are these usable models files?

All other topics around Descent and D2X-XL

Moderators: Frustikus, simX, Aus-RED-5

karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Re: are these usable models files?

Postby karx11erx » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:42 pm

You need to use two different player profiles.

Can you find out and tell me which effects at what settings create the difference?

If you cannot see stuff with v1.15 you can with v1.14 something in your game setup is fouled up.

You should probably create two completely different installations for the two versions. Try the -userdir switch for an alternative game data folder (this switch specifies the global game folder, not the user specific one).
lloyd

Postby lloyd » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:30 am

It looks like the difference in rendering performance is not nearly as great as I reported at first, *IF* I unload all other applications from memory.

I tried again with 1.15, with nothing else running, and was able to set rendering and effects quality up high and video performance was excellent. I think my previous post was essentially a "false alarm," for which I apologize. I had my mod rendering settings too low previously to see the modded powerups and so forth. I am able to see them OK now on 1.15.290.

I did find that if I set "glow" on, then the video gets bad when firing for example gauss at a robot. I have to keep "glow" off.

Overall I am pleased and I certainly would prefer 1.15.290 over 1.14.117.

I will do some more tests, but it looks like 1.15 is running well, simply needing much more memory than 1.14.
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:09 am

I'd rather have news like that than a real problem. ;)

Are you able to compare their memory consumption for equal settings?
lloyd

Postby lloyd » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:50 am

Should be able to do that by logging in via ssh from another computer on the LAN. I'll send you some comparative data later.

I just had about 2 hours of great d2x-xl singleplayer fun, thanks much! But our real love is d2x-xl multiplayer, so I have to get d2x-xl set up for my son on our other PC.

Return to “General Discussions”