D2X-XL and the Oculus Rift

All other topics around Descent and D2X-XL

Moderators: Frustikus, simX, Aus-RED-5

materialdefender

Re: D2X-XL and the Oculus Rift

Postby materialdefender » Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:06 am

Two (edit: one, edit2: zero) more dumb questions, sorry. I promise to pester you as little as possible...

Edit: Obsolete > deleted

Thanks and a nice weekend to you!
p1agu3

Postby p1agu3 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:10 pm

materialdefender, can you share your progress in this thread? I for one would love to see this come into being, as well as hear about what modifications you're making, specifically, to get this working on the Rift.

I decided to get a dev kit too, and at the time made a vow to myself that I would learn and understand OpenGL libraries and whatever else I needed to understand so that I could get Descent 1 (and 2) working with it. Obviously D2X-XL makes the most sense for a starting point, but if nothing else, I'd like to learn what you're doing so I can try to get the Rift working with other old games with awesome source ports like this.

Perhaps I can help you, too, but I'm really doubting my programming skill at this point - just trying to learn a bit where I can.
materialdefender

Postby materialdefender » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:14 pm

Basic Rift support is more or less done, apart from the HUD that has to be placed differently (and the menus, but most likely I won't do anything about them). Thanks to the stereo rendering karx11erx had already implemented that was pretty easy. In addition to that I made some changes in the renderer to support antialiasing when shaders are enabled. That's a must for the Rift, considering its relatively low resolution.

What's missing rendering wise is support for supersampling the image slightly prior to applying the Rift lens distortion shader, which would enhance the image quality a little bit. Should be pretty easy, but somehow karx11erx renderer doesn't like what I want in this regard... This is a minor issue though.

What's completely missing for now is Rift-headtracking support of course, doesn't make much sense to do anything in this regard, until the dev kit and the SDK are out. If integrating head tracking will be as easy as promised it shouldn't take too long to integrate that once the Rift is out. Maybe I will try to integrate a 3D-cockpit and decouple head tracked looking around from steering the ship, like in an flight sim. But don't count on it.

If you want to help, and have some Photoshop skills you're welcome to help me out with the lightmap and texture overhaul I'm doing additionally to the basic Rift support. I definitely won't be able to pull this one off alone until the Rift arrives.
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:34 am

There is a function named "Draw2DElements" or so handling HUD etc. drawing.

D2X-XL also contains head tracking functions which could be utilized for the Rift.

Once you are done, please send me your code changes and I will look over them and store them in the SVN repo.
materialdefender

Postby materialdefender » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:08 am

Once you are done, please send me your code changes and I will look over them and store them in the SVN repo.

Of course, although I fear your judgement. ;)

So far, I tried hard not to destroy anything. If Rift support is disabled, everything else should behave as it did before. Activating Rift support is done by selecting an additional type of stereo glasses. Seemed to be the most natural way.

The only thing that doesn't behave as intended so far is the shockwave pixel shader, that doesn't work when shaders+antialising are enabled, don't know why. A minor casualty in my book, though.
quadrophoeniX

Postby quadrophoeniX » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:35 pm

materialdefender wrote:Basic Rift support is more or less done, [...] Maybe I will try to integrate a 3D-cockpit and decouple head tracked looking around from steering the ship, like in an flight sim.

:bounce: :joy: :bounce: :joy: :clap: :jump: :cheers: :drink:

and... of course :guru: :guru: :guru:
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:34 pm

Once I have your shaders I will just properly integrate it into the code. I will also be able to properly render the HUD element to both frames (unless this is already happening). Making the head tracker due what you are planning shouldn't be a big deal for me, too.
quadrophoeniX

Postby quadrophoeniX » Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:29 pm

You both rule!! Huge thanks, Diedel, for still putting efforts into that!

Ah, if only that bloody TitaniumGL wrapper would work... too long until January (missed on the backing)...
Weyrman
D2X-XL Expert
D2X-XL Expert

Postby Weyrman » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:02 am

I backed this project and my t-shirt should be in the mail soon, but you guys getting d2x-xl ready for when the unit becomes available gets me really exited!! :joy: :joy: :joy:

Now, enough praise :clap: GET BACK TO WORK :!: :coding: :lolol:
-SYSTEM SPECS-
MBoard:"GigaByte Z68X-UD3H-B3" Motherboard
CPU: Intel i7 E2600 3.40GHz
RAM: 8GB DDR3 2133MHZ
HD: WDC 10EARX 1TB SATA
Video: GigaByte 1G ATI 4890
Monitor: Asus VS428 LCD 24"
Sound: Onboard - now with connected 5.1 sound system
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:53 am

materialdefender,

would you please send me your Rift adapted D2X-XL code by e-mail (karx11erx at hotmail dot com)? Please use a meaningful topic in the about field of the message.

I would like to properly integrate it into the code trunk.
p1agu3

Postby p1agu3 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:45 am

Monthly progress bump. I'm so pumped for this, even if it's incomplete or barely functioning right now. :wink:

I have some Photoshop experience, but sadly have not gotten my feet wet with texturing or creation of lightmaps. Still, I'm open to learning this stuff just to make myself relevant here, and it sounds like some fun to get me doing creative work again.

materialdefender, you said:
Maybe I will try to integrate a 3D-cockpit and decouple head tracked looking around from steering the ship, like in an flight sim. But don't count on it.

This in particular sounds like the best implementation possible in Descent, and would amp up the immersion greatly. For this project, you'd need to create a new "inside cockpit" (low poly) 3D model and texture it, right? I've done some work in Maya in the past, but my 3D modeling skills are rusty and progress may be slow. Perhaps I can assist with the texturing, too(?).

Otherwise since I'm getting my Rift in December (whenever they ship), I can try and do some serious testing for you and try to iron out some bugs, getting completely through the game, etc. Just let me know!
materialdefender

Postby materialdefender » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:56 am

Just a little (non-)update: all of my spare time is consumed by something else for the last weeks (and for some time to come). I haven't forgotten this project though. I will be back :) . There will be something to play with once the Rift is available.
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:18 pm

Please send me your software adaptions, and I will properly integrate them into the D2X-XL software trunk.
materialdefender

Postby materialdefender » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:23 pm

I'd really like to tidy up some things beforehand and finish the shader code to work correctly with the Rifts screen/optics (which it will not in its current state). If for some reason I don't find the time to do that, I'll send you the current code around the time the Rift will ship. No need to worry.
p1agu3

Postby p1agu3 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:36 pm

The first 2000(+) Oculus Rift units have shipped, with 2000 more planned every two weeks or so. Mine will probably be here in May/June as I'm something like 7xxx or 8xxx in line. I'd really like to tinker around with this if possible before the Rift arrives, even if it's not finished. Materialdefender, could we get an update? It's been a while and this is a dream come true for me. I'd hate for you to have put in some serious work and lose the files before anyone else gets hold of them due to hardware failure or something. Thanks. :)

Return to “General Discussions”