Debian d2x-xl package project

All other topics around Descent and D2X-XL

Moderators: Frustikus, simX, Aus-RED-5

D2Junkie

Postby D2Junkie » Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:36 am

I believe the error is coming primarily from the lack of a true video card - it's pretty well documented that D2X-XL does not like my Intel GMA 950 graphics. It works for some users, and it crashes for others (despite the fact that I have the latest drivers). The Win32 version of D2X-XL performs in Wine exactly as it does in Vista - just a bit more choppy.

I have an old desktop at home with a 2.0GHz Athlon XP, 512 MB RAM, and a 128MB ATI Radeon 7500 Pro in it. I've been really interested in slapping Ubuntu or Linux Mint onto it; if I do this, first thing I'll test is the Debian XL package.

I'm a fairly stupid Linux user; I don't even know how to compile the source to form a working version of D2X-XL anyway (that's why I use a basic-user distro like Linux Mint :) ). I installed all the dependencies, but I don't have any special video drivers, to my knowledge. Last I checked, the Intel website detected that my driver version was the newest available for Linux. I'll poke around with it more tomorrow when I have some time to kill with Linux. I'll let you know what happens. 8)
My ReverbNation Profile: Featuring My Descent Music Project: http://www.reverbnation.com/cliftonj
Aus-RED-5
Forum Moderator

Postby Aus-RED-5 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:58 am

lloyd wrote:Aus-RED-5, did you skip the step of executing d2x-xl_setup, which installs all the necessary directory structure under /home/<login>/.d2x-xl/? Just open a "console" or terminal and type that command in as a regular user (not root).

No to skipping and then yes to regular command. Same error as before. Could not find a valid hog file.

BTW - I ran the update manager and it listed the new d2x-xl demo version 1.14.93 plus other files need, however it can't d/l demo files. I'm getting a 404 error. Your page/ file is down (or whatever).

;)
----System Specs----
Case: Corsair Obsidian 650D Black
Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth X58
CPU: Intel Core i7 960 3.20ghz
Heat Sink: Corsair H100 CPU Water Cooler
Memory: Corsair 6GB (3 x 2048mb) DDR3 1600 Dominator (PC12800 - TR3X6G1600C8D)
Video Card: ATi SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7970 3GB GDDR5 OC Edition
Hard Drives: SSD Corsair Force Series 3 F120 120GB & WD5003ABYX Enterprise RE4 500GB
Media Player: LG BH10LS30 BluRay Burner
Power Supply: Corsair HX-850
Monitor: Benq XL2420T LED
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:59 am

Aus-RED,

what happens when you

- rename /usr/local/games/d2x-xl/data to /usr/local/games/d2x-xl/fulldata
- create /usr/local/games/d2x-xl/data
- put the demo data in /usr/local/games/d2x-xl/data
- copy d2x-xl.hog from /usr/local/games/d2x-xl/fulldata to /usr/local/games/d2x-xl/data

(all this in your regular D2X-XL installation)

and then try to run D2X-XL?

If you don't know how to build D2X-XL, please let me know (here).
Aus-RED-5
Forum Moderator

Postby Aus-RED-5 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:39 am

hummm... Since the files and folders where created in the root directory. I don't have permission to rename, move or change the folders.

**Hangs head in shame**

I'm clueless in building D2X-XL in Linux. :cry:
----System Specs----
Hard Drives: SSD Corsair Force Series 3 F120 120GB & WD5003ABYX Enterprise RE4 500GB
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:42 am

You need to make yourself super user to be able to rename them.

In a console window, type "su" <return>, then enter the admin password. When you're done, type "exit" <return>.
Aus-RED-5
Forum Moderator

Postby Aus-RED-5 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:08 am

Tried that. Authentication Failure.

Code: Select all

george@george-01:~$ su
Password:
su: Authentication failure
george@george-01:~$ sudo su
root@george-01:/home/george#

sudo su? Then what? :?
----System Specs----
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:20 am

"su" logs you on as super user until you logout. "sudo" only executes the command following it in super user mode. If you want to perform several actions, "su" might be more comfortable. You didn't forget your super user (admin) password, did you?
Aus-RED-5
Forum Moderator

Postby Aus-RED-5 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:28 am

lol - There was only one PW I entered when I installed the OS (and that works). Unless there was something auto generated I wasn't aware of?

The su cmd and pw followed didn't work at first, but when I entered sudo su. It prompted me for a PW again and then it accepted it.

EDIT: Don't worry, I'm working on building D2X-XL. I'll get back to you with updates on how I go.

I'll ask if I need help. ;)
----System Specs----
D2Junkie

Postby D2Junkie » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:37 pm

Aus-Red-5, I know that Linux Mint has a fantastic tool in which you can right-click inside of a window and select the option "Open as root" in which case you can modify things as root straight from the GUI file manager without having to use the terminal or logging out and back on as root. Since LM7 is basically Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty with a different front-end and some non-free media codecs installed, I was wondering if your version of Ubuntu had a similar option. :)
My ReverbNation Profile: Featuring My Descent Music Project: http://www.reverbnation.com/cliftonj
lloyd

Postby lloyd » Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:22 pm

Hi, I missed this whole conversation due to the time difference (I'm in Costa Rica).

