Debian d2x-xl package project

All other topics around Descent and D2X-XL

Moderators: Frustikus, simX, Aus-RED-5

lloyd

Postby lloyd » Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:54 pm

I was very confused on the hires sounds. I had installed the 'sounds2' directory from the d2x-xl-data-<version>.rar file, and I thought that meant I had all the hires sounds fully installed. I didn't realize that there are only a few hires sounds (the addon ones) in the d2x-xl-data-<version>.rar archive!

What further threw me off is the fact that the ship speedup and slowdown addon hires sounds are not working for me (Linux). Therefore I assumed that hires sound was not working at all. (Unfortunately, I spent a lot of time recompiling all the supporting programs that have to do with d2x-xl sound.)

Anway, I finally found the full Descent 2 hires sounds at http://www.descent2.de/downloads/hires-sounds-D2.rar and am downloading the file now (I have a slow dialup connection.) I think this will probably fix my hires sound problem on Linux (I'll confirm later.)

karx11erx, did you install the D2X-XL Ubuntu packages on your Ubuntu computer yet, to test it?
D2X-XL Debian/Ubuntu package repository:
http://standish.home3.org/d2x-xl
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:02 pm

I don't have a Ubuntu computer. The install goofed up - again, so I turned back to trusty openSuSE which works fabulously for me.
lloyd

Postby lloyd » Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:46 pm

Too bad you didn't get a chance to try the install packages on Ubuntu. Maybe someday. In my experience, Debian is a lot better than Ubuntu (more stable). I use the KDE window manager.

After I installed all the hires sounds for Descent 2, all my hires sound problems came to an end. :) So, I can say that D2X-XL is now working fabulously for me on Debian!

(Maybe the user should be advised to turn off hires sounds in d2x.ini unless the full hires sounds files are installed. In Linux, having hires_sounds set 'on' in d2x.ini without the full sound files set leads to sound cutout and poor quality sound.)

Soon I will update the Ubuntu/Debian binary executable and data files in the packages, and then do some posting on Ubuntu/Debian forums to promote the game! The binary demo install packages make it a breeze to install and try in Linux.
D2X-XL Debian/Ubuntu package repository:
http://standish.home3.org/d2x-xl
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:51 pm

Well, if that's what you think why not give it a good rating and probably a review on Sourceforge.net? :)
zelurker

Re: Debian d2x-xl package project

Postby zelurker » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:09 am

Thanks for your patches, lloyd, especially the one for the missing effects.h file from the sources !
Oh well I have started to work on a few patches on my side too, inspired by some old patches from the d2x-xl 1.9.x and 1.10.x days, I might put this in a git repository somewhere if you are interested.
For now, all I have added is a new keyboard handling which uses sdl directly instead of all the loops to keep the old dos compatibility. So it allows to use the top numerical keys which were unavailable on my french keyboard, and to use the shift key in the input fields (unicode is enabled only for these). Last time I did that it was a hack to keep the loops, this time I removed all of them, so the code is much shorter, clearer, and faster. I still need to enlarge the keyboard customisation dialog though, because a few key names are off limit, so it's still work in progress, but it looks good so far.

Anyway thanks again for you patches, they were a very good starting point !

(I didn't merge your patch about using png instead of tga yet because it has created problems for me, some tga when converted to png become grayscale 8bpp png (when uisng imagemagick convert without any special setting) and it badly messes things. Of course I could manually force the conversion to 24bpp everywhere, but it would be better if it worked in all cases, so I'll look into it later !).
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:50 am

Hi zelurker,

Please post your patches as diff files in the D2X-XL support request tracker.
zelurker

Postby zelurker » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:07 pm

I had a look to the patch tracker : interesting, but apparently you are the only one able to download the patches themselves, all I see is "1 attached file", but I can't see the file itself.

git is more convenient :
- easier for me to update the repository
- you can take the patch you want, or just ignore them all if you want
- anybody can access these patches, which is very useful (for me the patch for the glow.h was the most useful one, without it it's impossible to compile the sources, and I downloaded old versions to check them, even 1.5.90 has this missing file).

So I'll go for a public repository, I'll post the url in a few days...
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:27 pm

I am not gonna install git and compare your changes with the trunk myself. As long as I am the project maintainer, I will determine project structure and procedures, so if you want your changes incorporated in the D2X-XL trunk then please post diffs, like everybody else would (and as I do in other OpenSource projects where I contribute).

The right way to go would be to show that you are competent and trustworthy by providig regular and good contributions and as a consequence getting dev status in the D2X-XL project, with full write access to the official D2X-XL repo.

To make this really clear: While D2X-XL is open source in the sense that everybody can download and compile the source code, all code that I have added in its entirety (and that's a lot of the game's code, like the new renderer, the various effects, the tracker, etc. etc.) is proprietary, and this is stated in the license provided with D2X-XL. So I am not giving you permission to host that source code in your own software repository.
zelurker

Postby zelurker » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:24 pm

What a surprise !
Well there was a nice web interface for you to get all these patches very easily (or anyone else by the way), but now I am not sure anymore I want to give the url.
I'll think about it, but clearly I'd better avoid to post the url then !

As you wish !
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:00 pm

I have made you a reasonable offer, which you have declined. Instead you are trying to make me do all the tedious work for you: Get your code version off your repo, diff it with my trunk, and integrate your changes.

Your entire approach to this issue witnesses a certain amount of arrogance on your side, and I've had enough of that in my life and in this project.

I will certainly not aid you in sneaking your own repo into the D2X-XL project and in the end hijack the project by adding a few rather obscure hacks to the work I have done with it for 7 years.

Your offering my source code in a repo of yours will have consequences.

[zelurker = emmanuel.anne@gmail.com]

Return to “General Discussions”