Debian d2x-xl package project

All other topics around Descent and D2X-XL

Moderators: Frustikus, simX, Aus-RED-5

lloyd

Debian d2x-xl package project

Postby lloyd » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:35 pm

I'd like to provide a d2x-xl installation package for Debian Linux. It should also work with Debian derivatives such as Ubuntu. (I also plan a Puppy Linux pet package, but I'll leave that for another post.

This thread is about planning for the first release of the Debian package. I'd like to get input from other Descent users about this.

By the way, d2x-xl runs GREAT under Linux!

First, is there a need for a d2x-xl Debian/Ubuntu package? I certainly think so. I think it is asking too much, even of Linux users, to compile the program from source. Moreover, people who have never heard of descent are not likely to compile it just to try the demo.

On the other hand, if there is a Linux package that installs easily, it could greatly increase the d2x-xl user base. (As most d2x-xl users will agree, trying d2x-xl is all that is needed to love it!)

Compiling d2x-xl for Linux is complicated by the need to compile and install the patched SDL and SDL_mixer libraries. And when that's done, the program directory structure and the user directory structure needs to be created and populated correctly. All this can and I think should be done by a Debian installer. (I already have a working Debian package with install scripts.)

(By the way, I have no intention to put d2x-xl levels and so forth into Debian packages.)

Here are my notes on the Debian package, which I will refer to as d2x-xl.deb.

PROPOSED D2X-XL DEBIAN PACKAGE SPECS
1. d2x-xl.deb should set up all necessary directory structure. Demo data files, d2x-xl.hog, and the latest texture files should be included. The idea is to allow the user to get a working d2x-xl as easily as possible. The only thing left should be adding the data files from the original descent 2.

2. Package will depend on libdirectfb-1.0-0 (>= 1.0.1-11), libsdl-mixer1.2 (>= 1.2.8-4), libsdl1.2debian (>= 1.2.13-2), libsdl-image1.2 (>= 1.2.6-3)
The mesa library for openGL (ibglw1-mesa (>= 7.0.3-7)) is only "suggested," since nvidia video drivers will supply its own openGL library.

3. d2x-xl has its own patched versions of libSDL and libSDL_mixer. The basic strategy is to have these packages be dependencies of d2x-xl.deb. After they are present, d2x-xl.deb will install, and will replace the existing versions of these 2 libraries with the d2x-xl versions.

d2x-xl.deb cannot, however, "openly" supply the patched versions of these SDL libraries. Debian's package management system won't permit that, unless d2x-xl.deb is made to "conflict" with the stock Debian SDL libraries. (If I did that, then I would not be able to install any other Debian package that requires the SDL libraries.)

My solution, a bit of a hack, was to have d2x-xl.deb's package installation script overwrite the original SDL libraries with the patched versions. The original versions of libSDL and libSDL_mixer are backed up at the time d2x-xl.deb is installed, and are automatically replaced when/if d2x-xl.deb is uninstalled.

4. d2x-xl.deb also provides a program, "d2x-xl_setup", which when run by user "joe" will set up the basic d2x-xl user files in /home/joe/.d2x-xl.

Comments/suggestions please. I won't be able to post the first version (or a link to it) until d2x-xl is made to work again with the D2 demo files. (Demo support appears to be broken - I just posted a bug report.)
D2X-XL Debian/Ubuntu package repository:
http://standish.home3.org/d2x-xl
MiG

Postby MiG » Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:26 am

I would love to see that happen ... :P
D2X-XL is IMHO still the best game ever, alongside KICK OFF 2, BoulderDash/EmeraldMine and a serious Doppel-Kopf.
Playing bass in a good band happens to be the next best thing, that is, besides my wonderful wife of course -;)
D2Junkie

Postby D2Junkie » Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:27 pm

I'm all for it. This will make D2X-XL much more accessible to the average Linux user - and much simpler for the advanced user. Perhaps these could eventually be accepted into Ubuntu repositories one day so that users can download and install D2X-XL with a package manager? After all, open-source ports like FreeDoom are in Ubuntu's repositories (and most of it's derivitives' repositories as well). I think this will make it easier on Deidel anyway, since we all know how he feels about Linux in general. :wink:
My ReverbNation Profile: Featuring My Descent Music Project: http://www.reverbnation.com/cliftonj
lloyd

Postby lloyd » Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:43 pm

Thanks for the supportive feedback!

I understand d2x-xl.hog has been fixed to allow demo support again, so I should be able to build a demo d2x-xl.deb, but I haven't been able to get the new d2x-xl.hog. I think I need to use CVS to get it, but I can't upload my SSH public key to my sourceforge account due to my dynamic IP (my IP changes *in-session* due to my GPRS cell phone Internet connection!)

Maybe CVS can be used without uploading any SSH public keys, but I still haven't figured it out. I never used CVS before.

I'm thinking now that maybe it would be better to change the name of the patched SDL libraries d2x-xl uses, rather than overwrite the installed ones (which could freak out some purists).

I'll post here as soon as I have a working demo Debian package.
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:46 pm

Who said d2x-xl.hog has been fixed to support demo support?

D2X-XL uses SVN, not CVS.
Pumo
D2X-XL Expert
D2X-XL Expert

Postby Pumo » Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:23 pm

Yeap, d2x-xl.hog is just a container of some data required by D2X-XL, it can't be fixed to run the demo.

