Daniel Wentz is the man!

All other topics around Descent and D2X-XL

Moderators: Frustikus, simX, Aus-RED-5

karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Re: Daniel Wentz is the man!

Postby karx11erx » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:08 pm

Alter-Fox wrote:If I upload some of my music to soundcloud (or MySpace or anywhere else) without a download link; and someone manages to find a way to get it anyway; I say they've earned it and they deserve to have it for their cleverness.

If you have secured your computer with a firewall and a password, and someone still manages to break in, steal your bank data and take away all your money - do you also say they have earned it for their cleverness?

Sorry alter, but your argument isn't smart at all.

If Dan wanted his stuff to be downloaded and spread over the inet without his consent and control, he would have put up a download link, me thinks.
Hawkins
Location: /Universe/Milky-way/Sol/Earth/Europe/Greece/Athens/~

Postby Hawkins » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:47 pm

He wouldn't have put it on the cloud either D, not without knowing the risks. After all, being able to hear it at discretion from the site is almost like having it downloaded. The real deal here is not making use of this piece of art, which is the case here. Lemme say that while indiscretionary use of the content is forbidden, Wentz may allow the use of this content for a Descent port. Especially if it's a FOSS port. Despite that still allowing someone to obtain the file, legally it is allowed to be present (played) in the port, via his permissions. And D2X-XL is one happy Wentz-remixed Descent port.
:cheers:
Gigabyte® GA-X48-DQ6
Intel® Core 2™ Quad Q6600 @2.4GHz
ATi(AMD®) Radeon™ HD4870
Sykes

Postby Sykes » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:51 pm

Alter-Fox wrote:Don't be so quick to conclude that. I wouldn't consider it disrespectful.
If I upload some of my music to soundcloud (or MySpace or anywhere else) without a download link; and someone manages to find a way to get it anyway; I say they've earned it and they deserve to have it for their cleverness -- even if it means losing a bit of money (when there's money involved). The fact that I'm getting money at all obviously means that a lot of people aren't so creative.

Unfortunately, most of the world, particularly in America, doesn't look at it this way. They would consider it stealing. If they don't offer a way to give it to you for free, they expect you not to take it for free.
Alter-Fox

Postby Alter-Fox » Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:46 am

Okay, I take it back.
We live in a universe... It's distracting
=========================================================
beware of ounce
darklord42

Postby darklord42 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:42 am

I have done similar things with my own music, not for loss of revenue mind you. (So far I don't make a cent) But, so that I can ensure that my work is in my name. If he wants to make a public release to a community to improve a game, he will.
Macbook Pro 6,2
Mac OS. 10.9.3
2.8 GHz Intel i7
8 GB RAM
GeForce GT 340M 512mb/Intel HD Graphics
Intel HD Audio
Vertigo1

Postby Vertigo1 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:42 am

Hello,

For anyone interested - downloads are now enabled for the Descent ][ music tracks on my soundcloud account. I'm coming up with a plan for the rest, but I'm more than happy to share these now.

http://soundcloud.com/daniel-wentz/descent-briefing
http://soundcloud.com/daniel-wentz/descent-title-redux

Thanks for your patience, and thanks for developing and supporting D2XL
-
DW
Hawkins
Location: /Universe/Milky-way/Sol/Earth/Europe/Greece/Athens/~

Postby Hawkins » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:24 am

!!! AWESOME!
:omg:
Welcome to the D2X-XL community, one of two currently maintained cross-platform FOSS ports of Descent.
Gigabyte® GA-X48-DQ6
Intel® Core 2™ Quad Q6600 @2.4GHz
ATi(AMD®) Radeon™ HD4870

Return to “General Discussions”