D2X-XL or DXX-Rebirth - which is better?

All other topics around Descent and D2X-XL

Moderators: Frustikus, simX, Aus-RED-5

karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

D2X-XL or DXX-Rebirth - which is better?

Postby karx11erx » Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:37 am

Warning: Huge wall of text! :yikes:

"D2X-XL or DXX-Rebirth - which is better?" This question has spawned the usual negative comments about D2X-XL and the usual praise about Rebirth in a discussion thread on Valve's Steam platform for about a month. Funny enough, a bunch of the usual suspects made their appearance there (some of which I suspect may simply be hiding behind a new pseudonym there). I am quite fed up with people making claims about D2X-XL which are either totally generic, unfounded or untrue, so I took the liberty to collect all those statements and reply to them in a spare moment of time I had.

I have invested a tremendous amount of time and energy in D2X-XL and DLE over the years, and while I did a lot of that for much for my own entertainment in the beginning, work on D2X-XL has more and more become a task of supporting its users and keeping the software working for them. The way people who have no idea how much work has gone into D2X-XL and the stuff around it and then come around and just criticize - often in the most unfounded, superficial and personally biased way - are showing a really, really bad attitude and not the least understanding of what OSS and having a choice mean.

Here we go.

Rebirth keeps the original gameplay and look of the game. I feel like XL is overmodded stuff.

You can make D2X-XL look and behave exactly like the original game (d2_3dfx), and you can turn off each and every extra. On the other side, calling hires textures, nicer powerups and player ships and a bunch of effects "overmodded" is quite the exaggeration.

XL is regressive feature creep at its worst.

In fact this says nothing at all about D2X-XL. It only expresses the author's deep rooted resentments and hostility towards the project. The guy making this and other statements in the same spirit was claiming he was all about freedom of choice later on. Saying that and in the same breath trying everything to prevent people from even trying D2X-XL too before making a choice seems quite ironic to me.

I much prefer D1X/D2X-Rebirth over D2X-XL. It never seemed to run well and just didn't feel good when playing.

D2X-XL has tens of thousands of downloads over it's life time. "didn't feel good"? It has the same gameplay and the same physics as the original game. This comment has nothing to do with the actual, real behaviour of D2X-XL.

I tried d2x-xl, it is a hassle to get working, gave me random framerate issues, and has a lot more bugs.

It is a hassle to run a self-extracting archive and download and extract the improved sounds in the D2X-XL main folder?

Rebirth works much better, and people actually play multiplayer with rebirth.

People used to play multiplayer with D2X-XL too. D2X-XL actually had a game tracker years before Rebirth. D2X-XL also allows up to 16 players in maps built for that. Unlike the original Descent and Rebirth, D2X-XL also has a full-blown CTF mode the way it should work. D2X-XL will also automatically download maps from the game host a player trying to join doesn't have. D2X-XL has extensive measures to avoid network issues like powerup spamming. Finally, D2X-XL has a competition mode where you can enforce certain game settings making sure nobody can exploit any extra features D2X-XL has.

The marginally improved graphics and features of XL do not make it play any better!

Make it play better? Maybe not, since D2X-XL doesn't change the gameplay. They make it look better.

If you're looking to hop into random multiplayer games, DXX-Rebirth is the way to go. There are tons of people that play multiplayer (mostly coop or anarchy/deathmatch) every day; the same can't be said for XL."

That's true, but that's not D2X-XL's fault. The last time I played D2X-XL multiplayer, we had a bunch of games with up to twelve players, and they were a blast.

Rebirth, Hands down Rebirth. As someone who used to work on the D2X-XL Project, I can say Rebirth is better

Saying he "worked on the D2X-XL project" is not quite the truth. The guy who wrote this was active in the D2X-XL community for a while and built a few levels, but that's it. He was a D2X XL user like thousands others, nothing more. Now he is trying to give his opinion more weight by making himself looking like the big expert. O.M.G.

XL has a lot of bells and whistles on it. Which makes it amazing if you can get it to run properly on your computer. It's Multiplayer capabilities lack something to be desired.

What do they lack? Tell me please. That would be something that could be changed. Right now, that's a claim that lacks all substance. If one of the two programs seems to be lacking in this area, then it probably is Rebirth (see above).

Rebirth is more true to the original code of Descent, (Original Graphics) and it's Multiplayer capabilities are amazing.