The thing that was fixed was the program itself, not the hog file ;)
[Pumo software main website] - Pumo Mines current progress: 60%
-SYSTEM SPECS-
CPU: Intel Core i7 4790 3.6 GHz (4 GHz Turbo)
RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333MHZ
SSD: Kingston SSDNow V300, 240GB
HDD: Seagate 1TB 7200RPM SATA
External HDD: Seagate Backup Plus Slim 1TB 5400RPM
Video: nVidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti OC 4GB
Sound: RealTek High Definition Audio
Display 1: LG 24M38H 24" 1080p HD LED Monitor
Display 2: Dell 19" 1440x900 TFT Monitor
lloyd

Postby lloyd » Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:25 pm

I found a way to browse the latest d2x-xl files on sourceforge (something called SVN Browse), but I can't find d2x-xl.hog there anywhere. I think now that the non-support for D2 demo files was fixed in d2x-xl itself, not in the d2x-xl.hog data file. I'm compiling version 1.14.82 now.
lloyd

Postby lloyd » Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:37 pm

Sorry Pumo and karx11erx, I posted before I saw either of your comments.

The error given when I tried to run the demo previously was that file scoresb.pcx was not found. I thought d2x-xl.hog had been updated to include this file - sorry.

When d2x-xl *is* updated, can it be found somewhere in the SVN repository?
PS Correction: I meant, "When d2x-xl.hog *is* updated, can it be found somewhere in the SVN repository?"
Thanks for the answer (below.)
Last edited by lloyd on Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:31 pm

The SVN repository only contains source code and project files required to create the program on Windows, Linux and OS X.
lloyd

Demo working

Postby lloyd » Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:09 pm

I got the1.14.83 source and compiled it for Linux - demo mode is working now, you are great, Diedel! The demo with d2x-xl enhancements looks wonderful! I still don't have the configuration right to get sound in the demo. When I fix that I'll post the first Debian package.
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:25 pm

No sound w/ demo data? Looks like another bug. All for this crappy demo. The D1+D2 data costs USD 4,99 @ GOG.com. :wallbash:
lloyd

sound not working in v1.14.83 demo

Postby lloyd » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:26 pm

I tried to post a bug report at sourceforge.net, but my GPRS connection (Internet over GSM cell phone) changes my IP constantly *in-session*. I think SF.net has a check for in-session IP changes, and logs me out. I can't stay logged in to SF.net long enough to post a bug report. I'll ask them to consider removing this check (which is supposed to avoid hijacked sessions), since it is completely unnecessary when the connection is encrypted (https). No major banks do this.

Anyway, for the time being I cannot post bug reports at sourceforge.net. Please accept my report here. If someone can volunteer to post d2x-xl bug reports for me, that would be nice. (I'm sure there would not be many.)

This is my report:
"Sound appears to be broken when running v1.14.83 with the D2 demo files. The problem may affect Windows also - I have not checked. Music however plays OK, and otherwise the demo works (with the beautiful d2x-xl effects!)
If I can help locate the cause of this, just let me know."
--
Lloyd
lloyd

Postby lloyd » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:54 pm

Gee, time after time someone posts a reply to what I wrote, and I don't get to see it before I post again!

Yeah, it looks like demo sound is messed up. I'm sorry. I wish I could help find the problem. I have some programming experience, but d2x-xl would be a tremendous learning curve, I think, for me to begin to understand. In particular I know just about nothing about video and sound programming! However if I can of any help in bug hunting, let me know. Do you know which was the last d2x-xl version that definitely had working demo + sound?

Anyway, I know that the Descent disks are cheap, a demo version really IS important for complete newcomers to the game, to see how great it is, and I think the D2 demo accomplishes that. I have a lot of friends who would like to try d2x-xl.

By the way, I have email notifications of replies to my posts here enabled, but I never get any. I have my own postfix mail server and have checked the mail logs for any connections from descent.de - nothing. Any ideas?
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:17 am

The bloody mailer of the bloody debian Linux on my bloody v-server breaks all the time and I find it somewhat hard to read its logs and figure what's gone wrong this time. :rage:
lloyd

forum post reply notifications

Postby lloyd » Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:03 pm

I assumed the trouble with my not getting post reply notifications must have affected only me, else others would have reported this. My first idea is that your server's IP might be on a DNS blocklist, but it that were the case I should see a connection attempt in my mail server logs. Am I right in assuming that your mail server connects with "descent2.de" in the hostname?

(My mail server checks the IP of incoming connections against a couple of popular DNS blocklists, and if the IP is on any of those list, rejects delivery.)

Another possibility is that your mail server setup violates some important SMTP protocol. For example, your mail servers "HELO" name (hostname, probably something like mail.descent2.de) should resolve in DNS. That is, is should have an IP associated with it. If not, my mail server would reject the connection.

On the other hand, it seems like the problem can't be any of this, since I did get the forum signup email! I need to try the "password reminder" routine to see what happens.

I am pretty much an expert at running and configuring Debian servers (smtp, DNS, pop, www, ssh, mysql, etc.), so maybe I can help you out! My guess is that you are running Exim mail server. I run Postfix with Dovecot as POP (download from mailbox) server, and I *never* have trouble with it. You might like to email me about this (lloyd at crnatural.net).

I have a post to make on the new demo-capable d2x-xl release (1.14.84), but I'll make it separately.

Return to “General Discussions”