D2X-XL and the Oculus Rift

All other topics around Descent and D2X-XL

Moderators: Frustikus, simX, Aus-RED-5

rodman

Re: D2X-XL and the Oculus Rift

Postby rodman » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:55 am

Hi p1agu3, materialdefender, karx11erx,

I modified rev 1.15.62 for 3D side-by-side rendering using a LG 3D Monitor with a polfilter and/or a Samsung 3D Monitor with shutter glasses. It looks really *great* with 3D glasses.
I'll get the rift also in may and I'm *very* interested to make it run with the rift.
Things to be done:
- rendering the hud for both images
- postrendering the distortion for the rift
- headtracking
How can we proceed here? I can modify the actual revision with my changes und send it to karx11erx, if it is ok for you. You can check it (its not great code, but there are only small changes) and putting it into the trunk.
Who could do the modifications for hud-rendering? And Headtracking?
I can try to get the distortion code for the rift.
Blackvertigo1

Postby Blackvertigo1 » Thu May 23, 2013 10:03 pm

I'm wanting to get one of these.

Including a logitech surround sound around-ear headset with built in microphone and a thrustmaster joystick with a detachable throttle control.

I hear they will have a SDK later on in the VR gear.

This package should go snugly with almost all of the games I have.

~ The Material Defender
The Material Defender
My ship: Descent 3's Pyro-GL; All other ships are a work of fiction.
My technologies: Shielding, Energy Weapons, Warp, Cloaking, Materialization, Holographics, Levitation, Harnessed Fusion
Weyrman
D2X-XL Expert
D2X-XL Expert

Postby Weyrman » Fri May 24, 2013 1:52 am

I just got one of these yesterday! logitech surround sound around-ear headset with built in microphone. Very nice too.

So looking forwards to an Oculus Rift, hopefully for Christmas :gotit:
-SYSTEM SPECS-
MBoard:"GigaByte Z68X-UD3H-B3" Motherboard
CPU: Intel i7 E2600 3.40GHz
RAM: 8GB DDR3 2133MHZ
HD: WDC 10EARX 1TB SATA
Video: GigaByte 1G ATI 4890
Monitor: Asus VS428 LCD 24"
Sound: Onboard - now with connected 5.1 sound system
overdhill

Postby overdhill » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:10 am

I was thinking the other day. Has anyone considered that when you are wearing the OR you will have a hard time using the keyboard or any cockpit switches (low end to high end pit building)? No matter how many switches and hats your HOTAS has you will always need to use other input devices. For this you need to be able to see them. Going to be kinda hard with the OR on your head. I am sure for more simple games the OR will be impressive but for hard core sims I can see problems popping up when trying to use it.

Just a thought
p1agu3

Postby p1agu3 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:56 pm

overdhill, your point is sound, but for some of us, it's just not a problem.

For example, I am a touch typist and have been for over ten years. When using the Rift and various keyboard keys in Minecraft, Half Life 2, TF2, etc, I didn't have any difficulty discerning which key was which, and I use a very hardcore mechanical keyboard that is unforgiving with "accidental" keystrokes (MX Cherry Reds, single action for key press, no resistance).

The faint of heart may have difficulty using keyboards without seeing them, but there are many of us that won't be affected at all. Wait until you try the Rift yourself (consumer version, perhaps) and you may find it much easier than you think. Everyone has this concern, which is why new VR games will require new methods of control to gain mass adoption, but that isn't what this project is at all. D2X-XL is hardcore. The name itself basically screams it.

You are correct about sims having far more controls than a usual game, and that is definitely a problem, but off-topic (had to say it, sorry). Luckily, the final consumer Rift prototypes often seem to have two cameras onboard on the front of the device. It doesn't take a genius to figure out why. A software hook to rig up the camera is all that we can't see yet. =)

For all interested parties, I ended up selling my devkit because while the tech is amazing, it will feel underwhelming next year, and I wasn't about to pass up the ability to sell it and get twice what I paid. Besides that, I simply didn't have time to devote to developing with it. I'm unsubscribing to this thread, finally, because I won't even have a Rift again for another year, at least. Have fun out there!

I hope someone keeps working on this. I'll check back after a long while.
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:45 pm

That's my opinion, too. Chose a good controls layout, and you should be fine. I e.g. have all keys I need on the numeric keypad and no problems to hit them blind.
quadrophoeniX

Postby quadrophoeniX » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:00 pm

Huh... did I miss something? Has Rodman's sbs mode made it into the official branch yet?
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:14 pm

Nope. I have made most code changes and additions myself (including side-by-side rendering for 3D TVs).
quadrophoeniX

Postby quadrophoeniX » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:41 am

Allright, but so now there is SBS mode in D2X-XL? That's great news. I must admit that due to a - much more complicated than expected - move my PC at home hasn't been set up since a couple of months and still isn't (klingt komisch, ist aber so) and also before I didn't find much time to descent....
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:38 pm

It will be available in the next version (the code is already checked into the SVN repo, but the Rift code is not finished yet).
Tedious

Postby Tedious » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:16 pm

Hi

Just had to register to comment and ask if someone else have considered using the LeapMotion controller to steer?

I was thinking a setup where u hold 2 "soft" balls under your hands/palms, on the table or on chair arm rests.
Then use the LeapMotion to track your hand and finger movements, so you could shoot or launch rockets with just sqeezing one finger.

Steering by rolling, turning and twisting the "balls", pushing them flat to "crouch" or lifting/sqeezing to rise up. etc.

Would not need any other controllers since LeapMotion can track all fingers and hand movements.

I think it would feel natural to steer like that and also you would not tire up your hands by holding them aloft all the time you play.

This would fit PERFECT with the Oculus Rift

Also would be nice to separate the steering and looking around from POW.
Weyrman
D2X-XL Expert
D2X-XL Expert

Postby Weyrman » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:16 am

Oh WOW :omg:

Has that grabbed my interest! :!: :drool:

I would love to try one.
-SYSTEM SPECS-
MBoard:"GigaByte Z68X-UD3H-B3" Motherboard
CPU: Intel i7 E2600 3.40GHz
RAM: 8GB DDR3 2133MHZ
HD: WDC 10EARX 1TB SATA
Video: GigaByte 1G ATI 4890
Monitor: Asus VS428 LCD 24"
Sound: Onboard - now with connected 5.1 sound system
quadrophoeniX

Postby quadrophoeniX » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:14 pm

That'd be too much of virtual for me. I'd rather go with 2 of these to put my greedy hands on ;)
rodman

Postby rodman » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:42 pm

We have the leap motion and precise motion tracking is currently not possible. It is actually not suited for steering descent. The Stem looks much better for this purpose.
quadrophoeniX

Postby quadrophoeniX » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:19 pm

And not to say I'd be too unhappy with my 3DConnexion Space Pilot ;)

Return to “General Discussions”