Yes, it is more true to the original code. Which is a total mess written by amateurs. D2X-XL has at least 60% new or rewritten code, most of it C++ class based. I think that D2X-XL's code base is by far the better one. Teach me if you know better, I have only been coding professionally for 25 years. The graphics of Rebirth aren't any more original than those of D2X-XL. Both use OpenGL for rendering which smoothes the rendered image. You could say their output is very similar to d2_3dfx. However, with D2X-XL you can even achieve the blocky look of the original textures, because it allows you to turn off all texture improvement and filtering modern graphics hardware and OpenGL offer.

XL and Rebirth were developed independently

That is true. XL was around for a year at least when Rebirth started.

not all of the changes in either version make it into the other.

Actually I cannot remember a single change in Rebirth that made it into D2X-XL, simply because D2X-XL always is ahead of Rebirth. Rebirth copied a feature or the other from D2X-XL (e.g. the tracker - not that the D2X-XL project invented game trackers though. Let's say D2X-XL had them first).

In particular, Rebirth (with Retro mod) has a lot of multiplayer-focused bugfixes that make it suitable for high level competitive play, which XL is lacking.

Which please? What is D2X-XL lacking? Or better: What do you believe D2X-XL is lacking here? Btw, Homing missiles behave right in D2X-XL (their turn rate is not frame rate dependent in XL for many years already). I have the impression that you have no idea of all the multiplayer features and improvements D2X-XL offers.

XL is a buggy mess. Its only redeeming features are the truckload of new stuff...unfortunately it's also much more unstable even on PCs that can run the damn thing at 120 fps, which is really too bad. I'm pretty sure a major part of it is the lack of testing of newer versions; an older-than-dirt version I remember using had no such issues, and at that point was the only source port still under development. Since everyone and their dog moved to Rebirth, XL's multiplayer coding went completely down the crapper, and thus on the off chance you DO get to play it in MP, game-breaking bugs will make you wish you were playing Rebirth instead. (examples include keys in co-op turning into shield powerups for no damn reason, monsterball crashing the moment a second player joins a match, true CTF randomly crashing upon flag dropoff, all players besides the host being kicked upon going to the second level in a mission in co-op AND vs, and other such beyond-annoying issues). This isn't even getting into the extremely-badly-coded HD resources coding; the medium res textures THAT THE DEV HIMSELF USES are completely and utterly broken in 1.16, with hostages turning into flickering glitches, shield powerups also going flickery, door textures turning into untransparent blobs, and other such bugs that really make me wish I was playing the exceedingly stable Rebirth instead...

That's about the only negative comment about D2X-XL here that does at least contain some facts. The last multiplayer tests I had conducted had gone well, and the multiplayer code hasn't been touched for ages. So the main question here is how old these experiences have been. As far as the texture bugs mentioned go: I have never experienced any of them, and I have been playing D2X-XL a lot in the past. The assumptions about the texture bugs are wrong. It is not the textures' fault when D2X-XL renders something wrong. Again: No bug report -> no bug fix. It's as simple as that.

Admittedly, D2X-XL had been left in a more or less broken state after implementation of the Oculus Rift support since I had other things to do, and since it seemed to work well for me. However, it is still being maintained. Unfortunately I never got a bug report about these issues, so I never could look into them. OSS users have a part in development of the OSS projects they use. Without their feedback and help, bugs may stay unnoticed and required testing may be impossible. Particularly multiplayer testing is rather tedious and difficult if you have to do it all by yourself. In my eyes the attitude behind a comment like the one above is a bad one. D2X-XL is free, and a significant amount of time and effort has gone into it, much of it due to user requests. Just ranting about the program instead of being kind enough to help fixing it is pretty bad style.

(continued below)
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Re: D2X-XL or DXX-Rebirth - which is better?

Postby karx11erx » Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:48 am

The following three key points seem to sum up all the negative feedback about D2X-XL:

a) Personal preference
b) Technical issues
b) Bugs

a) Personal Preference

I have understood that many people simply prefer to play Descent using a mod that changes as little as possible about the software's appearance as they know it from the 1990s and for whom D2X-XL's extra features do not offer much or any added value at all. However, looking at the download numbers of D2X-XL from various hosting sites, there seem to be just as many (maybe more) who do appreciate the extras D2X-XL offers. Claiming D2X-XL would be overmodded on the other side is just nonsense. D2X-XL just more or less offers stuff that is standard in 3D shooters for at least 15 years: Colored lighting, hires textures and models, effects. Nothing special here.

b) Technical Issues

The complaints mostly seem to be about installation and frame rate problems.

