Lost Levels 18 and 22 palette swap?

All other topics around Descent and D2X-XL

Moderators: Frustikus, simX, Aus-RED-5

Alter-Fox

Re: Lost Levels 18 and 22 palette swap?

Postby Alter-Fox » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:51 pm

KakHome wrote:Well to start it's not supposed to be obvious how to break out of jail. :P

But when you're supposed to do it most game designers will make it easier than that, or at the very least drop subtle hints to help the player figure it out. I mean, in today's interactive storylines, not making at least the fact that you're meant to escape obvious is pretty much telling the player "you're supposed to wait here for something to happen". I guess locking you up with your ship is a pretty good clue but it could also be considered an engine limitation :P. If I was remaking the Lost Levels story on, say, the Source engine, that level would be probably the only one on foot, cuz otherwise Malcolm is admitting he's an idiot, and even if he is an idiot I get the impression he's not the sort of guy to admit that. I still say there should have been an energy center in the start room, otherwise it's very easy to make the mission unwinnable if you can't figure out what to do with the phoenix cannon.
We live in a universe... It's distracting
=========================================================
beware of ounce
Alter-Fox

Postby Alter-Fox » Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:49 am

It is VERY good, but it has at least one crippling bug (though I'm not sure that bug still causes a crash in XL, XL has a tendency to be compatible even with vanilla levels that crash every other version of the game).
Incidentally I finished all 3 Doom games but I don't remember hearing the track in that level in any of them. Which song was it?
EDIT: Never mind, it's the suspensful, pre-climax style song for that final charge into the spirit world that is probably unsuitable for anything but suspenseful, pre-climax style environments, which that level is NOT, by the virtue of being only one level. It makes me glad I rarely bother to listen to the custom midi music anymore. Did I mention the song has no bass at all?
beware of ounce
Alter-Fox

Postby Alter-Fox » Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:13 am

The songs from Doom actually have titles by the way. Didn't you know that? :P They're kind of obvious and pointless titles but they're better than "E1M5", or "game28". ;)

And you didn't read the edit to my post. I may have come off a little ticked off, it's not because I don't think that song is good music. The Spirit World was the only level in Doom 2 that actually felt like it had any sort of story, and that feeling came entirely from the music. I've been writing music for games for years even though I'm only just starting to do it professionally, I can appreciate what the music is supposed to be and so it makes me a little ticked off to see it used for a situation that doesn't even have so much as a climax.
beware of ounce
Alter-Fox

Postby Alter-Fox » Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:01 am

I don't think it's good enough to use it for anything less than what it was meant for because it just feels so specific. But each to his own. I don't need to play maps I don't like. Or I can always play them with different music.
beware of ounce
Alter-Fox

Postby Alter-Fox » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:03 am

First, again, DFW is a she. Best kept non-secret and all the thread derailment.
Second, I had no idea that missions could change the names of the difficulty level? And I've never seen it happen either, even with Lost Levels.
Third, they're called briefings and I always read them especially when they have logistics on the last page. It didn't exactly help the last time I played, and now I'm having trouble getting Entropy 2 to work at all (my computer doesn't like some missions, it's not just D2X-XL with this problem). I don't like looking at triggers in the editor but I know when it's a good idea that will save me hours of negative emotions.
beware of ounce
Sirius

Postby Sirius » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:07 am

There is a way of doing that, by replacing descent.tex (or .txb) I think it was. That's where all the game text is defined, including for menus. Probably wouldn't play too nicely with XL though (or Rebirth for that matter).
Alter-Fox

Postby Alter-Fox » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:28 pm

But is it obvious what they do immediately after you shoot them? That's usually the reason I look at triggers in editors. To save me hours of searching for unexplored areas on a crowded automap.
beware of ounce
Enzo03

Postby Enzo03 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:17 pm

KakHome wrote:Actually the descent.txb file associated with Lost Levels (it's lostlvls.txb rename to descent.txb in some earlier versions) works perfectly fine with both ports.

I know of no other missions that come with a txb.

Any level with a briefing or (in the case of D1 levels) exit tunnel sequence has a TXB file.
Some people are like Slinkies. They aren't really good or even useful for anything but they always manage to put a little smile on your face when you give them enough of a push down the stairs.
IppoSenshu

Postby IppoSenshu » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:22 pm

Hello,

I need help in Descent Lost Levels (Level 15). I can't get out of the hallways in the yellow door. I try everything but it won't work. I'm trying it since 1-2 hours without any result.
Maybe someone can do it for me? It would be very nice, thanks!
Last edited by IppoSenshu on Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'll never give up until the very end!
Alter-Fox

Postby Alter-Fox » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:51 pm

Seriously? KaK removed all his posts? Or someone else did?
So it looks like I had a bizzare conversation with myself. I'm... ok with that actually :lol: . It's funny.

@IppoSenshu, you should probably start a new thread for your question. This thread doesn't actually have anything to do with... well... anything anymore. The entire point of it has apparently been removed, and you're probably not going to get help in a thread populated almost entirely by me anyway :P.
beware of ounce

Return to “General Discussions”