Original Descent & Descent 2 Music

All other topics around Descent and D2X-XL

Moderators: Frustikus, simX, Aus-RED-5

sanmadjack

Original Descent & Descent 2 Music

Postby sanmadjack » Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:52 pm

I'm putting together a pack of all the music from Descent 1 & 2 in FLAC (and an optional OGG) format for use with d2x-xl. I've actually been working on this for awhile, but work and school got in the way. So far I've ripped the following:
    Macintosh Descent
    Original Descent 2
    Infinite Abyss Descent 2 (Extended Tracks FTW!)
    The Vertigo Series

My Mac Descent CD is a bit scratched up, and I think it affected the tracks so I found one on ebay that should arrive soon. The biggest reason that I'm writing this, other than announcing my endeavor, is I want to know if I'm missing any Descent music. Primarily I'm thinking about the Playstation Descents (which I have copies of). Does anyone know where I can find a track list of the music in the Playstation versions? They're not stored in CD-A so I can't just look at them :( If any one knows how to extract the music, that would also be useful information. I'm also putting together playlists for use with d2x-xl (and .m3u for recreational listening) that recreate the track orders from the original discs, as well as the track order from the original Descent 2 disc using the extended tracks. I want this to be an all-encompassing pack of Descent music, and I would appreciate any information anybody can provide.
sanmadjack

Postby sanmadjack » Sun Nov 18, 2007 5:21 pm

I got my Descent Mac CD in the mail finally and I re-ripped it all. I was right, some of the tracks fro my previous one were damaged. A forum member named TheTome messages me some useful resources, and while they didn't provide any new music, they did give me more of a sense of organization about all the Descent music.

I've also learned how to get the music from the playstation versions, and I'm working on extracting those now. This should provide me with all the answers I've been looking for.
darklord42

Postby darklord42 » Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:22 pm

Dang, I would have been happy to give them to you too had I been here to see this. My mac d1 cd actually still works and the I ripped them to .ogg format along time ago. Unfortunately for me, mp3/.ogg playback isn't supported for the mac version as of now.
sanmadjack

Postby sanmadjack » Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:13 pm

Well I just finished going through the Descent Playstation music and I have found some massive differences. It's primarily composed of music from the Mac Descent Soundtrack, but also features some music from the PC Descent 2 soundtrack in much-expanded form. Some tracks are a good 2 minutes longer than even the Vertigo tracks. I've successfully converted all the tracks to FLAC and I will now start working on the Descent Maximum songs.
Last edited by sanmadjack on Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
-JoFFa-

Postby -JoFFa- » Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:01 pm

I'm watching this really carefully! I must admit - that i wanted to have those PC tracks updated - long time. and i'm a big fan of SAM and MAX as well.
sanmadjack

Postby sanmadjack » Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:30 am

Happy turkey day to those who celebrate it. I finished going over the Descent Maximum music, and for the most part it's all the same as tracks from the original Descent II and Infinite Abyss discs. There are a few differences though, enough that I'm just going to package it up with all the other tracks for the final product.

I'm actually thinking about creating a launcher that will give you a list of all the available playlists that I'm going to put together then launch the game using the selected playlist. If I did, I'm pretty sure I'd want to use Mono to write it, as that is what I'm learning right now and it's also fairly cross-platform. The only downside I can see is the ned to install mono. Any thoughts on this? If no one brings anything up, I am going to take the silence as an "it's all good" and go ahead with that.

Now, on to distribution. Currently all the ripped FLACs total to about 1.51 GB of data. As I said before I'm going to re-encode everything into OGG to make downloading less of a chore, but I'm still going to make the FLACs available separately. I'm probably going to use BitTorrent to distribute it, in addition to any normal download mirrors anyone might be willing to contribute. One thing I'd like feedback on: what bitrate should I encode the OGGs at?
sanmadjack

Postby sanmadjack » Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:17 pm

Just postin to let anyone watching this know that I am still working on it. End of semester stuff and all that.
sanmadjack

Postby sanmadjack » Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:41 am

As the posts since December have been cut off I shall again say that I am still working on this, the launcher is pretty much done, and school is taking up most of my time. A release is imminent.
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:35 am

All posts after 9 feb 2008 are missing - the last db backup had been made that day.
sanmadjack

Postby sanmadjack » Tue May 06, 2008 6:25 pm

It's been many months, but I am again saying this is not dead.
School and work have caused their usual delays, but I'm working on the launcher again using some new ideas I got to simplify it's interface. I know the devs keep an eye on these forums, so I was wondering how I could request the addition of a switch to use custom mine escape music. Most of these soundtracks have mine escape music and I'd hate to see them go to waste. I've also gotten a little hung up on what appears to be some corruption of parts of the Descent Maximum soundtrack, so I'm probably going to re-rip those. Other than that, my semester is more or less done so I'm going to have a lot more time to finish up what little there is left to do on this.

Return to “General Discussions”