Regarding frame rate issues: You cannot run D2X-XL full throttle on a low end system. It is not optimized well, and particually smoke effects can kill your frame rate. D2X-XL's smoke effects are actually pretty good and better than those of almost all modern titles I know until around 2006, but that comes at a cost. D2X-XL allows its users to tweak the related settings for a reason. I don't think people are too dumb to look into these options. I believe they are too lazy. That's entirely their fault though, not D2X-XL's.

Regarding installation Issues: Until recently, it took only five simple steps to install D2X-XL on Windows - now only three steps are required:

1. Download the installer
2. Run the installer
3. Run D2X-XL with the command line switch -fix_setup
4. Download the hires sound archive (optional now)
5. Extract the hires sound archive to the main D2X-XL folder (optional now)

Again, I don't think people are too stupid for that (there were people who didn't know enough about their computer to be able to identify their Descent installation folder, but those were very few). I think they are too lazy. Calling D2X-XL installation a hassle when you just cannot be bothered to perform those few simple steps seems quite outrageous to me.

c) Bugs

No (big) new features will be added to D2X-XL anymore. The only goal I am having with the software is to make it as stable as possible and fix all features that do not work as well as they should. I am working hard on achieving this right now.

As you can see from my previous post, the claims about D2X-XL's multiplayer problems were correct. However, D2X-XL had working fine in this area somewhere in the past. I am addressing these problems already, and some have very simply reasons, like my changing a direct struct or class member access to using setters and getters and doing some minor thing wrong there. As I said above: It is hard to find such problems if you have nobody to help you, and the last related bug reports were from mid 2013 and OS X specific, causing me to blame OS X for it. Now I don't own a Mac, and there are few Mac D2X-XL coders, and their usually limited amount of spare time plus the huge difference in time zones usually does not allow them to support me in interactive testing sessions.

D2X-XLs texture handling has been drastically improvement recently, after my finding ways to closely monitor texture allocation and usage.

A bunch of code causing crashes in certain situations has also been corrected recently.

D2X-XL has been bringing the fun of playing one of the best 3D shooter games of all times back to Descent fans all over the world for over a decade. I will make sure it will stay that way.

karx11erx
pokeman7452

Postby pokeman7452 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:56 pm

Lots of valid points here. I would like to clarify some things though.

Rebirth keeps the original gameplay and look of the game. I feel like XL is overmodded stuff.
XL is regressive feature creep at its worst.
To some, the theme is inconsistent when many of the graphical enhancements are enabled. Having hi-res models, textures, smoke trails, and per pixel lighting in a straight D2 level looks akin to mixing cel-shaded 3D graphics in an 8-bit pixel art sidescroller. They look great in levels designed around D2X-XL, but I don't think the veterans want to drop all the levels they know and love to switch. "Just disable those effects." In other words, remove most of what makes D2X-XL XL. "But D2X-XL is still mechanically better than rebirth." True, but it wasn't when it mattered. I get to that in a minute.

I tried d2x-xl, it is a hassle to get working
First impressions matter, especially for websites. Lets analyze a potential new visitor's flow of what they do upon arriving at descent2.de. I'm no web design analyst, this is based on personal experience and what I have learned regarding visual focus points.

First arrival to the main page: The first thing this visitor sees is that big top text, specifically, he'll probably click either the big yellow "D2X-XL" or "learn more" links.

Arrived at Learn More: If he clicked "learn more", he is given a great explanation of what makes XL better. Unfortunately, not everyone cares about all the changes, he reads the first few categories and say "Good enough for me! Lets get this installed." He scan for links, probably skims past the installation instructions listed under "Simple installation" if he scrolled down, those are in the same color and style as the rest of the feature improvements. So he hits back in his browser.

Back to the main page: He scans for the key word "download". It's not anywhere on the page. He does one of three things.
a) He clicks the yellow "D2X-XL" link, that takes him to the D2X-XL page. This is the most likely result.
b) He reads the entire main page and eventually reads "(click on image to be forwarded to the D2X-XL pages)". Due to the effect of size on focus points, this is one of the last things his eyes land on. Anyway, he clicks the picture and jumps to the D2X-XL page.
c) He scans the entire main page and eventually spots the sidebar. It's small at high resolutions and gray on gray with small orange vertical text, not exactly eye grabbing. Small bug here, throwing the cursor to they very left edge does not reveal the sidebar, you have to move it a few pixels to the right. Notice that in Windows 7, the red 'X' in a maximized window does not visually occupy the very rightmost edge, yet moving the cursor there does trigger it. Same with the start menu in the lower left. The edge of the screen is a natural catch point for the cursor and should trigger nearby elements, here it does not. Anyway, he moves his cursor over the sidebar and the magic "download" keyword is found, nice and bold too. He clicks it and goes to the downloads page! First thing at the top: "D2X-XL - D2X-XL downloads page" Perfect! *click*

