Please rate or review D2X-XL on Sourceforge.net!

All other topics around Descent and D2X-XL

Moderators: Frustikus, simX, Aus-RED-5

karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:01 am

I mean, even if it was D3, how in all the earth would that justify rating it down? Unless you think D3 is total crap, of course.
Sirius

Postby Sirius » Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:46 pm

"pretty buggy software, not like the original one"

Ah, ignorance is bliss. In this case, the reviewer either never played or doesn't remember much about the original one.

...rofl, there's more:
"hacked level editor that makes all the xl features possible is not open source"
Blatantly false. This used to be true, but as of the time it was posted it isn't.

"attained using non open source software"
I think this person is trying to attack you for developing D2X-XL in Visual Studio or something. Um... what the hell? Why do you need to hamstring yourself with tools you don't want to use if the result is the same anyway?

Hey, I'm non-anonymous and my review was much earlier. Interesting. Seems like all this stuff came at once - what is this, a /b/ flash mob?
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:36 pm

I mean, what do these people want? I only got the DLE-XP source code from Bryan Aamot after signing a non disclosure agreement as the source code was property of Interplay. I now have Interplay's permission to publish the source code, which I did. I wonder what a "hacked level editor" is? It has a ton of bug fixes, new features and is way faster than DMB2.

:crazy:
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:44 pm

Bubbafoul is polluting the review area with his bizarre logic ... tell him what to think about having the DLE-XP source code legally publicly available. I wonder whether this guy will ever learn to speak with his mouth and not with his anus, but I doubt it will happen.

I have contacted SF.net about this and I hope the spook is over soon.
CargoOfDarkness

Postby CargoOfDarkness » Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:58 pm

*writes review* *presses post review button*

*waits*

POST THIS REVIEW, YOU UNWIELDY BEHEMOTH!

*switches to firefox*

*posts in 1 second*

Well, here we go....
"Prepare For Descent" - "Auf Absturz vorbereiten" ...jo, passt zu D2X-XL! ;)
Aus-RED-5
Forum Moderator

Postby Aus-RED-5 » Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:04 am

DMB2 was never included in the open source release by parallax which is available at descent2.com (not .de)

Huh? I don't understand why the thumbs down for D2X-XL then? :roll:
----System Specs----
Case: Corsair Obsidian 650D Black
Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth X58
CPU: Intel Core i7 960 3.20ghz
Heat Sink: Corsair H100 CPU Water Cooler
Memory: Corsair 6GB (3 x 2048mb) DDR3 1600 Dominator (PC12800 - TR3X6G1600C8D)
Video Card: ATi SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7970 3GB GDDR5 OC Edition
Hard Drives: SSD Corsair Force Series 3 F120 120GB & WD5003ABYX Enterprise RE4 500GB
Media Player: LG BH10LS30 BluRay Burner
Power Supply: Corsair HX-850
Monitor: Benq XL2420T LED
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:40 pm

Chris Taylor (Interplay) wrote:Subject: Customer Service Contact
Date: Wed, 13 May 2009 11:07:01 -0700
To: karx11erx@hotmail.com

Mr. Mali,

Thank you for writing back to us with the extra clarification on your request. After further consideration we have decided that yes, you do have our permission to release the source code. Sorry for the misunderstanding!

Please do not respond to this email. If you have further questions use the customer service contact form on our website found here: http://www.interplay.com/support/customer_service.php

-----Original Message-----
Incoming message from Interplay Customer Service page.

Date: Mon, 11 May 09 20:38:01
Phone: 00497232319280

This message is in reply to your e-mail regarding my request for permission to release the DLE-XP source code to the public. Your e-mail stated explicitly that I should use this web form for further inquiries and not reply to it. This message may therefore look a bit unrelated, in the case of which you may want to re-read your e-mail.

As far as I know Interplay does not sell DMB2 (there wouldn't a point in selling it anyway, given DLE-XP is freely available), but only the Descent 1 and 2 games via GoG.

I pretty much have an interest in Descent 1 and 2 being continued to be sold, as it will allow people to legally obtain a copy of the game data and use D2X-XL on top of it, and I think that both D2X-XL and DLE-XP increase the value of your offer of Descent 1 and 2 on GoG.com. D2X-XL is certainly the way to go when playing Descent 1 or 2 these days - the GoG version of these games being patched up or not.

As far as I know, the rights to DMB2 had been sold to Interplay by Bryan Aamot (the creator of DMB2), and Bryan had initially obtained Interplay's permission to hand the DMB2 code to me a couple of years ago, so that I could fix and improve it, and now has told me to ask Interplay for permission to publish the source code as Interplay owns the rights to it. So the legal side seems pretty clear to me, and I do not quite understand your concerns.

Maybe with that information you can reconsider your decision.

Kind regards

Dietfrid Mali (karx11erx)
Sykes

Postby Sykes » Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:43 pm

I think it's so cool how your project is noticed and supported by Interplay! Glad things are working out.
blarget#

Postby blarget# » Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:04 pm

they might even give you the right to distribute copies of descent?

never mind, they wont
Sirius

Postby Sirius » Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:32 pm

GoG has that. Distribution rights would be equivalent to shooting themselves in the foot.
blarget#

Postby blarget# » Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:49 pm

lol, gog wouldent mind anymore....... :P
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:05 pm

blarget, what?
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:06 pm

I would like to thank all that have supported D2X-XL on Sourceforge.net so far. Keep the (good) reviews coming! :D
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:48 am

Now people are complaining about installing D2X-XL would be impossible there ... :roll:

One should think that everybody should be able to launch a self extracting archive, enter the proper game folder and launch D2X-XL to have it rearrange all game files the way it needs them ... :no:

Installing the game on Linux admittedly involves more manual work and is more complicated, but anybody with the ambition to use Linux should be prepared for something like that and be able to read and follow an INSTALL file. Some people do not seem to be able to handle any text with more than two sentences in three lines ... and may prefer to rant over looking for help here either.

:wallbash:

Maybe I should integrate an intelligence test in the installer and tell people who fail to try again in a year. :twisted:

Return to “General Discussions”