Random Q about mods, briefing music, and alternate levels

All other topics around Descent and D2X-XL

Moderators: Frustikus, simX, Aus-RED-5

PhoenixManX-XL

Random Q about mods, briefing music, and alternate levels

Postby PhoenixManX-XL » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:54 am

Dunno if this has been answered or not, but you know how you can create mission mods, right?
Well, can each level contain its own briefing soundtrack (using the Mission Moding technique of D2X-XL)?

Like, for instance, say you have a different mood for a different situation:
A level where you're spying on the enemy and trying not to be seen,
another where your base of operations is under attack,
and another where you have to rescue someone, and it's urgent (i.e. rescuing someone important)

I haven't tested this yet myself, but should I...? :3

On that note, since the implementing of any target exit in version 1.15.75, I dunno if anyone's made use of this feature yet... or have they? :shock:
In any case, I bet one could make a small Level 7 (played in a row, but not the total amounts of levels in the HOG) mission, but based on how well they complete certain levels, they could get more rewarding and/or crucial missions that are tougher but reward the player with the better weapons / powerups early-on in the game (like, defeating all enemy robots that are attacking your base of op's in under 5 minutes -- or under 300000ms via an array of delayed/semaphoric triggers)...

Just something to think about for the next person to create a levelset~
and I would SO play that kind of levelset too, if it involved outdoor AND indoor missions! :D

If I have to make a mission set like this, then by all means I shall. But... where to start...? owo;
I already have a way to make my own briefing files :)
This Phoenix has risen back from the ashes. (Glad I still remember my old password! XD)

--Avatar made by InvaderShade1094 of deviantART, all credits © to her (except for Sar the Tailbot, who is © to me).
The original picture is here ==> http://invadershade1094.deviantart.com/ ... -172792820
Please check it out :')

also, when you send me an invitation on MSN, don't forget to attach a message! ;D
Sirius

Postby Sirius » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:59 am

Not to speak for Diedel, but from prior experience, if you have a credible project (i.e. one that you appear to be putting serious effort into, and there are already things to show for it) running that needs such a feature, it will probably get in there if it doesn't already exist. Different soundtracks for different level briefings is unlikely to be very difficult to implement.
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:01 am

Sorry, Phoenixman, but to me your post is like hearing static noise ... what are you trying to say please? :D
PhoenixManX-XL

Postby PhoenixManX-XL » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:29 pm

Hmm, well I saw a mod for a certain mission set I have (that requires the mod in question) and noticed that, in the textures subfolder of the mod, there were different folders labeled "level01," "level02," etc~ for levels that required a different level set.

I guess I was wondering if folders ("level01," "level02," etc) could be placed in the music subfolder of the mission mod, with a different set of inrto/credits/briefing musics (the latter being the only one of importance). >w<;
If this feature isn't implemented (or isn't supported) then I'm not saying ya have to unless I get off my arse and actually have some sort of mission set to contribute xD
I have ideas... but like I said I haven't made them yet xP

(If my question isn't valid enough, then it shows how much I know about the coding of the game -- which is very little and not quite my forte, and I'm glad to admit that. XD)

I have a feeling this feature is already consciencely imported through mission modding...somehow o.o;
Regardless, I will test this ASAP by "modding" the original Descent 2 a bit. x)
This Phoenix has risen back from the ashes. (Glad I still remember my old password! XD)

--Avatar made by InvaderShade1094 of deviantART, all credits © to her (except for Sar the Tailbot, who is © to me).

The original picture is here ==> http://invadershade1094.deviantart.com/ ... -172792820

also, when you send me an invitation on MSN, don't forget to attach a message! ;D
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:03 pm

I have posted a modding description somewhere in this forum; you can have a level song for each level, but that's it.
PhoenixManX-XL

Postby PhoenixManX-XL » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:19 pm

Confirmed. XP
You're right, Diedel... :oops:

Still, what about the thought of having a set of levels with higher-ranked missions (via alternate level targets for Exits)? I hope someone utilizes that feature soon, because like I said before I have yet to see it in a D2X-XL-specific mission set. :3

(I did see that modding description though; I just thought it'd work for briefings as well, but I guess not. Ah well, it's all good nonetheless ^^)

Yokelassence

Postby Yokelassence » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:58 pm

I think that is already possible. You can rig the robots, powerups and hostages to contain conditional triggers that influence an array of exits. I know how to set up a trigger that opens one door of a set yet closes all others. Timed triggers and semaphore triggers can be used in conjunction to create a scene where all robots in an area must be destroyed to unlock a door yet the trigger is automatically disabled by another timed trigger forcing you to beat that time in order to activate the trigger.
-Core i5 4690 3.5Ghz--GTX 1070 8GB--16GB DDR3 800--Z97 Extreme4--512GB SSD/2TB HDD--Zalman Z11 case-

Old PC that no longer turns on. May it R.I.P:
-Core 2 Duo E8500 3.2Ghz--HD4850 512MB--4GB DDR2-800--Gigabyte EP45-DS3L--640GB Storage--Antec 300 Case-

Return to “General Discussions”