This is mine...

MOUSE:

Left button: fire primary
Right button: fire secondary
Middle button: bombs!
longwinded

Postby longwinded » Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:54 am

For what it's worth, I'll quote the configuration of stx-Vile (AKA dadevore):

I use keyboard+mouse as well. D1X offers some nice gameplay features such as rebinding what keys are the weapons, instead of limiting them to the number keys. There's no way I'm reaching for the 0 key in the middle of a run. WASD for the same movement as in Doom or Quake, QR are the bank left and right keys, E and SHIFT are slide up (I liked having the freedom to choose, depending on which way I'm chording) and SPACE is slide down. The primary weapon keys are left as is, while conc and homing missiles are bound to Z and T respectively. Yeah, it's a little weird, but I was running out of easily reached keys. I used to have the rear view bound to the middle mouse button, but changed that to Flare since I never used it (I thought I would have time to care about what was going on behind the ship, at one point... meh).

I jack up the sensitivity in windows as far as it will go just for playing this game (it's set in the middle normally), along with ingame, but I don't touch acceleration... I turn fast enough as is, I think.

Oh yeah, and I don't believe this was a feature in the original game, but D1X lets you set weapon priorities, deciding when to switch to a new weapon when you pick it up. I turn all of these off and just switch to them manually.

I'm considering redoing some of the weapon keys just thinking about this goofy configuration

To assess its power, have a look at his incredible speedruns. This guy isn't flying, he is floating.
SYSTEM SPECS (G556E, NOTEBOOK)
CPU: Intel Pentium M 1700 MHz
RAM: 1 GB DDR 333 MHz
HD: HTS726060M9AT00 (7200 RPM 60 GB IDE)
Video: ATI Mobility Radeon 9700
Sound: Realtek AC'97 Audio
Sirius

Postby Sirius » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:52 am

Hm. He does know how to fly, but those videos don't really put him past any other reasonably proficient player (I can do all the same stuff). The acid test of a configuration tends to be dogfighting other players.
longwinded

Postby longwinded » Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:49 pm

Sirius wrote:Hm. He does know how to fly, but those videos don't really put him past any other reasonably proficient player (I can do all the same stuff). The acid test of a configuration tends to be dogfighting other players.

What aspects of the configuration would be tested by dogfighting that wouldn't be tested by (high-performance) speedrunning? After all, the videos showcase a rather extensive range of maneuvers: aiming, dodging, triple chording, banking, etc. If the configuration's control over the ship is, virtually, "complete" (as suggested by the videos), then poor dogfighting performance would seem to be a fault on the part of the player, not the configuration.

But if this is not the case: what more could (or should) I ask of my configuration than being able to comfortably triple chord and bank in all directions?
Sirius

Postby Sirius » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:11 am

Doing multiple things at once (he demonstrates some of this of course); turning as fast as possible; rapid direction changes; that sort of thing. One of the biggest config issues you can face in dogfighting is that if your keyboard can't handle at least ~5 simultaneous keypresses it can stop you doing some things. Most only guarantee about three.

I believe his config is up to it, it's just speedruns are a more of a controlled environment - thus you don't need to do everything you possibly can.
longwinded

Postby longwinded » Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:43 pm

Sirius wrote:Doing multiple things at once (he demonstrates some of this of course); turning as fast as possible; rapid direction changes; that sort of thing. One of the biggest config issues you can face in dogfighting is that if your keyboard can't handle at least ~5 simultaneous keypresses it can stop you doing some things. Most only guarantee about three.

Actually, if you employ modifier keys (Ctrl, Shift, etc.) and avoid too many adjacent letter keys, a minimum of four simultaneous key presses may be guaranteed on most keyboards. (Banking while triple chording wouldn't be possible otherwise!)

Doing multiple things at once: key conflicts limit on one level, finger shortage on another (only five on the average hand, after all). QE-banking WASD sliders may suffer key conflicts, but sliding and banking with the same fingers is very economical and frees up resources to enable, among other things, faster switching to the "right" weapon during combat. Dedicated fingers are costly.

Turning as fast as possible: then again, banking may matter more to mousers as a complement to the slower turning inherent in the mouse (due to picking it up). This would favor a dedicated banking finger (and no key conflicts), as in my own config.

Rapid direction changes: probably an underappreciated point. Darktalyn confirms a slight speed gain when using separate fingers for moving forwards and backwards. Some WASD sliders use the thumb for one direction and the pinky for the other. Of course, this too is costly, even if one finger is "free" while the other is in use.

It's interesting to note that the points often conflict with each other, making prioritizing and compromises unavoidable. The experienced player should analyze the characteristics of his own playing style and tailor his configuration to it.
Capt. Blackwood

Postby Capt. Blackwood » Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:34 pm

I'll be using my SST software from my X52 to map the keyboard onto the stick...minus the axis...hopefully i'll be able to route weapons to the rotary switches.
longwinded

Postby longwinded » Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:06 pm

I’ve revamped my mouse config slightly. My reasoning is as follows:

The left hand’s starting point is W, A, S and D as dedicated sliding keys.

Slide Left: A (ring finger)
Slide Right: D (index finger)
Slide Up: W (middle finger)
Slide Down: S (middle finger)

Of the still unused little finger and thumb, the slower little finger is assigned to banking.

Bank Left: Left Shift (little finger)
Bank Right: Left Ctrl (little finger)

The faster thumb enables swift switching between forwards and backwards movement.

Accelerate: V (thumb)
Reverse: B (thumb)

Finally, set up the functions whose keys in the standard configuration were overwritten.

Drop Bomb: C (index finger)
Afterburner: Space Bar (back-up), Middle Mouse Button

And we’re done. Everything else is default.

The keys used are the same as before, so I can do simultaneous triple chording and banking as usual. The main change is switching the little finger and thumb – rapid direction changes are not integral to banking, but do matter with regard to accelerate/reverse. Suffice to say that chording of all sorts is very comfortable now.

Return to “General Discussions”