d2x-xl.hog confusion for Linux users

All other topics around Descent and D2X-XL

Moderators: Frustikus, simX, Aus-RED-5

lloyd

d2x-xl.hog confusion for Linux users

Postby lloyd » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:40 am

Hello everyone, this is my first post on this forum. I'm a Descent 2 fan, and I'm really impressed with the amazing improvements in D2X-XL over the original Descent 2. Congratulations to Diedel and everyone else involved in this great project!

I have a suggestion: I don't think it's stated anywhere in the installation guide (http://www.descent2.de/install-frames.html) that Linux users need to obtain the file d2x-xl.hog (and several other 'data' files, it turns out) from the Windows download. As a Linux user, this confused me for quite a long time, until I finally found helpful information in this forum.

My suggestion is that you at least put a comment like "Linux users please download the Windows version to obtain important installation files" in the installation instructions or in the Linux source package. Or (better), make a separate downloadable package of the data files for Linux users.

I just downloaded the 1.14.78 source (latest version at this writing) and compiled it under Linux. (Thanks for fixing the oversized letters on the HUD, among other things!) How do I know when I need to obtain a new d2x-xl.hog (from the Windows release?)

I have some observations on compiling for Debian Linux (Lenny), which I'll put in a separate post.
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:57 am

It was written in tine D2X-XL for Linux installation notes on Sourceforge.net, but SF.net has a new File Release System and all these notes are gone. I will add them to my web site and the INSTALL document this week.
lloyd

Postby lloyd » Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:57 am

Thanks for taking care of this.

My other question was, "How do I know when I need to obtain a new d2x-xl.hog (from the Windows release?)"

I assume that d2x-xl.hog (and other data files), included at this time only in the Windows release, are not changed with every bugfix release. If however these data files *do* occasionally change, I think it would be good to put them in a package that a distinct version numbering system. For example, the current d2x-xl data files could be version 1.0 (or whatever). The Linux source README or the install instructions would indicate which version of the data files is necessary for a particular d2x-xl version.
D2X-XL Debian/Ubuntu package repository:
http://standish.home3.org/d2x-xl

Return to “General Discussions”