brief checkin etc

All other topics around Descent and D2X-XL

Moderators: Frustikus, simX, Aus-RED-5

Capt. Blackwood

brief checkin etc

Postby Capt. Blackwood » Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:43 pm

Ok, sorry i haven't been active...

got a job in web design, and well I've been having issues with my computer.

I was playing oblivion and the computer just resets, completely, no errors, no windows logs, nothing in the bios. I reinstalled both game and windows using various driver versions, and software updates. Still get the same result. I tried the game w/o mods and the computer still shut down. So I loaded another game (NFS SHIFT), didn't get to the practice race and the computer shuts down.

I decided to benchmark the card...for problems...the test didn't even start and the computer shuts down.

I've done a complete system check. CPU's good, mobo's good, but when I got to the VGA test, the machine shut down.

I'm convinced it's either the PSU or the GPU. the PSU is around 3-4 years old, and the GPU is just about 2-3.

According to BIOS all is well, however according to the software i'm running my 12 volt rail reports anywhere from 10.53 to 10.67 Volts.

Hardware monitor Winbond W83627DHG
Voltage 0 1.14 Volts [0x8F] (CPU VCORE)
Voltage 1 1.87 Volts [0xEA] (VIN1)
Voltage 2 3.22 Volts [0xC9] (+3.3V)
Voltage 3 4.82 Volts [0xC9] (+5V)
Voltage 4 10.65 Volts [0xBF] (+12V)
Voltage 5 1.58 Volts [0xC6] (VIN5)
Voltage 6 1.50 Volts [0xBC] (VIN6)
Temperature 0 50°C (121°F) [0x32] (SYSTIN)
Temperature 1 43°C (109°F) [0x56] (CPUTIN)
Temperature 2 125°C (256°F) [0xF9] (AUXTIN)
Fan 1 3000 RPM [0xE1] (CPUFANIN0)

Part of me says PSU. I don't want to blow money, I'm very close to getting my first car here.

Now...

Ok, so based on all that crap, games that don't run up the power run great, ultima etc...I know what I can play and what will shut me down (Which rules out my Birthday Gift: Portal 2).

I had a dream recently that took place in Freespace. I'm gonna try my luck with that and other games I've been meaning to play. The only problem is, I forgot the link to the site where i can the the source code...etc...it's a wiki...

Freespace II Wiki or something like that.

Help a pilot out here :D

:cheers:
DIVE! DIVE! DIVE! HIT YOUR BURNERS PILOT!
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Re: brief checkin etc

Postby karx11erx » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:48 pm

Umm ... the VGA test fails, but you think it's the PSU?

I say it's the graphics card. Maybe it's getting too hot? Or it got too hot once which triggered a bad soldering spot which now makes the card fail whenever it heats up a bit?

How many fans does your case have?
pokeman7452

Postby pokeman7452 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:03 am

It could be the PSU, especially if you added or upgraded something recently. You could use a power supply calculator (I'd say add 50-100w overhead if you use a simpler calculator), or you could disconnect all non essential components (especially CD and HDD) and try to run the VGA test.

When my PSU was failing, it would actually CTD most games before it died, quite an odd way to go out, better than a hard reset though.
Laptop: (outdated)——————————————————————————————Desktop:
ASUS G72GXBBCDDDHLMPPPRTVWcdeefghimnoorruyz2 5 6 8000+-./()Newegged
Core 2 Duo (2.5Ghz)ABBDDGHLMPPPRSSTUVWXcdefgimnry6 78000+-/i5 3570K (4.0-4.7ghz)
6GB DDR2ABCDGHLMPPPSSTUVWXcdeefghimnoorruyz2 5 7 8000+-./()16GB DDR3
Geforce GTX 260MABBCDDDHLPPPRSSUVWdghimnoruyz2 5 7800+-./()GTX650Ti
80GB + 500GB HDDACDLMPPPRSSTUVWXcdeefghimnoorruyz2 267-./()2X500GB in RAID0 + 1TB
DL DVD+-RWABBCGGHMPPPSSTUXcdeefghimnoorruyz2 2 5 678000./()52X CD-R | HD DVD/Blu-Ray, DL DVD+-RW + LS
Win 7 Home Pre/XP ProABBCDDDGGLMRSSTUVcdfghuyz22568000+-.()Win 7 Pro/XP Pro
Frustikus
D2X-XL Team
D2X-XL Team

Postby Frustikus » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:18 am

I would check the power supply with a power supply tester. Good computer stores have it in their workshop.
I would test the graphics card in another PC. If it won´t work there too and if the guarantee is expired, I would remove and clean the cooler (new thermal grease, remove dust).
Try a program to limit the 3D clock (Riva Tuner). Does the card work with a reduced clock in games, it might be a heat problem. Combine this test with the suggestion from Pokeman7452: "or you could disconnect all non essential components (especially CD and HDD) and try to run the VGA test".

If I am to guess, I would tap the PSU. 11.7 volts is the lowest limit on the 12 volt rail.
Intel Q9550 (E0) @ 3420 MHz and standard voltage with Sonic Tower Rev.2, Geforce GTX 260 (896 MB), Asus P5Q Deluxe, 6 GB GSkill DDR2-1066, 2x500 GB Seagate @ Raid 0, Soundblaster XFi, Sharkoon Rebel12 Case, Teufel Concept Magnum 5:1, Samsung 2494 SW , Genius Navigator 535, Logitech Wingman FF, Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Capt. Blackwood

Postby Capt. Blackwood » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:55 pm

I discussed it with multiple people on multiple boards. An IT guy at HP tells it's PSU just by what I'm telling him. Some say PSU, some say GPU. This card does idle around 55-60 C. I've got 5 Chassis fans, 2 on the PSU, 1 GPU and 1CPU which just got replaced cos that was idling at a temp that made me cringe. This card has a cut off point at 79 C which shuts the computer down. But the highest I've ever hit with it was 75C.

Oh just wanna point out. I don't overclock anything on this computer. Stock Speeds have kept me happy for years.

Since I'm in the process on heading out on my own, I'm not gonna do any big replacements on this computer. I'm not even gonna replace the mobo, 4 years old and passed all tests...so it's ruled out.

I'm not an exact hardware Genius. Either way, I'm not gonna do anything hardcore for a while.

But hell, I've got the Ultima series to play, and from what the teacher who gave them to me told me...this is gonna take a long ass time.
DIVE! DIVE! DIVE! HIT YOUR BURNERS PILOT!

Return to “General Discussions”