The D2X-XL page: Alright, so he sees in massive yellow "Current Version: 1.17.xx". On most freeware software sites (I can provide examples if desired,) clicking a link with a version number downloads that version. Therefore he clicks it. "D2X-XL History" OOPS, not what I'm looking for. *back* So he scrolls down, Ah! There are the binaries. Having them at the bottom of the page is pretty standard, but that "Current version" at the top throws him off. Lets hope he doesn't click it while you are updating (as just happened to me) or else he gets sent to the "Downloads" page for the ultimate circular reference. You aren't, so he clicks the windows binaries and off he goes to extract them.

Nowadays this is where it stops because XL sets up the environment automatically. But back in the day that didn't work. He would get hit with an error and have to return and find the sidebar to access the Installation Guide. Lets read the first few lines: "Introduction", "section", "chapters", sounds like a large textbook. There is no "quick setup", and he would still have to figure out where to download the high-res sounds and the "D2X-XL addon data archive" (which is does not seem to be "required" anymore?) Not so simple. But why do these past issues matter? And why are people still claiming XL is a pain/broken/stupid or whatever?

----------

The D2X war is over, and Rebirth ended with most of the pie. The war was fought back in the darker days of XL, when bugs abounded and multiplayer was a mess. It didn't help not having stable releases. The only build available was the latest nightly, which is generally not a good plan for a one man dev team. This is what my beta tester team idea was trying to solve, but it didn't get very far. Now XL is much better, stable, capable, able to hold it's own. Back in the day, the community tried both and made their choice. Some stayed with XL, most chose rebirth. I hold dual citizenship (as long as I'm allowed,) hoping that one day XL would reach the point it is now rapidly approaching. You could try to convince others to come back. I don't think posting here about how BS their outdated statements are is the way to do it though.

One thing most still don't get is why should those who prefer to play with classic graphics switch to XL at all? Better map possibilities? They have the maps they want. Heck, from my time in the Rangers some of them wanted to just play D1X, even Descent 2 was "too gimmicky" for them. It's just not worth pursuing those players. I think you should focus on continuing to stabilize XL and look to get new Descent players (from Steam and GOG.) Also post around other places that XL is now in a new age of stability in case those who are interested in the features XL has to offer may feel the desire to try it again. Don't try to persuade those who won't listen. This would lead to another issue many had with XL, but that would be better discussed over PM.
Laptop: (outdated)——————————————————————————————Desktop:
ASUS G72GXBBCDDDHLMPPPRTVWcdeefghimnoorruyz2 5 6 8000+-./()Newegged
Core 2 Duo (2.5Ghz)ABBDDGHLMPPPRSSTUVWXcdefgimnry6 78000+-/i5 3570K (4.0-4.7ghz)
6GB DDR2ABCDGHLMPPPSSTUVWXcdeefghimnoorruyz2 5 7 8000+-./()16GB DDR3
Geforce GTX 260MABBCDDDHLPPPRSSUVWdghimnoruyz2 5 7800+-./()GTX650Ti
80GB + 500GB HDDACDLMPPPRSSTUVWXcdeefghimnoorruyz2 267-./()2X500GB in RAID0 + 1TB
DL DVD+-RWABBCGGHMPPPSSTUXcdeefghimnoorruyz2 2 5 678000./()52X CD-R | HD DVD/Blu-Ray, DL DVD+-RW + LS
Win 7 Home Pre/XP ProABBCDDDGGLMRSSTUVcdfghuyz22568000+-.()Win 7 Pro/XP Pro
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:26 pm

Interesting post! :thumb:

I know the sidebar menu sucks from a usability point of view.

I cannot do everything though, and I cannot rebuild the D2X-XL web site using something like php based content generation. Volunteers are welcome.

Most people find the d2x page first, btw.

As far as the community goes: The community did not chose a product, it chose a community. Most Rebirth users are using Rebirth because someone they know recommended it, and because they feel at home at the Rebirth community.

