DScent: Descent for the Nintendo DS

All other topics around Descent and D2X-XL

Moderators: Frustikus, simX, Aus-RED-5

neumaennl

Postby neumaennl » Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:05 pm

Well I don't know if I have the skills to finish it, to be honest.
I am a professional developer, but at work I develop in Java and do some SQL and Shell scripts.
I've only done some very small C/C++ projects so far and I don't know the Descent source code very well.
Add to this that the Descent source code is not documented very well.

That was the reason why I came asking here in the first place. I doubt that I'll be able to finish it on my own.

I'll try my best, though, but I can't make any promises. That's why I haven't put up a website yet.

Thank you very much for you offer to help, but at the moment what I need most is some help with the source code.
Diedel and zico have both given me very helpful tips and if Diedel hadn't explained me how timing works in Descent I wouldn't even have been able to fix the briefings.

If all goes well there will be a day when I will need beta testers and then I'd be grateful if you helped, but right now I don't even have all the features of kayvenm's latest release (Alpha 4.3) because he only released the source of Alpha 3 which has less way less features and way more bugs. Right now I don't even have sound working.

I don't wanna crush your hopes and I will try to get this working, but I don't wanna be called a poser promising things he can't pull off either, so I wanted to set this straight.
I 've written some Nonogram games: Mobile Nonogram and PyNonogram
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:08 pm

I will see whether I can help more with this. No promises though.

Did you ever consider to port D1X-Rebirth instead of D1X? That might be a better choice.
pyro_2009

Postby pyro_2009 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:14 pm

I have a link to the original Descent 1 source code, if anyone is interested:

http://www.descent2.com/ddn/sources/descent1/

I've taken a look at the code several times over the past couple of years; it is indeed a bit of a mess. For that reason, using the D1X-Rebirth code might be a better idea like Diedel said.

Although it might also be wise to stick as close to the original D1 source code as possible, because the D1X-Rebirth code may have added some things that the Nintendo DS doesn't support or can't handle. I think that kayvenm, the guy who started work on DScent, started with the original D1 code himself.

To neumaennl, I'm just glad that someone is interested in working on DScent again. In the past I tried hard to find someone that wanted to continue the project... For that reason my hopes have been crushed plenty of times already, so I'm used to it :wink: . I am not pressuring you at all, I would be glad for any improvements you can make to DScent.
================== SYSTEM SPECS ==================
System: HP Compaq tc4400 Tablet Notebook PC
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.00GHz
Memory: 4 GB RAM (with 32GB ReadyBoost)
Hard Drive: 120 GB PATA HDD
Graphics Card: Mobile Intel(R) 945 Express Chipset, 256 MB VRAM
Monitor: 1024x768 Max Resolution, 32-bit True Color
Sound: SoundMAX Integrated Digital HD Audio
neumaennl

Postby neumaennl » Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:55 pm

I did not port anything to the Nintendo DS.
kayvenm did all the porting.
I only updated his code where it was necessary due to API changes in libnds.
Then I got the timer working with Diedel's help and this fixed the briefings so it is possible to start a new game.
Apart from that I have only made some minor cosmetic changes to the briefing code so that the briefings look less broken.

I definitely don't have the necessary knowledge of the Descent/D1X/D1X-Rebirth code and libnds to start porting this from scratch. Therefore my plan is to patch the current DScent code with code from D1X-Rebirth.

I don't know which codebase kayvenm used when he started porting this to the Nintendo DS.
I've read that libnds features a 3D API that is roughly a subset of OpenGL ES.
Starting from plain Descent code and porting 'from scratch' again doesn't seem to be a good idea in my opinion.

zico offered to help, too, but he's on vacation now and he said he's pretty tied up with DXX-Rebirth and real life.
He's very interested, though, has the real hardware and a flashcart and he also gave me some valuable hints already.

Independent from this I'd be really grateful if Diedel continued to help out. Nobody knows the Descent source code better than him and he has literally decades of programming experience.
I will definitely not be able to sink as much time into DScent as he does invest into D2X-XL, though.
I don't know where he takes the time from to be able to improve D2X-XL beyond anything imaginable at the speed of light, maintain his other hobbies and work on his job. His day probably has 50 hours and he doesn't sleep. To me he's the Software Engineering version of Chuck Norris.

As soon as I get more familiar with the source code, libnds and of course C itself, I'll be able to provide results faster. Right now it's really just uncharted territory for me and I'm proud I got it compiled and running at all. I'm beginning to understand more and more bits and pieces, though.
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:58 pm

Well, the answer is simple. When other people watch TV in the evening, I rather poke around a little in some code. ;)
neumaennl

Postby neumaennl » Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:18 pm

I don't watch TV neither, but I go out and have guests every now and then :)
Plus I do some electronics, Papercraft and gaming :wink:
CH-3

Postby CH-3 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:58 am

All this about Descent for DS sounds good.
A shame I don't have a DS. :B

Return to “General Discussions”