Aus-RED-5, if you have only one password, then that is also the admin password. At the command line, you just put "sudo" in front of any command, and that command runs as root. To run a series of commands as root in a terminal on this sort of system, I have used "sudo -i" After that the sessions becomes a root shell. I suppose this is the same as using "sudo su" (which I have never tried.)

If you do sudo mc (midnight commander text mode file manageri), you can then do anything with files very easily, and even repair systems in which X (the GUI) is not working. Since I think your distro is Debian-based, you should be able to install "mc" in your package manager program.

There is also a similar pure graphics mode file manager called "Krusader" that has an "administrator mode" that can be used to do all these tasks like renaming system files and directories. This is best for those who really dislike the Linux command line.

(To Diedel: mc is also a great program to manage files over a ssh shell on a VPS, in case you are not using it.)

Hey, I just inspected the d2x-xl-demo package files and noticed that the d2demo.hog file has the wrong name! That explains the error message about hog file not found! If you rename the file in the data directory called "dedemo.hog (incorrect) to "d2demo.hog", it should work. You will need to use admin mode. In a few minutes I will update the Debian package on my server to have the correct file. Then you could just reinstall to fix the problem.

More later.
D2X-XL Debian/Ubuntu package repository:
http://standish.home3.org/d2x-xl
lloyd

Postby lloyd » Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:56 pm

OK, the package d2x-xl-demo has been updated to fix the incorrectly named hog file.

http://www.lstandish.com/linux/d2x-xl-demo

There are a lot of other improvements:

1. Menu entry added under games/arcade (untested). If the menu entry doesn't work, let me know, start the program via "Run Command..." in your main menu.

2. The user setup program has been removed, replaced by a wrapper script at /usr/local/bin/d2x-xl. It does the following:
a) checks for presence of necessary d2x-xl program and user files. (It doesn't check for the .hog and .pig files, though, since this is designed to work for both demo data and full descent data.)
b) checks for openGL/GLU libraries (which should be there for the package to install at all due to the dependency list)

If all is OK, the wrapper script invisibly starts d2x-xl. There is no perceptible lag.

If the user files have not yet been installed for the user starting the program, the wrapper script uses a nice friendly dialog box to ask the user if he wants to install those files.

In addition to this, I made a program to rebuild the d2x-xl-demo package, given a new version number. It works via a web interface (CGI). The version of D2x-XL in the latest package is 1.14.93. I will be able to keep it pretty much up to date.

I can't post bugs via SourceForge due to my constantly varying IP, so I will mention a couple of items here. This may apply to Linux only - don't know, I have never tried D2X-XL on Windows. I intend to download it soon and compare it to Linux.

1. Framecap (which gives me a checkbox to limit to "Vertical Sync", not a slider) only works when I go into the configuration menu. That is, during the game on my P4 my framerate might go over 100 fps, and when I press F2 for configuration it drops to about 40. On this computer, the "refresh rate" (which I think is the vertical sync) is set to 50 hertz.

(On my dual-core machine I have seen framerate over 400(!), again ignoring the framecap setting)

2. The last version I checked (1.14.88), the hires sounds (#2) were not working correctly. When I set d2x.ini to "-hires_sound 2", the sound cuts out momentarily at times of a lot of noise. "-hires_sound 0" (no hires sound) doesn't have this problem. Since this appears to be a problem in d2x-xl (and not in my hardware), I have set the default player setting for the Debian package to "-hires_sound 0"
lloyd

Debian repository broken

Postby lloyd » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:57 am

I just realized that the repository isn't working. I'm very sorry. I saw a report of failure but I though it was just momentary failure of my server. I'll fix this as soon as possible.
lloyd

Repository Fixed

Postby lloyd » Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:31 am

I finally figured out what the trouble was with the repository. Anyway, It's fixed now, and the problem with the missing hog file is also fixed, so please try again to install this.

The repository information is now completely different. Therefore, please follow the revised instructions at http://www.lstandish.com/linux/d2x-xl-demo

After installation, a new menu item should appear in the Games/Arcade section, but I haven't tested this. If the menu icon does not work just click "Run Program" from your main menu and enter "d2x-xl".

As soon as I get an opportunity to download this (my home Internet connection is too slow), I'll do testing myself.
lloyd

dividing up this package

Postby lloyd » Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:01 pm

One of the best things about the Debian Package System (used also by Ubuntu and Debian derivative distros) is that when you install a program, any supporting programs and libraries that are needed ("dependencies") are automatically pulled in.

In the case of d2x-xl-demo, this automatic dependency resolving behavior should be utilized to break the demo package up into chunks. This way, we can update, via Synaptic or another package manager, just the dx2-xl executable (about 1.6 meg compressed), rather than have to download the entire 30+ meg d2x-xl-demo package just to get the latest version of the d2x-xl executable.

I'll post more when I have revamped the packages. However, d2x-xl-demo should be working (for any opengl-capable, fairly recent Debian or Ubuntu) and I hope someone who installs it will post about it here.
lloyd

Postby lloyd » Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:08 pm

While splitting and rebuilding the packages, I found that the textures directory looks wrong. Anyone interested in trying this, please wait until I post that I have corrected it. I'm sorry for all the glitches in this.

PS False alarm, the textures in the demo look OK :oops:

The repository is offline until further notice (still fixing problems.)

Return to “General Discussions”