Apart from the Oculus Rift version (1.17), D2X-XL usually was pretty stable. The 1.16 version was around quite long, and it was very stable. That was not the reason for the choice you are claiming the Descent community made (and which is not quite in line with the download numbers I am getting for D2X-XL). A bigger part of the very small verbose part of the community chose Rebirth and promoted it, in the same breath usually trying to put D2X-XL down and shy potential new users off from using it. This is mostly a social phenomenon, and not rooted in technical issues. The not so amazing thing is that a few bad apples in the Rebirth community managed to spoil the entire rest. There are a bunch of long time Rebirth users who have been leashing out against D2X-XL for no other reason than because of disliking me, and apparently their propaganda was pretty effective. Just look at the Descent community hub on Steam: It is littered with Rebirth praise, and additionally too much crap about D2X-XL.

Of course Rebirth is easier to setup than D2X-XL: It doesn't offer anything beyond what the original game had, just OpenGL graphics. That's all! There is actually nothing that would make Rebirth attractive if you are looking for something more than the 20 year old appearance and gameplay of Descent. This is has never been my approach. I wanted Descent to look at least somewhat better than the original, colorless, pixelated, bland game from 1994. The sad thing about the Rebirth propaganda squad is that they are trying to deny that experience to many users who would appreciate it. Ironically, their main arguments for Rebirth have all been proven wrong by the Retro Mod. It was exhilarating to learn that it actually mostly fixed bugs that Rebirth had only introduced! Even the improvements Rebirth has e.g. in its networking code (secure important message delivery) are lacking.

Opposite to what you write, the automatic installation of D2X-XL worked all the time. I only broke it very recently when changing the Linux folder handling, following steel01's feedback.

This is something people are not being told when asking which Descent source port to use. Since D2X-XL has so many things ahead of Rebirth, the Rebirth propaganda squad actually has no other choice than to avoid a direct comparison: They either do not mention D2X-XL at all, or generally claim it would suck, have lots of bugs, or would be "regressive feature creep", as one of the worse critters once wrote. Nobody complains about all the effects of modern games, or source ports of other games (Doom / Quake / Xonotic to name a few) and their expansive configuration menus - why about D2X-XL's? D2X-XL gives its users all power over every feature of the program, and yet that is used to criticize it.

To say it again: The only reason to use Rebirth and not D2X-XL is if you really only want to play the original game with no extras whatsoever. As soon as you would love to see something that is at least halfway visually appealing, D2X-XL is the way to go.
Pumo
D2X-XL Expert
D2X-XL Expert

Postby Pumo » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:31 pm

Well, I agree with Pokeman's post regarding website design, specially the sidebar thingy, but I got very used to it ater all these years of visiting the website.

I would also point the fact that the sidebar 'topics' changes according to the section you're visiting, and maybe a simplified bar with the overall site map would be better, or two bars: one for D2X-XL topics and one for DLE topics.

But hey, I always thought it was just a simple website, and that what it matters the most is the real stuff (the programs in this case). ;)
However, it's true that nowadays (specially on these days of Android and mobile phones/tablets) a more straightforward and minimalistic approach would benefit the website design, but the fact that the website is dedicated to TWO projects at once (D2X-XL and DLE) already makes the task to correctly re-design the site a tough one.

Only thing I can suggest right now is to have DLE on its separate section as it is, but have the latest version download links of D2X-XL right on the front page (like some websites have the download/buy option right at the start, like this one: http://www.ftlgame.com/).

I may have some other ideas, but I will need to first sketch them up.

-----

But back on original topic, I always saw the Rebirth/XL war as a silly childish thing.
Everyone is free to have his/her personal preferences, but the fact that some users from the old days just bashed XL due to personal issues didn't help either. :no:
[Pumo software main website] - Pumo Mines current progress: 60%
-SYSTEM SPECS-
CPU: Intel Core i7 4790 3.6 GHz (4 GHz Turbo)
RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333MHZ
SSD: Kingston SSDNow V300, 240GB
HDD: Seagate 1TB 7200RPM SATA
External HDD: Seagate Backup Plus Slim 1TB 5400RPM
Video: nVidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti OC 4GB
Sound: RealTek High Definition Audio
Display 1: LG 24M38H 24" 1080p HD LED Monitor
Display 2: Dell 19" 1440x900 TFT Monitor
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:48 pm

Pumo wrote:Everyone is free to have his/her personal preferences, but the fact that some users from the old days just bashed XL due to personal issues didn't help either. :no:

That's the main problem, and it is proliferated by those people infecting new Rebirth community members with their resentments, and as I wrote above this is a matter of loyalty to a social group and of attacking everything outside of it, too often w/o having a clue of D2X-XL.
Pumo
D2X-XL Expert
D2X-XL Expert

Postby Pumo » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:02 pm

karx11erx wrote:..That was not the reason for the choice you are claiming the Descent community made (and which is not quite in line with the download numbers I am getting for D2X-XL)...

