What Difficulty do you play at?

All other topics around Descent and D2X-XL

Moderators: Frustikus, simX, Aus-RED-5

TheZealotQ

What Difficulty do you play at?

Postby TheZealotQ » Fri May 13, 2011 4:40 am

Since my gaming experience began with Marathon, and Bungie introduced into Marathon Infinity the "Oath of the Vidmaster" whereby the player was encouraged to play the game at the highest difficulty, using the Fist for to kill Every Single Living Thing in a level, I have always tried to play every game at the hardest setting I could manage: typically the next to hardest setting (I do want to be able to finish the game). So that's my bias.

Descent is another challenge entirely. I am able to play, not die much, and have fun and a challenge at Hotshot difficulty with AI set to to Very High, just 1 point short of extreme. At extreme, I have witnessed no end of suppressive fire, keeping me from ever getting out of the door. Such sitting and waiting for extended periods makes the game just less fun for me.

I have only fully beaten the trilogy at Rookie difficulty without dying, and I intend to play through it again with some dying. I am trying to pick a difficulty to stick with, but it seems like there are some places you cant help but die over and over.

I have tried playing at Ace lately and died over and over even in areas that I don't think of as deathtraps. Maybe I just need some practice?

So my question is: what difficulty/aggression settings do you play at regularly? at maximum?
Ressk

Re: What Difficulty do you play at?

Postby Ressk » Fri May 13, 2011 5:26 am

aggresion=default
difficulty=beat it on rookie, started on hotshot.
I just found some sections turning into slog's through ridiculous amounts of fire, and in descent 1-2 i have never been really good at dodging homer's.
i think the spots that i went down a level were the water-world (quartzon?)(down to normal) and the ice world (down to rookie)
descent 3, on the other hand, beat that on hotshot, mostly due to the vastly more open level design.
and i am now going back through, gonna try to get through everything on at least normal.
as for other games, i always try to do it on hard the first time through, as the victory is so much sweeter in the end...
Ben K

Postby Ben K » Fri May 13, 2011 9:20 am

I usually play at Ace. Insane if I want a challenge, Hotshot if I want easy mode.
IMarvinTPA

Postby IMarvinTPA » Fri May 13, 2011 10:27 am

I remember being able to play well in Ace when I was younger and using two normal Gravis Joysticks. I can't remember HOW I had them set up now. I've been using a Logiteh Dual Action (PS2 style) controller lately and making it through the games on Hot Shot. Sadly, I can't 3-way chord with my setup because I use the DPad for up/down slide (and nothing horizontally because it is extra sensitive to those.)

IMarv
Alter-Fox

Postby Alter-Fox » Fri May 13, 2011 2:02 pm

I've beat all three games (including the expansions for D2 and D3) on Rookie, and I've beat D2 CS twice on hotshot (once in XL, once in rebirth for the heck of it). I think I died twice in the XL playthrough, once on level 21 and I can't remember where the other one was. I didn't die at all in the other playthrough. I've also beat D2 Vertigo on hotshot in XL (no deaths, I think).

For custom missions I usually play on hotshot now, but depending on the difficulty of the mission I might switch it down to rookie (e.g. Obsidian).

I freely change the AI agressivity setting while I play depending on what kind of challenge I feel like, I don't consider that cheating - and I'll sometimes turn it up in the middle of a level if I feel like more challenge, it's not just getting turned down throughout the mission.

One point of interest I noticed in D2 CS on hotshot both times I played through was that the fire boss was actually harder than the (infamus) ice boss. I found a really easy way to deal with the ice boss that worked both times.
That said, the ice boss is much harder in the Descent Maximum campaign, because I don't have the option of that strategy.
We live in a universe... It's distracting
=========================================================
beware of ounce
Ben K

Postby Ben K » Fri May 13, 2011 9:46 pm

IMarvinTPA wrote:Sadly, I can't 3-way chord with my setup because I use the DPad for up/down slide (and nothing horizontally because it is extra sensitive to those.)

Generally it's a good sign you need to change your setup when your movement is restricted.
IMarvinTPA

Postby IMarvinTPA » Fri May 13, 2011 11:24 pm

I don't think the input device is the optimal choice entirely. But it is a convenient size and I already own it. I don't suck with it, I'm just afflicted Kahn's disease. (But I can roll with shoulder buttons to change the horizontal plane.)

IMarv
Alter-Fox

Postby Alter-Fox » Sun May 15, 2011 5:19 am

I never learned to trichord and I honestly don't care. I'm good enough in both single and multi to be happy with it.

Of course this may be a case of 'the worst track ever' syndrome - I made a track in TrackMania with the only point to be so bad that no-one would download it, uploaded it on TrackMania eXchange as a kind of experiment, with a description of all its flaws in an incredibly positive tone, and of course it got downloads. I was trying to see whether it was tone, or content that was more important for this kind of advertising.

If this is confusing look at the track description here: http://united.tm-exchange.com/main.aspx?action=trackshow&id=3638200#auto
We live in a universe... It's distracting
=========================================================
beware of ounce

Return to “General Discussions”