot, and then he pins me against the wall and murders me. The controls for those little systems are so iffy (on the 360, at least) they turn the fight into pure luck.
We live in a universe... It's distracting
=========================================================
beware of ounce
Sirius

Postby Sirius » Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:25 pm

Oh, that boss... yeah, I ended up cheesing it by repeatedly plunge-attacking him off the ladder, but you do have to climb it fast to do that, agreed. I'm told it's possible to beat him without resorting to that but it wasn't something I could really do at the stage I was at.

I played it on PC so I didn't have to deal with the console controller issue (I am not good with thumbsticks... not at all). It's quite clearly not designed to be played with KB/M but at least you can consistently go the direction you want to.
Aus-RED-5
Forum Moderator

Postby Aus-RED-5 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:25 pm

You can practically stand between his legs or stay behind him.
But really, you should buff your weapon to take him down faster. ;)
----System Specs----
Case: Corsair Obsidian 650D Black
Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth X58
CPU: Intel Core i7 960 3.20ghz
Heat Sink: Corsair H100 CPU Water Cooler
Memory: Corsair 6GB (3 x 2048mb) DDR3 1600 Dominator (PC12800 - TR3X6G1600C8D)
Video Card: ATi SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7970 3GB GDDR5 OC Edition
Hard Drives: SSD Corsair Force Series 3 F120 120GB & WD5003ABYX Enterprise RE4 500GB
Media Player: LG BH10LS30 BluRay Burner
Power Supply: Corsair HX-850
Monitor: Benq XL2420T LED

Return to “Off Topic”