Indeed I think the main reason is the obsolete personal agendas that ended bleeding through new users as well.
However, I think Pokeman may be also refering to the scenery on the community about 6 years ago, that along the personal issues that are always there and had a negative impact on XL, it also affected negatively the lack of stability XL had on those days due to lots of features being implemented (many of those due to requests from me and yokelassence :mrgreen: ).

But since 1.16 and taking out the early Oculus versions, XL has been pretty stable since some time already (as an example, I see 1.16.27 as one of the more stable from the previous ones, even with its faults and bugs).
-SYSTEM SPECS-
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:55 pm

I have taken some of Pokeman's hints and tried to improve the website a bit. I still need to replace a bunch of the side scrolling menus, but the most important menus are always visible now, and download links are what and where people may expect them to be.
Sirius

Postby Sirius » Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:26 am

Yeah that is much easier to navigate now, especially on mobile.
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:59 am

Good. :)
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:22 pm

Alright, all site menus have now been changed to be static. They are displayed at the left side of the browser window.
Pumo
D2X-XL Expert
D2X-XL Expert

Postby Pumo » Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:40 pm

It's working very nice now, except for the DLE section. There the Site Menu is not available, so you can't go to the home page easily and it doesn't shows the DLE instructions as normal (the ones for objects, triggers, effects, etc)
-SYSTEM SPECS-
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:48 pm

You probably need to flush your browser cache and then reload the page. I am having big problems with my web pages getting stuck in some proxy or the browser cache and not being properly reloaded even if I do a "reload and skip cache".
Weyrman
D2X-XL Expert
D2X-XL Expert

Postby Weyrman » Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:11 am

Re the website I think a "Getting started for Dummies" sort of step by step instructions for first time downloaders with a link to it on the D2x-xl page would be a good idea. Maybe right under Version History. "First time installation instructions"

Here is a suggestion for a page. Edit as you see fit. :D

So you've downloaded D2x-xl and are eager to get it going and try out all the stuff you have been reading about!

First time installation instructions

1. Install D2 to a new (base) folder. Its better to start with a clean install - D2x-xl MUST have the D2 data files to run. It will not run D1 without D2 installed.

2. If you have them, install D1 and D2 Vertigo to the same (base) folder.

3. Run the D2x-xl file that you downloaded, pointing it to the (base) folder you installed D2 into. This will cause the needed folder structure to be formed

4. Download and unpack the hi-res sounds pack into the (base) folder. It has the correct folder structure in it and will put them into the correct place. You will need a copy of 7zip to unpack them.

This is the minimum requirements to run D2x-xl

5. Open the (base) folder and run d2x-xl.exe. On this first run, all the necessary D2 files will be copied to their correct folders and the game willl start.

But where is all the pretty stuff?

To experience D2x-xl in all its glory you need to also download and unpack the hi-res model and texture packs, once again into the (base) folder. They too have the correct folders included and will end up in the correct places.

Note: When D2x-xl is updated all you need to do is download the latest version and unpack it into the (base) folder.

To add more levels download them and unpack them as below

Single player missions into (base)\missions\single
Multiplayer missions into (base)\missions

D2x-xl uses an ini file to set some basic settings. It is found in the (base)\config folder and is called d2x-default.ini
If you want to make any changes, first copy the file and call it d2x.ini and then edit it as you like.
This is because d2x-default.ini will be overwritten with a new copy each time you install a new D2x-xl version.

If for some reason you have trouble getting started, please join the forum and ask for help. There are people willing to help you get going.

Diedel, first unpack of d2x-xl doesn't create a missions folder. It might be a good idea to add a \missions\single folder to the exe file.

Who needs the Data pack?
-SYSTEM SPECS-
MBoard:"GigaByte Z68X-UD3H-B3" Motherboard
CPU: Intel i7 E2600 3.40GHz
RAM: 8GB DDR3 2133MHZ
HD: WDC 10EARX 1TB SATA
Video: GigaByte 1G ATI 4890
Monitor: Asus VS428 LCD 24"
Sound: Onboard - now with connected 5.1 sound system
Pumo
D2X-XL Expert
D2X-XL Expert

Postby Pumo » Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:41 pm

Those instructions are pretty nice Weyrman, specially the .ini part!
And they look very friendly for newbie users. :)

Would be a nice addition to the website indeed.
-SYSTEM SPECS-

Return to “General Discussions”