Development Blah: Comments

All other topics around Descent and D2X-XL

Moderators: Frustikus, simX, Aus-RED-5

karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Re: Development Blah: Comments

Postby karx11erx » Mon May 11, 2015 1:00 am

It had a critical bug, so I removed it. Just preparing 1.18.4.
Alter-Fox

Postby Alter-Fox » Mon May 11, 2015 1:23 am

Aah, kk.
Looking forward to it.

So happy to have D2X-XL back up and running.
We live in a universe... It's distracting
=========================================================
beware of ounce
Yoshimitsu

Postby Yoshimitsu » Wed May 20, 2015 2:55 am

I finally got a chance (motivation) to check out the new cartoon renderer. It's pretty cool. Looks like someone has been playing Borderlands :P I don't think that I would choose it over D2X-XL's regular look most of the time but for a bit of variety it's great fun.

Also, for a while my computer succumbed to the constant crashing that a few others experienced and then before I could get down to serious testing/reporting I got an uncontrollable urge to play Assassin's Creed; go figure. But I just played through a few Descent 2 Vertigo levels using 1.18.10 and there wasn't a single crash despite lots of saving, loading, fighting, and changing options. Hopefully you got whatever bug was causing the crashes on my machine either by accident or on purpose. Thanks very much, its good to be flying that Pyro again.

BTW have lightmaps been removed? I no longer see options for them in the configuration menu, only basic and standard lighting. The look in game is very different as well.
Windows XP home edition (Service Pack 3 plus all updates)
Asrock Dual Series Motherboard
Onboard Sound (ALC888 Audio Codec) Using Realtek HD Audio Drivers
Intel Core 2 Duo 6400 (2.13Ghz)
2GB RAM
ATI Radeon HD 4850
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Wed May 20, 2015 7:10 am

Did you happen to turn off shader usage in d2x.ini (-use_shaders)?
Yoshimitsu

Postby Yoshimitsu » Wed May 20, 2015 5:42 pm

You know, that's entirely possible. I realized recently that I have been using my original d2x.ini file from version 1.4.xx so I adopted the newest at the time (renamed the default-d2x.ini from version 1.17.120) and set the switches to my preference. I may very well have overlooked the -use_shaders switch, I'll check this evening when I get home and report back.

Would anaglyph rendering be disabled by that switch as well? I tried to turn that on last night too to see what the cartoon style would look like in 3D. It didn't work but I assumed that the two styles were incompatible.

One more thing. I'll be posting soon over in the remodeling thread but I thought I'd say briefly that I finally restarted work on that 3D cockpit model last night. I've made a decision that means a big change and an almost complete remodel that will lead to way fewer polygons and also a better looking, possibly more authentic product. Updates and pictures soon.
2GB RAM
ATI Radeon HD 4850
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Wed May 20, 2015 7:32 pm

3D cockpit again? Very cool! :thumb:
Yoshimitsu

Postby Yoshimitsu » Thu May 21, 2015 3:09 am

Hey good call Karx. Setting -use_shaders to 1 made lightmaps come back. They are even computing faster than I'm used to! :D This updated d2x.ini has more options than the old one I was using and also better, clearer, instructions
2GB RAM
ATI Radeon HD 4850
Yoshimitsu

Postby Yoshimitsu » Sat May 23, 2015 5:20 pm

I just happened to look at the version history for the newest release and saw this:

"Improved: Players can now pick up some of the ammo in a vulcan ammo clip, and D2X-XL will keep track of the ammo remaining in the ammo clip and only remove the clip when it is empty"

That makes me really happy. It's a feature I didn't know I wanted but now that its there, I can't believe none of us thought of it before. The question is, can we pick up a small amount of ammo from a spare vulcan cannon and leave it floating with just a bit less in it?
2GB RAM
ATI Radeon HD 4850
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Sat May 23, 2015 6:20 pm

I only changed the behavior for ammo clips, not for guns. Didn't this work for guns the way you are describing anyway?

[Edit]

Update: D2X-XL already handled Vulcan and Gauss guns the way you described it, and will only take as much ammo from them as the player can pick up, keeping the gun with a reduced ammo count. I don't know whether other Descent versions handle it like that, but D2X-XL does so for many years already.
Sirius

Postby Sirius » Sun May 24, 2015 5:38 pm

The original version of the game didn't seem to correctly track that - I'm not sure exactly what happened, but you could take ammo from a gun someone dropped and after they picked it back up, the two of you combined would have more ammo than you started with. Because of that, multiplayer games usually got to the point where every single Gauss cannon had 20,000 ammo (or 40,000 if there were ammo racks).
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Sun May 24, 2015 6:39 pm

Well, D2X-XL keeps track of it for years already, and is now using the same mechanism to preserve Vulcan ammo when players cannot not take the entire ammo it contains.
Alter-Fox

Postby Alter-Fox » Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:53 pm

I hope the icing doesn't scrape off when I try scraping my ship against the wall... :D
We live in a universe... It's distracting
=========================================================
beware of ounce
Pumo
D2X-XL Expert
D2X-XL Expert

Postby Pumo » Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:37 pm

I've been playing with the latest versions of D2X-XL, made some test level with fog and it looks really beautiful!
The fog brings an excellent atmosphere to levels, and would look superb on the icy terrain of PM level 10.

However, I got a couple of suggestions:

1- If it's not too hard to implement, an option to customize light/dense fog color (perhaps per level, not per cube) would be pretty cool!

2- I think a checkbox to enable/disable ship scraping sound would be a better option than deleting the .wav files, specially as they get installed again everytime D2X-XL is updated.
[Pumo software main website] - Pumo Mines current progress: 60%
-SYSTEM SPECS-
CPU: Intel Core i7 4790 3.6 GHz (4 GHz Turbo)
RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333MHZ
SSD: Kingston SSDNow V300, 240GB
HDD: Seagate 1TB 7200RPM SATA
External HDD: Seagate Backup Plus Slim 1TB 5400RPM
Video: nVidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti OC 4GB
Sound: RealTek High Definition Audio
Display 1: LG 24M38H 24" 1080p HD LED Monitor
Display 2: Dell 19" 1440x900 TFT Monitor
FinnFann

Postby FinnFann » Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:48 pm

Pumo wrote:I've been playing with the latest versions of D2X-XL, made some test level with fog and it looks really beautiful!
The fog brings an excellent atmosphere to levels, and would look superb on the icy terrain of PM level 10.

However, I got a couple of suggestions:

1- If it's not too hard to implement, an option to customize light/dense fog color (perhaps per level, not per cube) would be pretty cool!

2- I think a checkbox to enable/disable ship scraping sound would be a better option than deleting the .wav files, specially as they get installed again everytime D2X-XL is updated.

I'm not a map editor so no idea on 1, but it'd probably be cool. Number 2 fully agree. Since we do have a toggle for other sounds like shield warnings.

Return to “General Discussions”